Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we blitz alot?

supersmartbrunell5

I don't remember if we blitzed a lot last game, but we got no pressure on Simms at all- leading to him throwing for a lot of yards. But, Cornelius Griffin was out of that game which is a big difference for the D-line getting pressure. Is it me though or do the blitzes never work anymore? We have gotten some pretty good sack production from the better play of the d-line recently, namely Daniels. I can't remember the last time a blitz resulted in a sack, though it has caused a few hurried throws but not nearly as many as you'd like when leaving your secondary exposed. I'm leaning towards not blitzing a lot and letting them try to beat us straight up with one good receiver and an inexperienced QB, only because our blitzes don't work nearly as well as last year. What does everyone else think?

Blitz ALL the time and NEVER punt.

I wouldn't even have a kicker on my team. lol!

Seriously, we should be in their backfield 75% of the time disrupting their plays, sacking their QB, and harassing them to the bitter end!

Victory is sweet!

Revenge is sweeter!!

Hail!:point2sky

I don't remember if we blitzed a lot last game, but we got no pressure on Simms at all- leading to him throwing for a lot of yards. But, Cornelius Griffin was out of that game which is a big difference for the D-line getting pressure. Is it me though or do the blitzes never work anymore? We have gotten some pretty good sack production from the better play of the d-line recently, namely Daniels. I can't remember the last time a blitz resulted in a sack, though it has caused a few hurried throws but not nearly as many as you'd like when leaving your secondary exposed. I'm leaning towards not blitzing a lot and letting them try to beat us straight up with one good receiver and an inexperienced QB, only because our blitzes don't work nearly as well as last year. What does everyone else think?

If I'm not mistaken, I recall that we blitzed alot that game...especially in the second half. We weren't able to get any pressure. TB either picked up the blitz or Simms was able to quickly get rid of the ball.

That being said, I think we should blitz like crazy this Saturday. We had several key players out the first time around and our D-Line has been playing terrific lately.

Against us every team takes a page out of our playbook and goes max-protection. The Eagles were killing us when we blitzed. In fact, almost all of our "positive" defensive plays were on plays where we didn't blitz.

Blitz Manning, Palmer, Brady, Hasslebeck,etc. because they can pick apart a zone. Don't blitz Greise, Mike McMahan, etc. and have them go max-protection. It just makes the game too easy for the QB.

In the last game we blitzed a lot. Tampa's blockers picked it up, and Simms burned us deep throwing to single-covered WRs . We gave up a lot of points because of failed blitzes. Blitzing is risky. If it works, you kill the quarterback and create turnovers. If it doesn't, your secondary is exposed & toasted.

Our blitzes have been more effective since Griffin came back. But I think GW will play a more conservative defensive in this game.

No way....We got burnt on the blitz last week against the Eagles and didn't slow them down until we stopped rushing. Our blitzers just havne't been getting to the qb fast enought to prevent the big play. Eli's negated td two weeks agao came on a blitz call. So did several big plays against the Bucs the first go around. We needto create pressure from our front four and bring maybe on extra guy instead of the house.

Against us every team takes a page out of our playbook and goes max-protection. The Eagles were killing us when we blitzed. In fact, almost all of our "positive" defensive plays were on plays where we didn't blitz.

Blitz Manning, Palmer, Brady, Hasslebeck,etc. because they can pick apart a zone. Don't blitz Greise, Mike McMahan, etc. and have them go max-protection. It just makes the game too easy for the QB.

did a search, didnt see it. Anyways, I completely agree with you. Give Young QBs different looks and try to confuse them but blitzing 2 guys from the secondary every time gives them the opportunity to succeed if more experienced lineman, backs and TEs pickup the blitz. I say blitz a QB no matter their experience level if they hold the ball too long / are extremely immobile. I think that is the main part that we shouldn't do: blitzing corners and safetys they are too risky, send a few linebackers.

We have gotten some pretty good sack production from the better play of the d-line recently, namely Daniels.

