Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis: horse-collared

Kounter Trey

Velcro the whole back of the jersey on so when they try to tackle him by the jersey it just breaks away and so does he. ;)

Yes, even better, he can have him wear tear away padding too... one tug and all jersey, shoulder pads coming falling off... reminds me of the movie "naked gun" when leslie neilson pulls off his suit with one simple tug of the colllar to get necked with that chick. Hillarious.... Imagine this

CP on a stretch play, turns the corner, gets past rhonde barber who grabs CP's jersey; barber tugs hard but suddenly falls backwards with a jersey full of 26 and some shoulder pads... CP runs it 80 yards for the score in a t-shirt and a helmet. :D

I've been thinking the same thing. The source of the problem isn't that CP's shoulder pads are too big, it's that his jersey is too big. Plus, except for the first few plays of the game, it's NEVER tucked in. He gets pulled down by his shirt tail quite often. Somebody needs to put a bug in his (or the equipment manager's) ear to get him the smallest jersey he can wear and still maintain full range of motion AND keep it TUCKED IN. Compare to the way Tiki's jersey fits. Nothing to grab!

_E7T0213PG.jpg

HTTR :point2sky

Technicaly its not a foul because its the jersey and not the shoulderpads.

But in reality, it should be a 15 yarder to be pulled down that way no matter WHAT you grab. Grabbing the shoulderpads may break a bone, grabbing the jersey may tear something else, its not as bad, but it still shouldnt be legal.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Stop the madness and let people play football. Don't make the refs make a judgement call on whether a particular tackle was unsafe or not. The horsecollar rule is very specific, and I don't even like that one. Now you want to make it a penalty to tackle someone by grabbing his jersey??????

Yeah but Roy Williams horse collared him in the 2nd Dallas game right in front of a ref and they didn't call it. I thought Williams was the reason for the rule to begin with.

You dont really understand the rule after its been explained 2 times in this thread do you?

I think his speed is what makes defenders have to tackle him from behind like that... In the Skins vs Cowgirls games three weeks ago, roy williams even tackled Santana Moss like that on a screen pass that would have gone for a touchdown. Do you guys remember that one?

In the post that started this thread, I acknowledged that Portis might not technically be getting horse-collared. I never should have used the term. All I meant to suggest is that he seems to get yanked down by the neck of his jersey an awful lot--and he's going to get hurt. I was just hoping that he would figure out a way to make that harder for defenses to do to him.... I like the smaller-jersey idea posted above.

I think blaming his equipment is taking the easy way out.

I believe the NFL needs to take another look at this horse collar rule in the offseason and redefine what a horse collar really is.

It seems like defensive players are getting by on a loop hole right now by not immediately dragging a player down or by not grabbing the collar. Instead guys like Roy Williams wait a second or two before dragging a guy down, or they are grabbing the shoulder or jersey instead of the collar.

In the end it has the same potential danger. If you're wrenching a player backward in the opposite direction in which they are going, it's a serious injury just waiting to happen.

It's not his pads. It is a combo of 2 things:

1. He is very fast and gets the corner on most defenders. Their only option is to grab the back of his uniform or dive at his feet.

2. CP never uses the "stiff arm". He usually has the ball in the wrong hand but even when he doesn't he still trys to outrun the def instead of "stiff arming"(creating seperation).

Technicaly its not a foul because its the jersey and not the shoulderpads.

But in reality, it should be a 15 yarder to be pulled down that way no matter WHAT you grab. Grabbing the shoulderpads may break a bone, grabbing the jersey may tear something else, its not as bad, but it still shouldnt be legal.

It's going to be tough on defenses across the league to start regulating the form of tackling. My worry is that if regulation starts, pretty soon, it will be form tackles around the waist only. Leg tackles can sprain an ankle or knee joint. Shortly thereafter, we'll be playing flag football.

I understand and agree that it's dangerous, or at least more dangerous than the average tackle. But I also think that the league is right where it needs to be in penalizing it. If it's a personal foul, that will give your cornerbacks and safeties one opportunity to run somebody down from behind and save a TD without getting kicked out of the game. Two gets you bounced.

Guest Dave959

If they start enforcing the horse collar rule more strictly.....I'm fairly certain I know the only team enforce it against....

Maybe the refs should just start enforcing the rule. Why do they keep saying that this type of tackle is not a horse collar? The point of the rule was to prevent injuries, but players have been getting hurt plenty from this type of "non-horse collar" tackle. If they're not gonna call this a horse collar, the rule needs to just be taken out. How many players can get there hands in the shoulder pads with good enough grip to tackle someone? I don't even think RW's hands were "in the shoulder pads" of TO when the rule was invented. Right now, the rule is just pointless, Roy Williams and the other defenders will continue to do the "non-horse collar" and players will continue to get hurt.

I agree with you ....... The rule should be taken out.

It's not his pads. It is a combo of 2 things:

1. He is very fast and gets the corner on most defenders. Their only option is to grab the back of his uniform or dive at his feet.

2. CP never uses the "stiff arm". He usually has the ball in the wrong hand but even when he doesn't he still trys to outrun the def instead of "stiff arming"(creating seperation).

He usually only carries the ball in the wrong arm if he's running left. and he should use the streight arm more.... but all in all the guy's frickin amazing.

I think blaming his equipment is taking the easy way out.

I believe the NFL needs to take another look at this horse collar rule in the offseason and redefine what a horse collar really is.

It seems like defensive players are getting by on a loop hole right now by not immediately dragging a player down or by not grabbing the collar. Instead guys like Roy Williams wait a second or two before dragging a guy down, or they are grabbing the shoulder or jersey instead of the collar.

In the end it has the same potential danger. If you're wrenching a player backward in the opposite direction in which they are going, it's a serious injury just waiting to happen.

I agree completely. I read somewhere that the rule isn't being enforced because the difficulty in telling where exactly the defender is grabbing. Apparently it has to be indisputable that the collar was grabbed, and the runner's legs have to come out from underneath him, which is supposed to indicate, without doubt, that the runner was horse-collared.

Still, there have been times when I thought it should have been enforced, and wasn't. The Portis tackle in particular, because of the awkward way he was taken down. Next year I expect that any questionable horse-collar will be enforced, or the rule will be all together scrapped. Just my :2cents: .

Archived