Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carr or Ramsey

I just read on ProFootballTalk.com that Houston is thinking of jettisoning David Carr, particularly if they end up with the number one pick.

The reason I find this interesting is that I assume that Ramsey is no longer a Redskin after this season. It makes no sense to have him on the team with Brunell and Campbell. (Frankly, it made no sense to have all three in camp...though I thought Brunell was the odd man out there).

Anyway, if Carr is available wouldn't that impact what the Redskins could possibly get for Ramsey. I figured a team desperate for a qb like the Browns might throw a third or fourth round pick at the Redskins for Patrick. But if the pool is Patrick and Carr, wouldn't Carr be the first choice? Particularly if he is a free agent and can be had for nothing?

If Carr is made available then Ramseys stock will take a turn for the worse. Carr led the team to a 7-9 or 9-7 record last year, he just has no offensive line and gets drilled 6-7 times a game.

If given any kind of line and WR threat(Johnson has been injured this year) he can produce for a team, he's just in a bad situation, similar to Rams under Spurrier. If Houston thinks Leinhart is the answer then watch out for Carr part 2.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

I just read on ProFootballTalk.com that Houston is thinking of jettisoning David Carr' date=' particularly if they end up with the number one pick.

The reason I find this interesting is that I assume that Ramsey is no longer a Redskin after this season. It makes no sense to have him on the team with Brunell and Campbell. (Frankly, it made no sense to have all three in camp...though I thought Brunell was the odd man out there).

Anyway, if Carr is available wouldn't that impact what the Redskins could possibly get for Ramsey. I figured a team desperate for a qb like the Browns might throw a third or fourth round pick at the Redskins for Patrick. But if the pool is Patrick and Carr, wouldn't Carr be the first choice? Particularly if he is a free agent and can be had for nothing?[/quote']Yes, it affects the market value. To make matters worse, Joey Harrington may well be on the way out of Detroit, meaning that the lackluster QB class of 2002 may have its top 3 guys on the market next offseason.

Of the three guys, Harrington has the least reason to complain about his situation because the team has given him an many offensive resources as he could ask for, and plenty of starts.

Carr's arguably the most talented of the three guys and has been killed by his team's refusal to buttress his pass protection for four years in a row now. He's therefore going to attract some attention from teams willing to take another look at him.

Ramsey's somewhere in between, but notably has the fewest starts of the three. That uncertainty may ironically help his market value given that IMHO a lot of people will conclude that they've seen enough of Harrington to know that he's no good.

I just read on ProFootballTalk.com that Houston is thinking of jettisoning David Carr' date=' particularly if they end up with the number one pick.

Anyway, if Carr is available wouldn't that impact what the Redskins could possibly get for Ramsey. I figured a team desperate for a qb like the Browns might throw a third or fourth round pick at the Redskins for Patrick. But if the pool is Patrick and Carr, wouldn't Carr be the first choice? Particularly if he is a free agent and can be had for nothing?[/quote']

Why is it that people want to give up Ramsey for a 3rd of 4th pick. come on guys Miami a couple of seasons ago was giving us a lot more and hell it gave a lot more to Philly for a total unknown. I say I would rather have Ramsey stay for the extra year here (he is not costing us that much against the cap) than getting a 3rd rounder or even worse a 4th.

I say we go back to our favorite trading partners and offer Ramsey to the Jets and our 3rd for a chance to sign John Abraham. I believe this is a great deal for both teams. The Jets finally have a very stong arm QB they always wanted and cheaply and we get the DE we need.

There is a possibility Harrington may not have a future in Detroit after this season. Despite his inconsistency, someone is going to take a chance on a former high draft pick who may just need a change of scenery.

I think a team would give up more for Ramsey then Harrington, Joey has had weapons and just can't get it done. I know there have been injuries in Mo-town but even when they're healthy Harrington just doesn't look good, Carr will defenetely be the bell of the ball if made available.

Why is it that people want to give up Ramsey for a 3rd of 4th pick. come on guys Miami a couple of seasons ago was giving us a lot more and hell it gave a lot more to Philly for a total unknown. I say I would rather have Ramsey stay for the extra year here (he is not costing us that much against the cap) than getting a 3rd rounder or even worse a 4th.

