Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The real reason we failed to show:

D'Pablo

Injuries suck. That's one thing I hate about the NFL. You can have all the pieces in place for a good team, and the next week 1 or 2 more guys are out for 6 weeks or the entire season.

Does anybody doubt that the Redskins that took the field on Dec. 18 and crushed the Cowboys could have gone all the way? Unfortunately that wasn't the same team we saw on Jan. 14. You can say the Redskins had good luck at the end of the season with turnovers and such, but we certainly didn't have good luck with injuries. Thomas going down in garbage time in a game that the o-line was finally fulfilling our hopes. Not fair. It's great that the Redskins won the last 5 to get into the playoffs, but what it cost to get there prevented them from taking the next step.

Let's not let the last few games distract us from the fact that the offense made vast improvements this year and was overall a good offense. Sometimes anemic and sometimes "where have you been all my life" explosive. I don't think the Giants should throw away their offense, one of the best this year, even though they ended the year with an embarassment. And the Bears aren't going to rebuild their defense after Steve Smith ran circles around them. Let's not overreact.

Everybody seems to be down on our offense' date=' but our lack of production can be pinpointed to one player... Randy Thomas. The offense disappeared without our best lineman. It was similar to how Jansen's injury affected us last season. Did no one else notice how Portis could never run to his right? Don't tell me that more people were starting to stack that side because they were doing that all season long. Ray Brown really started to wear down in the Philly game and in the Tampa game he became a liability in the run game. Next season is going to require a lot more depth on the OL, especially with Brown gone. So before we go blaming Brunell, Gibbs, and whoever else for our loss in Seattle, remember that we were at a huge disadvantage.[/quote'] THANK YOU

That is it in a nut shell. :applause: :applause: :cheers::cheers:

Everybody seems to be down on our offense' date=' but our lack of production can be pinpointed to one player... Randy Thomas. The offense disappeared without our best lineman. It was similar to how Jansen's injury affected us last season. Did no one else notice how Portis could never run to his right? Don't tell me that more people were starting to stack that side because they were doing that all season long. Ray Brown really started to wear down in the Philly game and in the Tampa game he became a liability in the run game. Next season is going to require a lot more depth on the OL, especially with Brown gone. So before we go blaming Brunell, Gibbs, and whoever else for our loss in Seattle, remember that we were at a huge disadvantage.[/quote']

Further, we could no longer run this offense's bread and butter running play, a power toss sweep.

More depth at OL will be needed. The team has to have some guys who can

come in and play on the same level as the first string. We can't just hope that

guys like Jansen and Thomas don't get hurt. Overall this years OL was alot better than last years, hope that it's even better for next season. OL depth is crucial for any team. especially in the NFC East. Plus i hope the Redskins bye is on week 6 next season instead on week 3.

What really sucked is the offensive line was really coming together in that game he was injured in. To be honest, the offensive line struggled early this season with Thomas, so I disagree that was the main reason. Fatigue, travel, and pressure to win so many games just to get into the playoffs wore these guys down.

Thomas was a great asset to the running game, especially the way he was able to pull for Portis. That, in turn, opened up our passing game. It wasn't that Thomas was particularly great in pass-protection. In fact, our O-line's pass protection had been inconsistant for most of the year. But our ability to run the ball and use the play-action pass helped lessen this problem.

I agree that MB has incorrectly taken a lion's share of the blame in the post-season. He had been hurried, flushed out, and sacked often, especially in those two games. And as the recent Colts-Steelers game so poignantly demonstrated, any QB will perform poorly if he doesn't have enough time to throw.

I'm sorry guys but I gotta say that our precipitous drop in offensive production directly coincided with Brunell's MCL injury. Don't get me wrong losing Randy was a big deal but last years Numbers with Brunell under center with a bad hamstring look eerily similar to this years numbers after he injured his MCL. Apparently MB's legs are very important to his mechanica as well as his mobility and when his legs arent 100% he's only about a 1/4 of the quaterback he's capable of being. It resonates through the rest of the offense too. It causes him difficulty with short pass accuracy and long pass zip. Opposing defenses realize this and because they don't respect the passing game as much when he's gimpy they stack the box making it that much harder for portis to get yards. I have been really impressed with Brunell this year. I admit that after last year I had little faith in him but he proved me wrong. The fact remains though the MB does not play through injuries well and I can't help but wonder whether things might have been different with a healthy body in there. I guess we'll never know.

I'm sorry guys but I gotta say that our precipitous drop in offensive production directly coincided with Brunell's MCL injury. Don't get me wrong losing Randy was a big deal but last years Numbers with Brunell under center with a bad hamstring look eerily similar to this years numbers after he injured his MCL. Apparently MB's legs are very important to his mechanica as well as his mobility and when his legs arent 100% he's only about a 1/4 of the quaterback he's capable of being. It resonates through the rest of the offense too. It causes him difficulty with short pass accuracy and long pass zip. Opposing defenses realize this and because they don't respect the passing game as much when he's gimpy they stack the box making it that much harder for portis to get yards. I have been really impressed with Brunell this year. I admit that after last year I had little faith in him but he proved me wrong. The fact remains though the MB does not play through injuries well and I can't help but wonder whether things might have been different with a healthy body in there. I guess we'll never know.

Sure we'll know - just watch what the Panthers are doing! I'm half kidding but I agree about Brunell. All you have to do is look at his first game against Seattle and you see a QB who bears little resemblance to the one who played Saturday. Crisp, confident passing to the middle of the field. Making 3rd down conversions like he invented the concept. To be sure there were other factors affecting the offense but it seems obvious to most of us that that QB play was the biggest factor. Even when he had time to throw he was dancing around uncomfortably. I wish he would at least have taken some chances instead of playing like he's sitting on a 20 point lead.

Archived