Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Theisman Insider Article

skins5060

Good article the talks about all the NFC East Teams:

This weekend, the NFC East once again proved it's the most competitive division in the NFL. On any given Sunday, the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants, Washington Redskins or the Dallas Cowboys could blow the other team out because they are just that good. Recently, much has been written and said about how reminiscent this division is of the late '80s to mid-'90s version of the division, but I'm not sure I totally agree.

Although the Eagles have recently been dominant within the division and made the Super Bowl last season, this is really the first time so many teams within the division have been competitive since that time. That said, this is still an extremely tough division featuring four teams that are going to be worthy of the playoffs even though they won't all make the postseason. Let's take a look at those four teams and their chances at making the postseason.

New York Giants

The Giants are a heckuva football team, and they proved it with their blowout victory over the Redskins. This team has the ability -- because of its offensive balance -- to put up big points against any defense in the league. Eli Manning didn't have a very good game Sunday, but he didn't need to because RB Tiki Barber lit the Redskins' vaunted defense up.

That's something we're going to see more of from the Giants because they realize the importance of having Barber run the ball successfully. It opens up the passing offense for Manning and takes pressure off the second-year QB. Manning has done a great job of getting the ball to his receivers and performing well under pressure, but he's still a young guy and having a running game is a huge asset for him and his team.

They are going to be very dangerous in the playoffs because of that offensive balance and because this defense is fantastic. The defenders swarm the ball well, and the secondary is playing excellent football. When you factor that in with the way Manning makes the big plays when it counts, this team could be on the verge of a special season.

Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles have to try to find a way to run the football if they want to make the playoffs, let alone go far in them. Right now, this team is overly reliant on the passing game, and it's causing Philly to get down early to opposing teams because defenses know what to expect. It's also hurting the Eagles' defense because it's on the field so much. In some ways, this team is reminiscent of the old St. Louis Rams teams that used to rely too much on the pass and helped make their defense look bad.

This team is on the verge of ending its amazing run of success in which Philadelphia consistently ruled the roost in the NFC East and made the NFC Championship Game. If the Eagles don't find a way to get the running game going, the run will end.

Washington Redskins

The Redskins have to be embarrassed after this loss. Coach Joe Gibbs had never been shut out in a regular-season game before this one, and I'm sure he's steamed at how his team manhandled. This team is a good one that relies on the offensive line's ability to protect QB Mark Brunell. The line wasn't able to do that against the Giants, and Washington suffered mightily because of that inability.

The biggest problem facing the 'Skins is their porous run defense. In every game, they give up a big play on the ground and that must stop for them to be successful in the playoffs, where most teams are going to have strong running games. I'm not sure how this team is going to be able to fix that part of its defense, but I'm sure Gregg Williams, the assistant head coach for defense, will find a way to do so.

Dallas Cowboys

So far this season, the Cowboys have shown they are one of the better teams in the league some weeks and one of the more mediocre teams in other weeks. It's interesting to see that from a Bill Parcells team, especially one he has put his stamp on pretty hard. This team has to start playing more consistently because it's extremely important for Dallas to start winning the games it has in hand. The Cowboys can't afford to cough up a game the way they did against the Seattle Seahawks earlier this season.

The Cowboys have a strong team offensively and defensively and could very well be the best team in the division. They simply must become more consistent or they won't be the team some believed would win this division.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

The biggest difference between this and the old NFC East - There are no bruising smashmouth runners. Barber and Portis are scatbacks. Westbrook is more like a WCO back a la Roger Craig. Maybe Jones, but he hasn't proved he can stay healthy. There's no pounding between the tackles guy in our division.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold

I really look for the Eagles to start running westbrook more in the next two weeks against us and dallas, especially with the way our tackling looked last week. That aside, as much as I hate to admit it, Joey T really knows his stuff in analyzing a current NFL team, much more so than other commentators who seem to do very little flim study...cough jaws cough.

no blanks:

This weekend, the NFC East once again proved it's the most competitive division in the NFL. On any given Sunday, the Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants, Washington Redskins or the Dallas Cowboys could blow the other team out because they are just that good. Recently, much has been written and said about how reminiscent this division is of the late '80s to mid-'90s version of the division, but I'm not sure I totally agree.

