Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumsfeld didn't advocate invasion of Iraq?

Baculus

I always remember that quote from Rumsfeld where he said something along the lines of, "We know where the WMDs are located - they are north, south, east, and west of Tikrit," It was an awfully awkward statement.

Of course, this is the same Rumsefeld who insisted, on a t.v. show, that he never said that Saddam was an imminent threat. The host of the show then rolled some footage of Rummy saying just exactly that. So, basically, who knows if Rumsfeld is being honest or not.

I always remember that quote from Rumsfeld where he said something along the lines of, "We know where the WMDs are located - they are north, south, east, and west of Tikrit," It was an awfully awkward statement.

Of course, this is the same Rumsefeld who insisted, on a t.v. show, that he never said that Saddam was an imminent threat. The host of the show then rolled some footage of Rummy saying just exactly that. So, basically, who knows if Rumsfeld is being honest or not.

That is the feeling you get from every official in this administration, you take every statement with a grain of salt because they have lost all credibility.

Just out of curiosity, since I know some folks are fans of Rumsfeld, how do you feel about this? Either folks don't care either way, or they believe that this is a given with Rumsfeld, or this is a "small fry" type issue compared to the other goings on's. Or has Rumsfeld lost a lot of support?

Guest Gichin13

I simply cannot stand the Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz contingent. Bunch of think tank warrior wanna bes. I like Bush individually a lot better than many he has surrounded himself with.

It is an interesting hypothetical exercise to ask what would have happened over the last 4-5 years if Colin Powell were President. Somehow I think we may have ended up in Iraq still, but the run up, circumstances, international support, planning and follow through would have been quite different.

I think what he's trying to say, and ole' Rummy isn't the most articulate fellow and often talks in symantecs, is that he was TOLD to put a plan together for the Iraqi invasion. He's portraying himself as a good little worker bee.... doing what he's told. He's implying that he left the foreign policy aspects to those in the White House... and he simply put the war plan together. That's what Secretary of the Defense does right.... plan the war... he's not responsible for the policy discussion is he?

Archived