Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles FA News......Update 3/8/2006

Number5

Last night on WIP 610, Eagles beat writer Mark Eckel started his show off with this statement.....

"On Thursday, at 12:02 am, the Eagles will be on the phone with the agents of three players who should be introduced to the public as Eagles by no later than Friday. Of course Bentley and Jeff Garcia, but the name that would surprise you is Mike Anderson."

He went on to explain that the Eagles will return back to the three headed monster rushing attack and Reid will follow thru with his promise of establishing balance on offense. The run game would protect McNabb and exploit defenses who will now be forced to deal with having multiple match-up problem if Westbrook, Moats, and Anderson are all on the field at the same time.

He also stated that the Eagles interest in Arrington is very real. They would rather sign him to a big deal then let him go and sign with the Giants who they consider to be the better team at this point. He called Arrington "The Division Maker" based on the fact that if he goes the NY, he makes them stronger, if he goes to Philly, he makes them stronger as well and with the return of McNabb and other guys from injury, a player like Arrington will make the difference between the two bitter rivals. Rght now the teams are even with NY having the advantage, but if the Eagles can sign Lavar, then they again become the class of the division, at least on paper.

He also stated that the Eagles interest in Arrington is very real. They would rather sign him to a big deal then let him go and sign with the Giants who they consider to be the better team at this point. He called Arrington "The Division Maker" based on the fact that if he goes the NY, he makes them stronger, if he goes to Philly, he makes them stronger as well and with the return of McNabb and other guys from injury, a player like Arrington will make the difference between the two bitter rivals. Rght now the teams are even with NY having the advantage, but if the Eagles can sign Lavar, then they again become the class of the division, at least on paper.

God please tell me this isn't true. :doh: What is the obsession with this guy! Maybe I'm wrong about this but I do not want him on the Eagles. The only way I'll ever be happy with this move is if he somehow became the most dominating linebacker in the league. Which I highly, highly doubt.

Here's his article from today regarding what he discussed last night on air.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/times/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1141809462326910.xml&coll=5

Bentley, Garcia on Eagles' radar

Anderson is also a possibility

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

By MARK ECKEL

Staff Writer

PHILADELPHIA -- If, and when, free agency in the NFL finally begins -- it's slated for 12:01 a.m. tomorrow -- the Eagles are ready to strike quickly.

Sources have confirmed reports that the team will go hard after free agent center LeCharles Bentley of New Orleans and quarterback Jeff Garcia of Detroit.

According to one source both could be with the team as soon as tomorrow and probably no later than Friday.

There was word out of Denver yesterday that the Eagles could also be interested in running back Mike Anderson, who was cut by the Broncos last week, as the team pared its payroll to get under the salary cap.

Bentley, arguably the most attractive totally free/free agent on the market, will provide a boost for an Eagles offensive line that struggled at times last year.

Garcia would be a veteran backup to starter Donovan McNabb and the team hopes an upgrade from the duo of Mike McMahon and Koy Detmer.

Anderson, who rushed for 126 yards and a touchdown last year against the Eagles, would give the Eagles a big back to compliment starter Brian Westbrook.

Here are what some scouts are saying about all three potential future Eagles.

"He's only been playing center for two years, but he might be the best in the game already," one NFC man said of Bentley. "He's not a bad guard, either, but he's really a center and that's where you should play him."

"I love him," another personnel man said. "He's one nasty (expletive). But he's not a dumb (expletive). He's smart, he's just real physical. You got to love that about him. He's the kind of lineman who will make your other linemen better."

Bentley, 6-2, 313, was a second-round pick of the Saints in the 2002 draft. The Eagles' director of college scouting at the time, Marc Ross, highly recommended the center from Ohio State to head coach Andy Reid.

Instead, the Eagles selected cornerback Lito Sheppard with the 26th pick in the draft. Now they may have the chance to get both.

-- -- --

Garcia turned 36 this month and is coming off a poor, injury-plagued season with the Lions.

He completed 59 percent of his passes (102-for-173) for the Lions, but for just 937 yards, an average of 5.42 yards per completion. He also threw twice as many interceptions (6) as touchdown passes (3). His quarterback rating was a career-low 65.1.

"He's not the guy he was," one scout said. "I think he might be done. He didn't show me anything last year in Detroit. They were counting on him there. He got hurt and then he came back and didn't do much."

Another scout had a different opinion on the former 49er, who worked with current Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg when both were in San Francisco.

"You're not getting the guy who went to the Pro Bowl a few years ago, but he can be a decent backup for you," he said. "He knows that offense as well as anyone. Really, he has to be better than the guys they had there last year."

-- -- --

Anderson, 6-0, 230, could have been an Eagle in the past, twice.

They passed on him in the 2000 draft and instead selected running back Thomas Hamner of Minnesota.

Denver also offered him to the Eagles for a mid-round pick a couple of years later, but the Eagles passed.

Last year, he rushed for 1,014 yards and 12 touchdowns, his best season since his rookie year when he rushed for 1,487 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Anderson, 32, missed all of the 2004 season with a groin injury but came back nicely last year to help the Broncos win the AFC West title.

"You have to worry about running backs from Denver," one scout said. "They all look good when they're there. But I think he still has some gas in the tank. He's a good No. 2, if you have another guy. (The Eagles) do in Westbrook, so that would work."

-- -- --

Contact Mark Eckel at meckel@njtimes.com.

God please tell me this isn't true. :doh: What is the obsession with this guy! Maybe I'm wrong about this but I do not want him on the Eagles. The only way I'll ever be happy with this move is if he somehow because the most dominating linebacker in the league. Which I highly, highly doubt.

Ever since he has played for the Skins, he has been a major thorn in our side. The guy has proven, especially under the right coach (Matty S for instance) to be disruptive and relentless. He has chased McNabb from sideline to sideline and laid some serious hits on our players....in essence, he until Sean Taylor was the most feared Redskin on the team. Now the Eagles have a chance to sign a player who tormented them for several season. A chance to cause that type of "fear" that he caused us and you're against it? This guy damn near broke TO in half 2 years ago, TO, you know, the same guy who some called "UNDESTRUCTABLE"?

Lavar is a beast and any chance to sign a guy like this should be done. Him and Trotter would give the Eagles the best set of LB's they have had since the days of Byron Evans and Seth Joyner. Physical, fast, reckless, intimidating and fearless! We need BUDDY RYAN type guys, not the pu$$ies they've been sending out lately.

With the NFC East returning to the forefront, I'd rather go to war with Rhyno bullets, not be-be pellets!

Lavar is a beast and any chance to sign a guy like this should be done. Him and Trotter would give the Eagles the best set of LB's they have had since the days of Byron Evans and Seth Joyner. Physical, fast, reckless, intimidating and fearless! We need BUDDY RYAN type guys, not the pu$$ies they've been sending out lately.

Whats wrong with Mark Simoneau? :laugh:

Archived