Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Restructuring Contracts?

fdarugar

Not sure, but I have another question. Can a player re-do their contract for a lessor amount of money? I had read somewhere that the NFLPA has a problem with them doing that. Anybody know for sure? I believe Bettis did it.

Yea I believe a player can completely redo his contract, I think Santana did this when he came over from the Jets.

When can teams start talking to players about their contracts?

Long Answer:

I think all the teams are waiting for the CBA to be agreed upon. Until then they really don't know what kind of money they are working with so it makes little sense to start before the details of the CBA are announced. Mainly the parts of the CBA that deal with Cap room and signing bonuses and how they are spread out over time. Both those subjects are major points of conflict this year from what I have seen.

Short Answer: Anytime they want. :cheers:

Yea I believe a player can completely redo his contract, I think Santana did this when he came over from the Jets.

Don't you think Gibbs could do the following?

1. Ask all his players to play for a base of $1 million per season?

2. Use the remaining ($95 million cap - $53 million...)$42 million on free agents

To me it seems like the salary cap is only an issue because of the overly inflated salaries of players. I mean come on, they can afford to make $1 million a year I'm sure.

Don't you think Gibbs could do the following?

1. Ask all his players to play for a base of $1 million per season?

2. Use the remaining ($95 million cap - $53 million...)$42 million on free agents

To me it seems like the salary cap is only an issue because of the overly inflated salaries of players. I mean come on, they can afford to make $1 million a year I'm sure.

Dude, that would be a dream...

Only the baseball union prevents players from taking pay cuts (remember the A-Rod non-trade to the Red Sox?). Players traditionally NEVER take pay cuts in the NBA but I have not heard that they are prohibited from doing so. The NBA cap works so differently though so it is irrelevant. There are very few protections for the players' contracts in the NFL compared to other leagues, and I think most protections the players do have can be waived by the player if he wants to.

Archived