Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs wins sixth championship!

Teller

Unofficially, Tony Stewart (Joe Gibbs Racing) won the NASCAR Nextel Cup title Sunday with a 15th place finish at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Congrats to Joe on an otherwise tough day.

Everyone here knows that Gibbs has won three Super Bowls. Some may not know that this is his third Nextel Cup title as a car owner, and Stewarts second driving for him. J.D. has pretty much been running the racing operation since Joe returned to the Skins, but to win three titles each in two major pro sports is truly impressive.

Congrats again Joe!

That being said, I'm a HUGE Roush Racing fan (owning sheetmetal from all five current Roush cup cars), and was hoping for Carl Edwards to pull off a miracle and win the title. He ended up tied with Greg Biffle for second in the championship standings.

Yes... congrats. It's easy to see why Labonte jumped ship. I think he was simply tired of being the second fiddle to Stewart. I'm amazed how to cars, built in the same shop, can run so differently over an entire year. Labonte was junk off the truck at most tracks, and Stewart wins 5 out of 7 this summer. :doh:

Yes... congrats. It's easy to see why Labonte jumped ship. I think he was simply tired of being the second fiddle to Stewart. I'm amazed how to cars, built in the same shop, can run so differently over an entire year. Labonte was junk off the truck at most tracks, and Stewart wins 5 out of 7 this summer. :doh:

Agreed. But as much as I hate to admit it, I really think Stewart is the best driver out there right now. And there's really no reason for JGR to want any of their teams to fail, so I don't think Bobby was getting bad equipment deliberately. Afterall, Hamlin won the pole a week ago in the team's "also ran" car.

Unfortunately, I don't see things getting much better for Bobby. I can't imagine that Petty is running better equipment than Gibbs right now. Seems like Labonte was in a lose-lose all around. I guess we'll find out next year. Has a replacement been named for the #18 yet?

:wavetowel

Hats off to Tony Stewart, the Home Depot Chevrolet crew, and of course JOE GIBBS RACING.

In typical Joe Gibbs style, he takes an extremely talented player/driver, and molds him into a champion. Excuse me, a multiple champion.

I am/was a huge fan of Bobby Labonte, and it seemed as soon as they decided to drop Fatback, Labonte went down hill. I became a Labonte fan because of Joe Gibbs, and I am definitely a Tony Stewart fan, but Labonte just hasn't been right for a year and a half.

Anyway, Tony Stewart was a DOMINANT Champion this year, and deserves all of the praise. Outstanding Season #20!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

:cheers:

Everyone here knows that Gibbs has won three Super Bowls. Some may not know that this is his third Nextel Cup title as a car owner, and Stewarts second driving for him. J.D. has pretty much been running the racing operation since Joe returned to the Skins, but to win three titles each in two major pro sports is truly impressive.

I thought it was his second, I recall Labonte had won, who was the other driver?

Archived