Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell backers thread

XNOUGHT

Not a SKins fan, but I have watched about 6-8 of your games this year, and I know Brunell very well from his Jax days as my best friend is a Jags fan.

I have learned watching my Patriots, that the QB coach combo is one of the most important combinations for a team. The coach gets you there, and the QB executes the plan.

As a fan, we can get very emotional watching our players, so lets pull out some cold hard stats when looking at Mark Brunell.

Brunell has had only ONE season with more INTS then TDs, all the way back in 1996. And let's take it a step further, the team the doesn't turn the ball over in the playoffs is the one that usually advances. Tom Brady, has by far, the highest INT margin of any playoff QB ever. For evey 110 attempts, he throws 1 INT. So over a 3-4 game span, he might throw one interception. And unserprisingly, the team is 10-0 in the playoffs because of that.

Brunell, per season has averaged less then 10 INTS per 16 game season. Tom Brady, has NEVER thrown less then 10 INTs in a season, Brunell has thrown less 8 times. He is a guy who doesn't turn the ball over.

Also, Mark is top 50 all time in pass attempts (26), completions (22), passing yards (27), and passing TDs (41).

Now lets look at his time in the playoffs.

He;s won close games, he's won tough games, and he's won really tough games on the road vs. teams like Elway's Broncos. He even beat my patriots back in 98. And we all can't forget what they did to Marino and Jimmy Johnson in their final game, winning 62-7.

Brunell is a more mobile Brad Johnson. No one thought you could win a super Bowl with Brad, but he threw 22 TDs and 6 picks the year they went, just as good as the numbers Brunell put up. THe difference is, Brunell has wheels that Brad Johnson can only dream of.

IMO, Brunell can do it. Kepp playing good D, get Portis the ball a lot, get Moss some action, and there is no excuse for not going far.

Brunell is smart, I mean look at his TD/INT ratio its like COME ON!! how can you not like him when hes really not messing up. We been here and done this before I dont think its the play calling but the players just are excuting to the fullest be it brunell or the recievers. We are winning with brunell why change now. 2cents

Brunell has at least one more "Brunellesque" game in him this postseason...one where he's completing 60% or more of his passes, throwing a few TDs and pulling one or two amazing plays out of nowhere. In the games where he's not showing his old form, I just want smart decisions in an efficiently managed game, and no INTS or fumbles. I don't need flashy stats from the man. 10/19 for 145 yards, 0 TDs and 0 INTs will do if Portis and the line are playing the way they've been playing thru the 5-game winning streak. I don't doubt that, if healthy, Brunell can do just that, if not more.

Watching Chrissy Simms and Sheli Manning this weekend, it's clear that having a smart, experienced QB is important in the playoffs. Even though Mark wasn't at his best yesterday, he didn't give the game away, or make repeated stupid plays like the two newbs did. He wasn't fun to watch yesterday, but at least he only tried to force the one bad pass. I hope he's better next saturday.

We have seen how two inexperienced QB's reacted under playoff pressure- both Simms and Manningshowed their difficulties in handling playoff pressure. Mark is THE man. Neither Hasselback nor Grossman are Tom Brady's either! Go Skins.

Brunell won't lose us a game. I think it's hilarious that people are writing him off after one weak performance. Let them. Win, or lose the Redskins offense will be much better this week. Guaranteed!

Two weak performances, unless you really believe 9 for 25 is an Ok performance (the one vs. Philly.)

And Manning threw a pick across the grain in his own territory. He gets rightly criticized for it.

Brunell gets a free pass on this board and I can only assume it's because some people are so starved for the playoffs that they don't understand the larger picture of winning a SUPER BOWL (and knowing you can't win with 40 yards passing for long.)

He has breakfast regularly with gibbs and has a great relationship with him.

That explains some things.

Brunell gets a free pass on this board and I can only assume it's because some people are so starved for the playoffs that they don't understand the larger picture of winning a SUPER BOWL (and knowing you can't win with 40 yards passing for long.)

Actually, I totally understand the goal of winning the super bowl. This season reminds me a lot of '87, when our young QB with the cannon arm was curiously benched in favor of a veteran QB named Doug Williams. Williams got the job done. He really only had one great game with the Skins, but it happened when it mattered most. Brunell has had a better career than Williams, and I trust his ability to make the necessary plays and avoid the disastrous mistakes that younger QB's tend to make.

I think Brunell played fine against the Bucs, with Portis on the sideline so often, our running game wasn't quite as effective... which is the reason our offense struggled like it did. Regardless, we did enough to win the game.

Brunell knows mistakes kill ... so he'll throw the ball away before he tries to force throws into covered recievers... although he did it once against the Bucs I'm positive that Brunell gives us the best chance to make a run in these playoffs.

Two weak performances, unless you really believe 9 for 25 is an Ok performance (the one vs. Philly.)

And Manning threw a pick across the grain in his own territory. He gets rightly criticized for it.

Your going to whine about Brunell right up until we win the superbowl aren't you?

:doh:

well Ghost, there is no other option. What possible good would it do at this point to play Ramsey? Does the team really need to see their leader benched two games into the playoffs? I just think all this is a moot point really. Do or die, we are going with Brunell. There is no way that Gibbs sits him now...and I really don't know why he would. There is no guarantee with Ramsey that he'll do any better, and he is totally inexperienced in playoff games. Even after yesterday, I'd rather take my chances with the experienced veteran, because as you know, there is more to being a teams QB than pass completions.

Archived