Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10 Straight Wins?????

Qcard

L O C A L S P O R T S N E W S

Wed, August 28, 2002

Cowboys' domination of Redskins could be over

For the stat heads out there, here's a doozy.

The Dallas Cowboys have defeated NFC East rival Washington on nine straight occasions.

Outstanding, to say the least.

But for die-hard Cowboys fans looking for a 10th-straight win over the 'Skins, think again. It won't be happening.

Take your time reading this because this is not a shot at Dallas. The Cowboys have improved significantly, just not where it counts. But, hey, Dallas plays these guys twice a year. So it makes no sense to gear a whole season toward beating one team.

When the Redskins hired Steve Spurrier in the offseason, football insiders and fans alike were probably laughing, thinking "there's no way Spurrier can bring that offense into the NFL and be successful." The former Florida coach brought in a bunch of his old college players that haven't even scratched the surface of success in the league.

But my how times have changed.

Spurrier's Fun 'N Gun offense looks like a novelty act in the preseason when teams compete with scrubs, has-beens and never-will-be's. But Washington is 4-0, and has averaged 37.5 points, including 1,592 total yards on offense.

Not too shabby for the first-year coach who has managed to gain more enemies than friends in his short NFL tenure. And evidence has shown that Spurrier has no qualms with running up the score on people.

"When I came into the league, it was: Will that college offense work? ... After the preseason, it will be: Will this offense work in the regular season? Then if we're lucky enough to be in the playoffs: Will it work in the playoffs? Then will it work two years in a row? That's okay. I understand. That's part of it," Spurrier told The Washington Post.

The verdict is still out on whether or not Spurrier's attack will work in the regular season. Pittsburgh safety Lee Flowers called it a "college offense" after the two teams met in the preseason.

"Personally, the way I feel their offense is, if you run the fire (blitz) zones, they'll kill the offense all day," Flowers told The Associated Press. "I'm not saying anything that 70,000 people didn't see.

"It is what it is. Don't get upset at me just because I'm saying the facts. The facts are what they are. When the first group was in and guys were going at it, it was three plays and out every time."

But the same can't be said for the Dallas Cowboys against this offense. Against an attack like Spurrier's, a defense needs to have a great dime package. And the Cowboys are lacking there.

Mario Edwards and Bryant Westbrook are the top corners. And those guys are average at best. Pat Dennis, Derek Ross, Dwayne Goodrich and Duane Hawthorne are probably the best four cover guys behind them, with Hawthorne being the only proven commodity.

The Cowboys safeties are good. But Washington has way too many receivers for them to cover. A normal offense's No. 3 and 4 receivers are possession guys. But Spurrier's offense calls for speed burners in those slots. Darren Woodson and Roy Williams can't run with those types of receivers.

It's not a knock against the Cowboys. They just don't have the personnel to handle Spurrier's attack.

"Everybody wants to beat the Cowboys," Spurrier said shortly after arriving in Washington. "It was like when I was at Florida. Georgia had beaten Florida 15 of 20. Florida could have been favored in 15 of those games and still lost. I said, 'We can't have big years until we beat Georgia.' We beat them that first year."

Spurrier hopes the Cowboys can be Washington's "Georgia".

For Dallas' sake, this better not be the case. The former Florida coach was 11-1 against the Bulldogs, and by looking at the match-ups on paper, the Redskins could be claiming their first victory over Dallas in 10 tries.

Staff sportswriter Michael Wright may be reached by calling (940) 720-3470 or (800) 627-1646, Ext. 571. His e-mail address is wrightm@wtr.com

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :D:lol: :lol: :snore:

Originally posted by codeorama

Thanks... that was nice of you.

Very interesting article.

The writer has some valid opinions. Even the most gifted safeties in the NFL will have problems matching up with 3rd or 4th receivers whom posses exceptional speed and thorough knowledge of their offense.

I think it somewhat evens out if Dallas can mount an aggressive pass rush from Glover, Hardy and Ekuban, thus not giving the Redskins WRs time to get down field.

I am looking forward to the Thanksgiving game.

