Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Overhall the replay rules

bill1886

:gaintsuck #1 Forget about the down by contact **** because that is just a cop out for the refs anyway

:eaglesuck #2 Get rid of the 2 challenges per game.

:dallasuck #3 I honestly only watch a limited number of college games every year but it seems to me that there system of review seems to be a hell of alot better than the NFL. Bottom line. Every play should be under review and there should be qualified refs up in the booth to call down to the ref on the field to tell him if a play needs to be reviewed and then after 1 minute the determination of the replay will be called down to the ref on the field instead of having the ref run over to the replay booth on the field to look at the replay. I think that is more for theatrics anyway. If they put 3 qualified refs up in the booth and went with a majority vote on rule interpretations when there was a review they would get alot more correct and save time too.

:dallasuck #4 Such a costly penalty such as pass interference should be subject to review. Not the others because that would get a bit tedious but a penalty that may essentially hand a team a touchdown if the infraction occurs in or near the endzone should be reviewed.

I think they have the game referee make the decision to save face. That way, he's reversing his own call instead of having someone else say, "You were wrong. I'm right. Change it."

I agree with your point about down by contact. It does seem to be a cop out.

I also think the rules about catches/interceptions and the tuck rule need to be changed or called correctly. Troy Polamalu's overturned interception against the Colts was probably the WORST instant replay call I've ever seen. Worse than Alstott's two-pointer, because it was SO CLEAR! It really pisses me off when they overturn a good call and make a bad call. Like I said, that call against the Steelers today was just hideous.

Thankfully, the NFL is decent at trying to reevaluate and improve itself in each offseason. They've got a lot of work to do this year.

Honestly,as long as there is human judgement in the game there will always be errors,and next year they will change things for the better(unlike last year or the year before..oh wait nm),but mistakes will still happen.Im seeing myself at the age of 80,maybe,still cursing the refs and shaking my walker at the screen.I would hate to see the game automated,i.e gsp tracking monitors on the ball,refs in a booth controlling the refs on the field..but it may happen and be the only way for the games to be entirely "fair".Whatever changes they make,as long as it doesnt hurt the integrity and flow of the game im all right with,and they will make changes this year..and the next.

The reason Polamalu's pick was overturned was because what the NFL needs to do is put guidelines on what exactly a football move is. Right now it's pretty much a judgement call to the officials, which means if one official thinks it is, another might not.

Archived