Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our D Is As Good If Not Better

bricucci

Let's see, here are the offensive rankings of the teams involved in the statistical comparison:

Tampa Bay #22

NYG #23

Dallas #14

Cleveland #28

Baltimore #31

Chicago #28

Dallas #6

Seattle #1

Denver #14

Kansas City #15

Do you think that might have something to do with it?

It should be noted that every single team we have played has been held well below their average yards per game.

I have no idea of what your argument against me is. I never said that our defense was bad or anything. Clearly I stated that our defense is still good, just regressed from last year.

We have significantly less TOs and give up more rushing yards this year. Thats the bottom line, the talent of our opponents is not the problem because for the most part, we are able to keep them in check.

However, thus far in the season, we are giving up too many big plays which result in the other team getting more yards than they should.

Our defense is good, so don't make arguments against me (not specifically talking bout you, ouvan59). I'm just pointing out the obvious that our D has been giving up too many big plays thus far. It is ok for defenses to let up here and there, but our hiccups have resulted in long TDs and costly mistakes.

We have significantly less TOs and give up more rushing yards this year. Thats the bottom line, the talent of our opponents is not the problem because for the most part, we are able to keep them in check.

The point is that the quality of your opponent matters in those statistics. The defense doesn't live in a vaccumn. The stats doesn't differenciate between a good defensive play and a poor offensive play.

No doubt that we have given up too many big plays where we limited those last year, but as far as turnovers go, that isn't always an indicator of a slip.

Jason

Our seeming inability to effectively blitz is a direct result of the injuries in the secondary. We cannot afford to blitz the same way we did last year because we simply don't have the personel to cover in space.... We need everyone back their fulfilling their assignments to continue to be good.

At least, that's how it seems to me....

Sorry about that. It was late and I was falling asleep. :silly:

In looking at the stats two things jump out at me.

1 - The turnovers are worse then I thought. 7 in 5 games isn't bad.....2 in the same time period is just completely unacceptable. Unless the offense plays perfect every game the odds are good that you will always be on the wrong end of the turnover ratio that plays a major role in winning football games.

2 - We are allowing 100 yards rushing per game average. I don't care if the competition is better, 100 yards per game average is simply not the mark of a top defense. If you want to be one of the best you have to be able to stop good teams and completely dominate the bad ones.

The defense this year looks less consistent then last year, and that is what isn't showing up in the stats that the fans are sensing. We don't know if the defense is going to give us a three and out, allow a homerun play, or simply get pushed around after having looked solid all game. Last year the D was more predictable with teams really only scoring on us because the offense gave them good field position all game. This year big plays are leading to points just as much as the offense is handing them a short field.

We aren't bad but the team needs to IMPROVE upon last year, not stay the same or get worse. I think the high expectations are what lead people to believe nonsense like "this defense sucks". We are a good D the numbers prove it.

The CB injuries are playing a major role in our lower turnover count IMO but also I think that as units last years linebacker and CB groups were more effective. Not saying that one individual player is better then another, but combined as units they looked stronger last year.

Yes, but the 100 yards is very very misleading. 2 big runs in the Denver game amounted to 50% of the yards. The Skins are controlling the line of scrimmage just need to get that edge stretch run contained and they will be fine. Teams are not controlling the ball on them, and remember in my first post LOOK AT THE COMPETITION THIS YEAR VS LAST (THATS THE MOST IMPORTANT STAT).

The D is not as good as last year but its close

this year we have faced better offences but... havnt gotten much preasure out of our Defence

Last year we were more aggressive and had more depth @ CB and we could leave all of our cornerbacks 1 on 1 when we blitzed

Pierce was better in run support then Marshall but marshall is smaller and faster then pierce and is better in pass coverage but Marshall isnt a huge dropoff from pierce tho so if we can start blitzing like we did last year i think well be ok now that springs is back in the lineup with harris on the other side

The D is only going to get better as the yr goes on. We have played the Broncos and Chiefs w/o Springs at corner and we have gave up some big plays b/c of that. Springs makes us alot better than people think. Are worst defensive games were when Springs was out. I didn't see us give up any big runs last yr like we have the past 2 gms this yr w/o Springs. Springs can run alot of backs down and he tackles really good for a corner.

Archived