Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College B.B. trend.

The Fox

I'm a little surprised that this thread has stayed civil for this long...pleasantly surprised.

My two cents:

I believe that from the early years, black kids are given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to basketball. I experienced this growing up (played basketball from the time I was 5 through high school).

However, I believe that once you demonstrate your skills, any coach gives you a fair shake regardless of color. That's really all any kid can ask when a field of a couple hundred kids is cut down to 15 in high school. Once on the team, it's up to you earn your playing time (which could lead to college exposure).

I busted my ass from elementary school on to make the select team in our area. Then, I was picked to play in high school. I maxed out what I had and got as far as I could (I opted not to play at very small schools in college but rather move on to college without basketball). That same opportunity is given to every white, black, asian, etc. kid out there.

So, my long-winded point is this...even if some coaches assume a black player will outplay players of other races, if he's proven wrong, he's definitely going to give the better player a shot...afterall, he wants to win.

I dunno this blacks are better athletes is tied more to economics than genetics.

Interesting point. Alaborate, please! :)

And as a white person, I've always felt like blacks tend to be better athletes than their white counterparts. I'm not really sure why. Could have something to do with genetics. But the idea that black athletes are "born with it" and white athletes "work for it," is just stupid. And that, I think, is a racist notion.

But on the other hand, the numbers don't lie. Football and basketball are dominated by black athletes, and like I said before, the best person gets the job. So why the discrepancy in numbers? What makes the black athlete better than the white athlete (on average)?

Interesting point. Alaborate, please! :)

And as a white person, I've always felt like blacks tend to be better athletes than their white counterparts. I'm not really sure why. Could have something to do with genetics. But the idea that black athletes are "born with it" and white athletes "work for it," is just stupid. And that, I think, is a racist notion.

But on the other hand, the numbers don't lie. Football and basketball are dominated by black athletes, and like I said before, the best person gets the job. So why the discrepancy in numbers? What makes the black athlete better than the white athlete (on average)?

I'm studying for a test so I can't go into too much detail. But, if you look at the dominant athletes at the turn of the 19th century... All Irish/German dudes. I think also there might be more cultural pressure towards an athletic path seeking a greater economic status.

Archived