I say we go back to our favorite trading partners and offer Ramsey to the Jets and our 3rd for a chance to sign John Abraham. I believe this is a great deal for both teams. The Jets finally have a very stong arm QB they always wanted and cheaply and we get the DE we need.

This may be a hunch, but I am not sure the Jets will trade for Ramsey in the offseason. Steve McNair is due a ridiculously high signing bonus next year, and due to their financial situation in regards to the salary cap, the Titans may not be able to keep him. McNair could retire, or, he could reunite with former offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger, whom he is very fond of, in New York to give him insurance in case Pennington's shoulder is still an issue.

The QB market is going to be interesting this upcoming offseason.

I doubt the Jets are going to give up on Pennington next year. If they bring in another quarterback, it's probably going to be an older guy to hold down the position for a year until they figure out what to do with Pennington. When he was healthy, Pennington looked like a star in the making.

I don't know why they would want two unknown commodities in Ramsey and Pennington fighting for a job.

This may be a hunch, but I am not sure the Jets will trade for Ramsey in the offseason. Steve McNair is due a ridiculously high signing bonus next year, and due to their financial situation in regards to the salary cap, the Titans may not be able to keep him. McNair could retire, or, he could reunite with former offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger, whom he is very fond of, in New York to give him insurance in case Pennington's shoulder is still an issue.

The QB market is going to be interesting this upcoming offseason.

Interesting take on McNair but I think retirement is in the near future for McNair. Also there are some rumblings that this maybe H. Edwards last year in NY, which if they don't promote from within then the OC maybe gone as well.

i agree with this 100%

we should also try and deal away lavar now that teams see a little bit out of him.

I doubt the Jets are going to give up on Pennington next year. If they bring in another quarterback' date=' it's probably going to be an older guy to hold down the position for a year until they figure out what to do with Pennington. When he was healthy, Pennington looked like a star in the making.

I don't know why they would want two unknown commodities in Ramsey and Pennington fighting for a job.[/quote']

They can't afford to give up on Pennington for financial reasons but there is a great concern that the shoulder is completely ruined. I agree I think they wanted Rams for this year to stay competitive but will go with a seasoned vet as a backup next year and give Pennington one more shot.

Everyone here thought we would get a #2 for Gardner too.

i agree with this 100%

we should also try and deal away lavar now that teams see a little bit out of him.

Why would you want to deal Lavar away. He is getting back nicely and his Cap hit would be huge if we deal him away, not to mention other teams may not want to pay his contract. Weather we like it or not Lavar is going to stay here unless we decide to cut him. And honestly that will be a stupid move.

The Browns have their QB of the future already in Charlie Frye, so they wouldn't be interested regardless.

I doubt we get anything for Ramsey.

There are a number of teams who will be looking for a new QB so I think it is safe to say that we get a pick for Ramsey if we decide to let him go.

Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Arizona, NY Jets, Baltimore, Detriot, possibly Minnesota depending on Culpepper's rehab, possibly Buffalo, Tennessee, or anyone else looking for depth.

But to answer the original poster's question, yes Carr has more value at this time.

I doubt the Jets are going to give up on Pennington next year. If they bring in another quarterback' date=' it's probably going to be an older guy to hold down the position for a year until they figure out what to do with Pennington. When he was healthy, Pennington looked like a star in the making.

I don't know why they would want two unknown commodities in Ramsey and Pennington fighting for a job.[/quote']

The Jets are worried that Pennington may not be able to play till later in next season. Also, Pennington's arm does not fit their system and his arm is not getting any stronger with his injury.

I doubt we get anything for Ramsey.

I doubt you know what you are talking about.

The league is full of mediocre/bad quarterbacks, and it is full of teams who are desperately trying to find a fix. Unlike Harrington and Carr, Ramsey hasn't had a fair shot to prove he can't cut it. Brunell playing well increases Ramsey's stock becuase it is now clear that Gibbs made the switch becuase of Brunell strong play, not because of Ramsey playing poorly. A second round pick, particularly one later in the round is not out of the question.

Actually, I think Carr and Ramsey are probably interchangeable - both have strong arms, both are somewhat inaccurate, and most similarly of all, both hold on to the ball way too long.

You can blame everything on Houston's OL, but watching the Texans play it's pretty obvious that Carr contributes just as much to him being sacked as his OL if not more.

Archived