Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is The Counter Trey Still In Use?

I.M. Fletch

One reason we don't see it used much anymore is because of the athleticism of today's linebackers. It takes a fraction of a second for a player like Dat Nyguen or Ray Lewis to shoot into the backfield and disrupt that play. The counter trey is still used when Rock or Ladell is in the game because it's more power running when those two are in there. But when Portis is in there the running plays being called are traps, a few pulls and zone blocking as mentioned above.

One reason we don't see it used much anymore is because of the athleticism of today's linebackers. It takes a fraction of a second for a player like Dat Nyguen or Ray Lewis to shoot into the backfield and disrupt that play. The counter trey is still used when Rock or Ladell is in the game because it's more power running when those two are in there. But when Portis is in there the running plays being called are traps, a few pulls and zone blocking as mentioned above.

I don't totally buy into that one simply because of the fact that the athleticism of the Olinemen has increased too. I believe its use or lack thereof at times is based more on situation as well as whose playing LB that day on either side. I've seen the Olinemen get beat once or twice on this play but I've seen them destroy the LB's at times as well. And with Portis running the ball as well. His patience and speed can really make that play work imho.

I don't totally buy into that one simply because of the fact that the athleticism of the Olinemen has increased too. I believe its use or lack thereof at times is based more on situation as well as whose playing LB that day on either side. I've seen the Olinemen get beat once or twice on this play but I've seen them destroy the LB's at times as well. And with Portis running the ball as well. His patience and speed can really make that play work imho.

But no matter what, the linebackers are quicker off the ball the that O linemen. If a safety like Rodney Harrison or Mike Doss was up on the line of scrimmage and they did a run blitz they would at least make contact with the runner in the backfield especially if there are eight men in the box, which is why it's hard to run the counter trey. Back in the day when Riggins was running over defenses when Gibbs and Bugel was calling that play there were 7 men in the box. Defenses are bringing eight and nine in the box and with that many guys a regular run won't work let alone the counter which would be doomed because of the time it takes to develop.

Archived