Although the Eagles have recently been dominant within the division and made the Super Bowl last season, this is really the first time so many teams within the division have been competitive since that time. That said, this is still an extremely tough division featuring four teams that are going to be worthy of the playoffs even though they won't all make the postseason. Let's take a look at those four teams and their chances at making the postseason.

New York Giants

The Giants are a heckuva football team, and they proved it with their blowout victory over the Redskins. This team has the ability -- because of its offensive balance -- to put up big points against any defense in the league. Eli Manning didn't have a very good game Sunday, but he didn't need to because RB Tiki Barber lit the Redskins' vaunted defense up.

That's something we're going to see more of from the Giants because they realize the importance of having Barber run the ball successfully. It opens up the passing offense for Manning and takes pressure off the second-year QB. Manning has done a great job of getting the ball to his receivers and performing well under pressure, but he's still a young guy and having a running game is a huge asset for him and his team.

They are going to be very dangerous in the playoffs because of that offensive balance and because this defense is fantastic. The defenders swarm the ball well, and the secondary is playing excellent football. When you factor that in with the way Manning makes the big plays when it counts, this team could be on the verge of a special season.

Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles have to try to find a way to run the football if they want to make the playoffs, let alone go far in them. Right now, this team is overly reliant on the passing game, and it's causing Philly to get down early to opposing teams because defenses know what to expect. It's also hurting the Eagles' defense because it's on the field so much. In some ways, this team is reminiscent of the old St. Louis Rams teams that used to rely too much on the pass and helped make their defense look bad.

This team is on the verge of ending its amazing run of success in which Philadelphia consistently ruled the roost in the NFC East and made the NFC Championship Game. If the Eagles don't find a way to get the running game going, the run will end.

Washington Redskins

The Redskins have to be embarrassed after this loss. Coach Joe Gibbs had never been shut out in a regular-season game before this one, and I'm sure he's steamed at how his team manhandled. This team is a good one that relies on the offensive line's ability to protect QB Mark Brunell. The line wasn't able to do that against the Giants, and Washington suffered mightily because of that inability.

The biggest problem facing the 'Skins is their porous run defense. In every game, they give up a big play on the ground and that must stop for them to be successful in the playoffs, where most teams are going to have strong running games. I'm not sure how this team is going to be able to fix that part of its defense, but I'm sure Gregg Williams, the assistant head coach for defense, will find a way to do so.

Dallas Cowboys

So far this season, the Cowboys have shown they are one of the better teams in the league some weeks and one of the more mediocre teams in other weeks. It's interesting to see that from a Bill Parcells team, especially one he has put his stamp on pretty hard. This team has to start playing more consistently because it's extremely important for Dallas to start winning the games it has in hand. The Cowboys can't afford to cough up a game the way they did against the Seattle Seahawks earlier this season.

The Cowboys have a strong team offensively and defensively and could very well be the best team in the division. They simply must become more consistent or they won't be the team some believed would win this division.

Man..one good game and the 31st ranked defense becomes fantastic

I say the niners defense is now fantastic because of the way they stopped the bucs (who have a better record than the skins)

Dallas will finish last in the division for one simple reason, the schedule.

BYE

@ Philadelphia

Detroit

Denver

@ NY Giants

Kansas City

@ Washington

@ Carolina

St. Louis

They are 5-3 right now, I give them 3 maybe 4 more wins

:logo: I could care less what Dallas does. I'm only interested in Dallas in Week 15. Other than that, I don't care what they or any other team does. Just win Redskins!!! The rest will take care of itself!!!!!!!!

Archived