Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#21 will stop Simms' deep ball

freakofthesouth

We lost a really tough game to Tampa in week 10. I was at the game, and I, more than anyone, want revenge for this experience. As I left the stadium, Bucs fans were chanting 'Alstott!' as they came down the ramps. Beyond the taunting and everything else, they won on a terrible call.

But there was one striking deficiency for us in week 10- Sean Taylor was out of the game. He left a huge void in our secondary, and Simms went downfield all day because of it. Not to mention, our defense was not playing too well in midseason.

Fast forward to the present- we've ran the table after a gloomy record of 5-6, and our defense is playing much better than it was in week 10. And Taylor, fresh off a game-capping fumble return for TD, will be hot and ready to hit. He will also be roaming the secondary, not allowing the deep ball to happen.

Now, lets just hope that Springs and Rogers can go this weekend; we need them both...but Taylor is the x-factor.

im a buc fan so take it how you want.... taylor isnt that great in coverage. so i dont really think he makes that big of difference there.... where i see him making a difference is leveling one of our receivers and making them remember not to back there

fans of other teams give no respect at all.... have you ever watched a bucs football game? when simms is given time he can throw the deep ball as well as anyone in the league. you didnt get pressure on him in the first game, thats why we won.... in our 7 wins with seems hes been sacked like 8 times, in our 4 losses he has been sacked like 24 times or something like that... we have one of the worse o-lines in the league and thats the only thing that holds this team back... for some reason our 0-line chooses when they want to show up so we will see which one comes to play this weekend.

Be careful. Taylor can not cover the whole field

He doesn't have to cover the whole field in this case. Just the fact that you have some huge guy roaming around in the vicinity of the receiver is often enough of a deterrent that the pass is never thrown. Things like Taylor being out there can be the slight edge or disruption that gives Simms the idea that "hey, maybe Galloway is not as wide open as I first thought, so maybe I better not throw it". The result can be one less long bomb completion than they had in the last game. And that would have been the difference between a win and a loss. In other words, Taylor’s mere presence can be an advantage with never testing his coverage skills. Anyone agree?

fans of other teams give no respect at all.... have you ever watched a bucs football game? when simms is given time he can throw the deep ball as well as anyone in the league. you didnt get pressure on him in the first game, thats why we won.... in our 7 wins with seems hes been sacked like 8 times, in our 4 losses he has been sacked like 24 times or something like that... we have one of the worse o-lines in the league and thats the only thing that holds this team back... for some reason our 0-line chooses when they want to show up so we will see which one comes to play this weekend.

Uh, no one is disagreeing with you here. We all saw how Simms can produce when given time. Hopefully, he won't have all day this time around...

im a buc fan so take it how you want.... taylor isnt that great in coverage. so i dont really think he makes that big of difference there.... where i see him making a difference is leveling one of our receivers and making them remember not to back there

hes not great in coverage!!! in Arizona 1st pass thrown at him he picked off after that larry fitzgeralds side was shut down.

Sean Taylor will match up great against Galloway. He shut down Randy Moss the last 2 times he played against him, manhandled TO last year and did a good job against Toomer and Burress. He plays very well over the top of big recievers and winning jump balls. He's going to pay special attention to Galloway and give him a few good shots to the mouth.

The Bucs fan is funny. THe only player BETTER in coverage at the safety position because of his preparation and anticipation based on classroom work is Ed Reed. And even then, I bet if I scan gametape I'll see him get beat a few times.

"Taylor isn't that good at coverage" LOL

Uhh, Griffin didn't play in that game. I wouldn't expect a CASUAL football fan to really watch enough Redskin football to know the difference in our defense when Griff is playing, but WE know. Combined with Taylor playing? 21 pts will do it. If we don't turn over the ball we win. Don't give Simms short fields to work with. I'll take our chances with him driving the field. Last game doesn't apply. Write it down. No turnovers( maybe one at most ) and it's a wrap.

Agreed...and I bet our D gets at least 2. I'd say a Simms int and a Caddy fumble. However, I give a lot of respect to their D. I see this game being 21-17 or somewhere around there...Its going to be a slugfest. We need a couple big plays from Moss, consistancy from Portis, and our D should be able to keep it very, very close.

In that game it was so big that Sean Taylor and Griffin didnt play. Now that they are both playing sean is going to help with simms and that deep ball that they got on us a coupple of times and play soild against the run. Griffin is going to be all over simms when he throws and when they go to run he will play great and this is NO WAY they will score 36 again I give them 24 tops and we will score more than what ever they put up.

Dont forget Cornelius Griffin, hes one of the best run stoppers in the league and can pressure the QB.

But yea, we both know if sean taylor was in that game theres no way they would of put up 36 points on us.

So if Sean Taylor, Carlos Rogers, Shawn Springs, and Cornelius Griffin are playing theres no way your putting 36 46 56 66 or anything like that. Ill walk from my house all the way to my school with a "Im a Dumbass, now hail to the Buccaneers" if your offence gets over 20 points on us.

Lets not neglect to mention that Daniels is far from the player he was in week 10 as well.

I fully respect the Bucs and what they have done, I just see the Skins as being tougher this time out when you look at the entire scenario.

also, Rookie QB's (Big Ben aside) normally do not handle their first playoff experiences well. In that we have a distinct advantage with Brunell.

Question: How many on our roster have played in the playoff's before?

You really don't know Sean Taylor then. Keep an eye on your boy Galloway this weekend. He's going to develop a bad case of alligator arms by the second half.

Bad coverage or not, you don't throw at Sean Taylor.

Archived