Yes, but Daniels went up against backups the last two weeks - Andy Hicks & Torrin Tucker who were subbing for probowlers Tra Thomas & Flozell Adams. So I am not holding my breath for that kind of production again.

Good news is Tampa doesn't have that great of tackles.

I think we should, hopfully thats the plan if its the right plan becuase this time we have Sean Taylor in the game instead of a cornerback at safety. Also, i hope John Gruden yells at his team this week and says " We need to take advantage of that rookie Cornerback named Carlos Rogers" cuase we all saw what Joe Vick, Marty Shottenhiemer and Shaun Alexander experianced. Also it would be great for Chris Simms to throw it to Joey Galloway in the middle and Sean Taylor popping out of nowhere to intercept it and take it to the house, then do it again except he takes it 40 yards. Chris Simms would be like " Who the hell is this guy?"lol

If Springs plays, don't blitz. If Springs is out, BLITZ!

Lets play Sean Taylor at cornerback and re-sign Dieon Sanders back to the Redskins !:D

The run blitz could be effective to set up the blitz on passing downs but we'll probably need a spy on Cadillac to prevent the outlet or screen pass. Simms did pretty well last game with hot reads when he needed them but he also played possibly his best game. I don't expect him to duplicate that game but we absolutely have to find a way to make him "uncomfortable".

In the last game we blitzed a lot. Tampa's blockers picked it up, and Simms burned us deep throwing to single-covered WRs . We gave up a lot of points because of failed blitzes. Blitzing is risky. If it works, you kill the quarterback and create turnovers. If it doesn't, your secondary is exposed & toasted.

Our blitzes have been more effective since Griffin came back. But I think GW will play a more conservative defensive in this game.

:logo:

Before that first Tampa game, I would have said, blitz because I hate the prevent D.. After TB picked up the blitz's and we got beat deep continually in the 4th Qtr I really think we would have won with a prevent... I hate to say it but blitzing, especially with a banged secondary is risky.

:logo:

New England Blitzed from the right side of the line and ripped TB a new a$$.

I listened to a GW interview somewhere today on the radio and he said that last time they actually tried to make Simms throw more instead of pressure and we paid for it. He said he has some nice wrinkles in store for Saturday.

Besides a few games, do we really have an effective blitz? I have been bothered by this for so long this season and wanted to start a thread but this seems to suffice.

Have we really done well enough with the blitz to use it as much as we do? I trust our 2ndary but if we do a full blitz against max protection, that could leave someone open down the field for 15-20 yards even against our very good D.

Of course im not GW and he obviously knows more than me, but is there a way we can be more effective on the blitz so we can use less people so we can then use one or 2 more people in the secondary?

There are not many things that frustrate me more than a skins failed blitz.

Besides a few games, do we really have an effective blitz? I have been bothered by this for so long this season and wanted to start a thread but this seems to suffice.

Have we really done well enough with the blitz to use it as much as we do? I trust our 2ndary but if we do a full blitz against max protection, that could leave someone open down the field for 15-20 yards even against our very good D.

Of course im not GW and he obviously knows more than me, but is there a way we can be more effective on the blitz so we can use less people so we can then use one or 2 more people in the secondary?

There are not many things that frustrate me more than a skins failed blitz.

That depends on what you consider a successful blitz. If you think a successful blitz only ends in a QB sack or turnover, then you are right, they haven't been successful much. Personally, I look for a successful blitz being something that just confuses the QB into a bad throw, loss of down, or just a different look to confuse. Even if a QB has to check down and break off the orignal play, a blitz is successful in my eyes. The QB is never comfortable in the pocket and rushing his decisions.

That being said, I think we should blitz all game long as long as Springs can play. If he can't we will need to give help to our corners and then revert to LB blitzes only. Take the Cady away from them and force Simms to beat us. I know what he did last time, but something tells me he won't be nearly as successful this time around. :applause:

:bucsuck: :point2sky

Archived