Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's time for some changes in the NFL.

desertfox59

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I agree with all the zebras being full time like they are in baseball. They also need to spend the off season training just like the players. Also, a review of procedures and available technology as it pertains to instant replay is needed. I wonder if extra refs for the playoffs would also be good. More eyes can't hurt.

It's real simple. two changes need to be made in the NFL.

1) Full time refs.

2) change the overtime so it's more like college. First two overtimes are like college. if it goes to a third overtime...then it's sudden death.

Thoughts?

I pretty much agree with you. I'm one of the few people that likes the college overtime. I feel that if two teams play their hearts out for 60 minutes and it ends in a tie, a coin toss should not be a major contributor to the outcome of the game.

Option A) Have a points system included with the standings and keep the OT the same, but at least award 1 point to the team that does not come out on top, like in hockey. The problem with this is that there aren't that many games that go into OT like in hockey, also there aren't nearly as many games in the season.

Option B) Have OT like college so that both teams have an even chance to win the game.

Need to simplify the rules. Get rid of the "tuck rule" and the rule regarding "control of the football after a reception" to begin with. The refs should be encouraged to dismiss calls that do not impact a play.

As for instant replay - here's a thought - instead of challenges - let each head coach overturn 2 calls (one per half) per game. That would require a great deal of strategy and would get rid of the delay from booth reviews.

I like overtime but would like to see each team get a chance to score. I'd also like to see the kickers have less of an impact - maybe ban field goals or only allow attempts from beyond 40 yards.

These things would never happen but are fun to contemplate.

How about just putting the NFL back to the way it used to be. The league makes up new rules every year, like the "illegal contact" penalty, and stupid **** like that. Yeah, I agree with full-time refs, but if they keep changing the rules every year, then that is just more for the refs to try and cram in their brain, which IMO, why there are so many missed calls, and why calls are not called consistently.

How about just reduce some the commercial airtime during games? That to me is more annoying than anything else.

Agreed - there's no need to go to commercial after a score only to come back and show the kickoff and then go back to commercials again. As much as I hate to wait to watch a game on Sundays I usually Tivo the game and delay by about an hour so I don't have to suffer through the commercial breaks. On the flip side - the high number of commercials is what ultimately funds the salary cap system - so perhaps it's not all that bad.

I just don't see full time refs as making a difference. Several weeks ago Dr Z had a short thing about the refs work now as is now and it was much more intensive than I thought. At the end he makes the the point that doing anymore could very well just result in brain freeze and I buy it. I know I hit a wall where I am overloaded. It is possible that professional refs would be no better and maybe worse than what we have now.

A simplification of the rules is what seems to make the most sense. Just stop messing around with it.

Well, the refs in the English Premier League (soccer) also went full time a few years ago after similar complaints by fans and the media.

To be honest, it has not made one bit of difference as there are still as many lousy calls and dodgy decisions. They're currently debating the need for video replay technology to be introduced (a no-brainer imo).

i think the refs now rely too much on replay. they dont make the right calls cause they think replay has their backs especially in the last two minutes or whatever. it could be worse, it could be as bad as basketball.

as for overtime, i think both teams do get a chance to score, its called defense. all though its pretty demoralizing to overcome losing a coin toss and show up to play defense.

but i find the college ot much more exciting for some reason

I am assuming that the proposal to impliment the college OT system is a joke and I enjoyed it.

I agree the OT needs a little tweaking but not much. I think if the winner of the toss who elects to receive does so on the 20 yard line. Either that or move in the kick-off spot in to increase the chance of a touchback. So many OTs seem tilted in favor of the receiving team because they take the return to the 35 or 40 yard line and are not that far away from a field goal attempt.

Placing the ball on the 20 eliminates the need for both teams to touch the ball. If a team drives for a field goal then they will have earned it. In fact, teams with top defenses (like ours) may elect to kick in OT. :2cents:

It's real simple. two changes need to be made in the NFL.

1) Full time refs.

2) change the overtime so it's more like college. First two overtimes are like college. if it goes to a third overtime...then it's sudden death.

Thoughts?

1) Making the officials full-time employees is a lower priority than paring down the rule book. Have you noticed how often officials have to explain their calls? The rules are too complex.

2) Sorry, but I don't want to see high school overtime implemented in the NFL. Just like hockey purists hate shootouts, I hate this "start at the 25" nonsense.

I like the OT's as it is now set up. But FULL TIME REFS are really needed. It is totally ridiculous that the NFL is the only major sports organization that does not have full time refs. AND IT SHOWS!!! C'mon guys, you have the top pros in sports showing up every week, and games being screwed up by rank amateur refs. Make them PROFESSIONAL!!!!!

Archived