Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle Times: Seattle, where right is superseded and is left in fear

Zguy28

Seattle Times:Letters to the editor

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2002752221_satlets21.html

Seattle, where right is superseded and is left in fear

Editor, The Times:

I moved out of Seattle for many reasons, one being that I was disgusted at how the gay population received enormous preferential treatment [see "Boycott sought over bill backing gay rights," Times, Local News, Jan. 17].

I will give you an example. I worked for the Parks Department for many years. I was told that the City Council has given orders to not arrest or charge any of these individuals doing lewd acts, etc., because it would seem like the city were targeting a special group of people.

On the other hand, if a straight person or couple was engaged in activities of such nature, they would be fined, arrested, charged.

It seems that everyone is afraid of Seattle's gay population and power. It all has to do with votes. Gays are voters, too, and account for a large percentage of ballots.

Seattle is not a fair place to live unless you are a minority, and if you're gay, then you are top choice in jobs, politics, preferential treatment of all kinds. Why? Simple: The government and employers are all afraid of lawsuits!

I'm just glad I'm here in sunny Hawaii and Seattle is still gloomy, rainy and living in the Dark Ages, shielding themselves from fear of being truthful and open as to how they feel about homosexuality.

Cheers to the Rev. Ken Hutcherson on his efforts!

— Frank Battaglia, Mountainview, Hawaii

What is happening in Seattle? Wow talk about discrimination!

I would take a single letter to the editor with a grain of salt. Sounds to me like some guy who got passed over for a promotion and convinced himself it was because the other guy was gay. It's easy to claim that "I was told that the City Council has given orders to not arrest or charge any of these individuals doing lewd acts, etc., because it would seem like the city were targeting a special group of people. On the other hand, if a straight person or couple was engaged in activities of such nature, they would be fined, arrested, charged." He provides not a shred of evidence to support this claim.

I live in San Francisco, a place which is even more liberal (and much more gay) than Seattle, and I have never heard of any selective enforcement like this at all.

Seattle is still gloomy, rainy and living in the Dark Ages, shielding themselves from fear of being truthful and open as to how they feel about homosexuality.

What does that even mean? I'd be willing to bet the author of that letter is living more in the "dark ages" than the people of Seattle.

Archived