Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs Adjustments - What Can We Expect?

Jordan086

Joe Gibbs has proven he is very flexible as a coach. Some coaches around the NFL are stubborn and it costs them victories, and sometimes their jobs. One example is Mike Martz's tendency to stay so heavily with the pass despite having both Marshall Faulk and Stephen Jackson.

Gibbs, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. After last season he changed both the run and pass game. He changed the ground attack by pretty much abandoning the counter trey and using the pulling guard a lot more. He designed a playbook more suited for Clinton Portis.

Gibbs also implemented the shotgun this year in the passing game to help give Brunell more time in the pocket. Both adjustments worked very well.

Obviously our offense had some problems, so what adjustments, if any, can we expect to see next year. Maybe a three receiver set occasionally? Maybe some split back sets? I don't know, but I expect Coach Gibbs to come up with something. Thoughts?

:logo:

What Gibbs was missing on offense was an Art Monk type possesion receiver, a Kelvin Bryant type pass receiving RB, and a Charles Mann type pass rushing DE. It is remarkable that he did as well as he did with what he had.

i think we need a good solid #2 possession guy to compliment moss, and o-line depth. on the D side weneed a good young pass rushing DE and maybe another LB (IF lavar leaves which i hiope is not the case).

i think that with a better #@ WR, the offesne will excel. gibbs did take more shots downfield this year, but the only guy who brunell had any shot of getting it to was moss (except for that one pass to thrash against philly). with a better #2, the passing game should improve dramatically.

They're going to trade LaVar and Ramsey for Philip Rivers (and hope he doen't panic while playing so close to College Park) and a second round pick, move Jason C. to the #2 receiver and use the entire draft on linemen. It's true, I read it on the internet!

Gibbs will do well to retain this proven core of players for starters. One area that could stand serious improvement is special teams. We really need solid, consistent play from the place kicking and punting positions. Seems like way too many of the holes we've put ourselves in this year were from choked kicks/punts at clutch times.

Well I can see Gibbs grabing a #2 Reciever in Free agency out of this bunch

1. David Givens

2.Kennan Mcardell

3.Reggie Wayne

4.Ike Hilliard

5.Koren Robinson- not lickley due to character but talented

6.Eric Moulds if released

I can also see Gibbs adding a stronger RB, depending how Nemo is developing. Thw only one on the market i see as a possible fit is Najeh Davenport.

Gibbs will run the offense that suits our personel and this year he did the best he could do. This is the offseason to get the final pieces needed to really make a run at this thing and open up the offense, If Gibbs can get a real number 2 reciever and let Patten work from the slot we could be dangerous on offense. In 91' our base package was a three reciever set and that is what im envisioning next season.

Gibbs needs to re-visit his playcalling. At times he was too pass-happy (Raiders) and at times he was trying to run into the teeth of 8 and 9 men fronts(Eagles/Bucs/Seahawks) while not wanting to pass the ball downfield at all to loosen up the defense.

Gibbs needs to get more production out of the offensive line. Whether that means Bugel needs to make some changes to what he's coaching or bringing in another guard to challenge Dockery, so be it.

Gibbs needs to get another playmaking WR. Of course it doesn't matter if he had Art Monk in his prime opposite Moss if the QB isn't going to throw it to him.

Archived