Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: A different tune media darlings

bubba9497

A different tune media darlings

By JOHN KEIM

http://www.dcexaminer.com/articles/2005/10/26/sports/redskins/001_all_skinsmain.txt

ASHBURN - They had one quarterback who hadn’t done anything and another who was done. Their No. 1 receiver was too small and the offense too antiquated.

And, mostly, they had no chance. So said the experts.

To which the Redskins say: How do you like us now?

Turns out quite a bit. The national media, including TV analysts, have swung towards the Redskins, who are becoming one of the fashionable teams in the NFL. At 4-2 and with 10 games left, including Sunday at the Giants (4-2) they could build on what they’ve started or stumble.

But, for now, they’re media darlings. Rankings mean nothing in the NFL season, except as a sign of what people think and two, Sports Illustrated’s Peter King, and FOX Sports have them as the seventh best team in the NFL. The Sporting News senior NFL writer Paul Attner wrote, “[Coach Joe] Gibbs has them in playoff contention, and who would have thought that?”

Apparently, before the season, very few people. Gibbs is now the target of we-were-wrong stories when it comes to sticking with Mark Brunell. So said King and FOX analyst Terry Bradshaw. Not that the players cared then, or now.

“I always like to make the critics scratch their heads,” receiver Santana Moss said. “But who am I to say that they’re saying something wrong. They write what they have to write, but the players always have the last chance to make a statement. But it’s not about proving someone wrong.”

The Redskins see themselves as a team of castoffs, players who few teams wanted, especially on defense. It keeps them grounded.

“We’re an underdog-type team,” safety Ryan Clark said, “and we’re trying to revel in that and not get too high now that people are actually rooting for us.”

One TV analyst is sticking by his lofty prediction. Joe Theismann, of course, picked them to reach the Super Bowl.

“[People] thought I was being a homer,” Theismann said. “Sean Salisbury thought I was the biggest idiot in the world for picking them. He said something about how he would walk from Dallas to New York naked if they did it. I’m going to hold him to it.”

Gibbs has been around too long to know what could happen with a couple losses.

“You get talked up one day and talked down the next,” Gibbs said. “It can go in a hurry. This week, if things don’t go well, I know what’s coming.”

“[People] thought I was being a homer,” Theismann said. “Sean Salisbury thought I was the biggest idiot in the world for picking them. He said something about how he would walk from Dallas to New York naked if they did it. I’m going to hold him to it.”

No wonder Sean Salisbury never had anything good to say about the Skins all year long. Thats a longgggggggg naked walk.

Heh, people in the media are saying things like "maybe" they are starting to turn the corner, and "maybe" they are back to the redskins of old. Funny how all the MAYBE's make us "Media Darlings". Most ppl are still picking us to lose and even finish dead last in our division. I don't see how that in any way shape or form makes us a "Media Darling".

:helmet: This team is still in the process of being molded by Gibbs. It's far from a finished product, he has weeded out the malcontents and replaced players who left simply due to the free agent system with players who are turning out to be just as capable. Gibbs is evolving and learning just like this team is evolving and learning to win, we may stumble at times this season but the team will continue to improve. Slowly but surely this team is taking on Gibbs identity and slowly but surely the respect is returning.

Patience my brothers. :helmet:

Archived