So-so article. Yes, the Cowboys defense does not match up personnel wise due to our emphasis on the passing game, combined with the Cowboys big weakness on defense (their corners). However, Our 3rd and 4th wideouts are not necessarily speed burners. I assume that Gardner and Green will be the starters (even though Thompson is getting some time at the #2 spot), which leaves Thompson, Doering, Lockett, and McCants for the other packages. Lockett is pretty quick, but he's never been a deep burner. Thompson and McCants are not slow, but neither are they burners. Doering... well... he's just slow.

The key for Dallas will be keeping our offense of the field, by running us into the ground. If Gardener is healthy on Thanksgiving day, it won't work. We'll blow them out.

But if we end up with a couple of scrubs filling in on the D-line, we might be in for some serious headaches. :puke::shootinth

Really a pretty lame article. Lots of recycled quotes that have been beaten to death, like the Flowers stuff or the old Spurrier line about Georgia.

But I do think Spurrier understands the importance of beating Dallas, something a certain pock-marked wuss of a former coach never got. The Skins will be ready for Dallas this year. Whether they win or lose, we finally have a coach who gets it.

I can't wait to see Arrington and Trotter grab Carter's legs, make a wish, and pull.

Originally posted by TheChosenOne

So-so article. Yes, the Cowboys defense does not match up personnel wise due to our emphasis on the passing game, combined with the Cowboys big weakness on defense (their corners). However, Our 3rd and 4th wideouts are not necessarily speed burners. I assume that Gardner and Green will be the starters (even though Thompson is getting some time at the #2 spot), which leaves Thompson, Doering, Lockett, and McCants for the other packages. Lockett is pretty quick, but he's never been a deep burner. Thompson and McCants are not slow, but neither are they burners. Doering... well... he's just slow.

Well, you know your receivers better than I do. You also just shot the writers article down. I hope the Redskin's 3rd and 4th WRs are at best average, atleast against the Cowboys.

Originally posted by riggo-toni

The key for Dallas will be keeping our offense of the field, by running us into the ground. If Gardener is healthy on Thanksgiving day, it won't work. We'll blow them out.

But if we end up with a couple of scrubs filling in on the D-line, we might be in for some serious headaches. :puke::shootinth

I disagree!!! Why? Because if I am not mistaken if Darly Gardner is healthy he will play opposites_lallen_i.jpg.

Daryl Gardner on his best day is still a mismatch against arguably the greatest Offensive lineman in NFL history!!!!

Originally posted by riggo-toni

Wouldn't L. Allen be matched up against BDW?

My point was w/ Gardener and BDW taking up blockers, it will free up our 3 ProBowl LBs to stuff the run. Trotter has dominated the Cowboys in recent years, despite the Iggles suspect D-line.

If I am not mistaken BDW plays on the left side of the Skins defensive line opposite the Cowboys RG. Therefore unless the Skins do some stunts or something Gardner will be facing Gurode and Larry Allen. That is close to 700Lbs of blocking and chipping all game long.

Daryl Gardner better have a steel rod implanted in his weak back before Thanksgiving or he may pull a Dana Stubblefield just before kick-off.

Well, you know your receivers better than I do. You also just shot the writers article down. I hope the Redskin's 3rd and 4th WRs are at best average, atleast against the Cowboys.

Yeah, thanks, I know what I wrote. Going to 3 and 4 wideouts still applies additional pressure to the defense, since there is less safety help in coverage. It can serve to isolate the #1 and #2 WRs on a single DB.

Of course, next year, when Cliff Russell is back, we will have a true burner to add to the mix.

Originally posted by Qcard

Very interesting article.

The writer has some valid opinions. Even the most gifted safeties in the NFL will have problems matching up with 3rd or 4th receivers whom posses exceptional speed and thorough knowledge of their offense.

I think it somewhat evens out if Dallas can mount an aggressive pass rush from Glover, Hardy and Ekuban, thus not giving the Redskins WRs time to get down field.

I am looking forward to the Thanksgiving game.

At this point, cowboy and redskin fans don't really know what is going to happen once the season starts..... aren't you glad you don't root for the bengals.....

Archived