Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider on Spurrier and Mooch

Yomar

This is an opinion piece and essentially echoes everything that was said on this board. A little after the fact, but its an article so...

Spurrier doesn't need to defend aggressive game plan

by Darrell Trimble

Also Below: Giants' Barber out with rib injury | Keyshawn doesn't deserve Warren Sapp's criticiscm | Texans tackle joins Tony Boselli on injury list | Jets open preseason, offense | Peep Show

Will Sam Adams go back to Baltimore?

Training Camp Battles: McMahon or Harrington in Detroit?

When Steve Spurrier coached at the University of Florida, his multitude of collegiate critics chided him for his brashness and penchant for running up the score. And after the 38-7 whipping that the Redskins put on the 49ers, his critics in the NFL are no doubt going to point to those two characteristics when describing the self-titled "ball coach."

Spurrier cemented that reputation on Saturday night when the Redskins, "nursing" a 17-point fourth-quarter lead, called a deep post to the end zone that went for a score.

49ers coach Steve Mariucci wasn't pleased, and made veiled comments that he wasn't happy with Spurrier's agenda and decision to play some of his starters at the start of the second half. He also made note of the fact that the Niners would be looking forward to Sept. 22, when the two teams meet in the regular season.

Spurrier responded by saying, "Well, that's the way we play. We tossed it a little bit more than they did. They had eight, nine guys up on the line of scrimmage on that fourth-and-one. We couldn't run for it. Too tough up front. Had to try to throw for it."

And while it's difficult to believe that he really thought three feet was too long a distance to cover on the ground under those circumstances, he has a very good point.

If the Niners are trying with all their might to stop the Redskins from getting a first down, shouldn't the Redskins try equally hard to get a first down? Is there really such a thing as running up the score?

There is an interesting contradiction in sports. We are told as youngsters that we should play all out for two halves, four quarters, three periods and nine innings. Yet when a team is up by a large margin, it's expected to, for all intents and purposes, stop playing.

I can't say I ever understood that logic. I do understand that you don't want to show up or disrespect you're opponent, and I subscribe to that belief. I just don't think playing the game to your fullest capacity is a show of disrespect.

I always thought that from the moment the game was underway that it was your offense's responsibility to score as much as possible, and your defense's responsibility to stop the other team from doing the same. It's not your fault if your adversary can't stop you.

Especially considering that even in a blowout situation, the opposing team is trying its best to stop the scoring and stop the bleeding. So it stands to reason that you shouldn't let up if your foe hasn't. And if your rival does the opposite and instead lets down its guard to prepare for defeat, that behavior shouldn't be rewarded.

So, in no way does Spurrier have to apologize for anything that went on last weekend in Japan. It's not as though the Redskins called a timeout with a minute left and fired it in the end zone. They simply ran a play the 49ers couldn't stop.

And why should anyone be upset about that?

I believe some Cowboy fans would call this type of belief "stupid". It's really, really dumb to score points in this league. It's so clear. Why can't writers like this and fans of the Redskins see how dumb it is to call a play the defense isn't prepared for when the defense is selling out to stop another play?

Dumb, dumb playcalling by Spurrier.

Archived