Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good OLD Redskins

ZoEd

Last night I was lying in bed still reeling from our emotional win, thinking about the way our boys played yesterday and a thought came into my head that I just have to share with the board.

I can remember like it was yesterday, sitting in the living room with all the men in the family watching the Skins play football. Those day's were always filled with screaming, clapping, hollering and sometimes almost crying. But what I remember most was the tension. Everyone was on the edge of their seats. Sitting on pins and needles hoping, praying for a win. Then a sigh of relief when the boys pulled out another one.

I remember my Dad hollering "come on boys, put some points on the board". Then after pulling out a close one saying "one of these days these boys are going to give me a heart attack".

You see, the type of football the Redskins are playing is nothing new. This is Joe Gibbs football. This is his shtick. This type of football has won him three Super Bowls. Outside the 83 and 84 seasons the points for and the points against were pretty darn close during Joe's first tenure. Close games are Joe Gibbs football. If the opportunities to score are there then he'll go for it, but if they're not then he won't force what isn't there.

It's hard to sit through 4 quarters of anemic offensive football but we won. When you're up by 17 against a great defense there's no reason to force things. Watching an offense chew up the clock with run after run might not be what we want to see but it's affective. Going down field and scoring 30+ a game is also affective. In games where that's been possible we've done that as well. If our team was one dimensional we'd be in trouble but they're not. We can score points if and when the opportunites are there. If not, then our defense will crush you.

So before bashing Joe and the offense too harshly take into consideration his past history. He will do whatever is necessary to win. If you shut down one part of his game he'll beat you with another. That's what makes him great. Not too many coaches can do what he's done in such a short period of time.

I was literally on my knees pleading for our defense to make a play at the end of that game. I was cursing the offense and cheering the defense. My heart was beating out of my chest, reminded me of my childhood. Even though I was watching the game alone, sad I know, I could almost hear my Dad screaming "come on boys!"

My Dad eventually did pass from a heart attack 13yrs ago at the ripe young age of 49 and I'm not too sure that 11yrs of Joe Gibbs football didn't contribute a little bit but he loved every minute of it. Close games conjure up emotions unlike any other. Redskin football.

So, correct me if my memories have clouded over the years but from what I can remember from Joe's first tenure there was more close games than there was blowouts. Grind it out football, gotta love it.

i have so many memories of my dad and i watching gibbs, clark, monk, green, schroeder, williams, jacoby, etc etc etc give us 4 quarters of old school, but near-death-experience football i could write a book about it. it's eerie sometimes how this season has, quite literally, made me feel like a kid again. except now, my dad lives in oregon so we can't jump up and scream at the tv together. i called him with 10 seconds left in the game last night, he was at a bluegrass festival and hadn't heard the score, so i told him and he yelped and then said "oops, i have about 50 people staring at me... gotta go." ahh redskins. :helmet:

i have so many memories of my dad and i watching gibbs, clark, monk, green, schroeder, williams, jacoby, etc etc etc give us 4 quarters of old school, but near-death-experience football i could write a book about it. it's eerie sometimes how this season has, quite literally, made me feel like a kid again. except now, my dad lives in oregon so we can't jump up and scream at the tv together. i called him with 10 seconds left in the game last night, he was at a bluegrass festival and hadn't heard the score, so i told him and he yelped and then said "oops, i have about 50 people staring at me... gotta go." ahh redskins. :helmet:

My point exactly. Near-death-experience is the perfect way to describe it. I didn't realize how much I missed it until this year. It's good to be home. :applause:

Even if we fall short, I think not, this season has been nothing short of amazing. Just when I thought all was lost, Joe came back and rescued us from a football wasteland.

I disagree to some extent. If Brunell was healthy, Gibbs would be more aggressive on offense. The Skins used to blow people out in '82, '83, '90, and '91. They had the closer games like we're seeing this year when they weren't getting good play from their QBs. If Gibbs doesn't trust his QBs, he goes ultra conservative and tries to win with defense and ball control. Right now it's working. I'm with you on the "heart attack" comments though. These last 2 games have been hard on the old blood pressure.

Wow.....you are so right. The 87' playoff team fits this mold almost exactly. We needed DG's punt return to beat the Bears........and we needed a pass deflection from DG on 4th down to beat the Vikings 17-10 in the championship game.

Wow.....you are so right. The 87' playoff team fits this mold almost exactly. We needed DG's punt return to beat the Bears........and we needed a pass deflection from DG on 4th down to beat the Vikings 17-10 in the championship game.

I skipped school to go to Redskin park and watch them practice before the big game. They let a bunch of fans in to watch warm ups and some routine drills before we we're asked to leave. It was awesome.

I disagree to some extent. If Brunell was healthy, Gibbs would be more aggressive on offense. The Skins used to blow people out in '82, '83, '90, and '91. They had the closer games like we're seeing this year when they weren't getting good play from their QBs. If Gibbs doesn't trust his QBs, he goes ultra conservative and tries to win with defense and ball control. Right now it's working. I'm with you on the "heart attack" comments though. These last 2 games have been hard on the old blood pressure.

That's my point, Gibbs will find a way to win with the cards he's dealt. It's frustrating as hell, especially since we have what most of us preceive as a good QB sitting the bench. Joe however see's it differently and even though it hurts I have to step back and give way to his decisions. He's done it before and I have to have faith he'll do it again.

Look at the teams in the league loaded with talent but can't win football games or make it to the playoffs. Could you imagine Gibbs with KC? Belicheck is the difference for NE and Joe is the difference for us. Finding a way to win is his best attribute.

Joe Gibbs is a few players shy of having one hell of a team. Another WR, pressure DE and another TE to free up Cooley and we're going to kill people. If Gibbs can find a way to keep the players he's got without them becoming cap casualties I think we can fill the rest of the holes in late rounds of the draft or some cheap FA.

Gibbs will get this team where it needs to be.

Archived