Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the 12th man a team player?

rdsknsfan4life

I love this team. They play hard. They make me proud to be a Redskins fan. No matter how much success we have this year I will be proud of this team because it will never quit. They deserve the best from the fans. They earn it by laying it all on the line week in and week out.

We as fans have an impact on this team. We the fans are the 12th man. So, I have a question. Is the 12th man a team player? Our attitude, our voices, our efforts impact the team. What sort of message are we sending?

I’m reading a whole bunch of crap on this site that suggests the 12th man is a selfish “I want what I want” player and it’s starting to piss me off. So, I’ve got this to say: Don’t go undermining my team with your selfish, whining, troublemaking rants! Bring something positive to the table or shut up!

I love Lavar. I want to see him play BUT I’m not going to undermine the team by calling the coaching staff a bunch of morons. We need to trust the Joe Gibbs and Gregg Williams have the best interests of the team in mind even if we don’t understand their decisions.

I love Patrick Ramsey. I was upset when he was benched. But Brunell is playing awesome and we should all learn a lesson from Patrick of how to keep our complaints to ourselves and cheer for the team.

This team has tremendous potential. When they figure out how to get into the endzone (and they will figure it out) they are going to start lighting up a lot of teams. So, lets be sure to be positive contributors to the team, cheer our guts out, and when Lavar does make it on to the field, let him feel the love.

Hail to the Redskins!

This team has been bad for more then a decade and the fans keep coming to the games, keep buying the gear, and keep supporting the team. Yet people still ask if the fans are team players? In many other cities a decade of defeat would have left the seats empty and the team looking for answers, our city helps create the most valuable franchise in all of sports.

The logic of some people drives me nuts. Because fans want to win and dare to second guess coaches on a forum people want to call them out as not being supportive?

Amazing.

12th Man is a reference to the fans at the games and the fans that support the team.....although it primarly refers to how the crowd is helping their team during the game (home or away really doesn't matter look how the Steeler 12th man was present in San Diego!!!! Same as how the Redskins 12th Man will be present at the Arizona game this year)....I guess technically any person that's out representing their team (ie jersey/hat/on the internet etc) could technically be part of the 12th man.

As a fan at FedEx (and very proud to come here on home game weeks and start Fire-up threads)....I am very proud of most of the 12th Man currently coming to games.

1. We get loud when we should and quiet when we should (our O is on the field....you could hear crickets chirp the stadium gets so quiet)

2. We DON'T BOO OUR TEAM (if you do boo the team, put on an opposing teams jersey).

3. Lots of enthusiasm, yes the wave is present at FedEx for games.....like it or not give credit to those trying to keep the crowd into the game one way or another.

AS for ES lately.......

seems that there's alot of "I root for this guy, so I like this team right now" attitude with some posters here.

That's fine, but this is a Redskins board not a certain players board.

So when Lavar goes to play for Pittsburgh and Patrick gets his starting opportunity in Houston or Arizona or another team, some of these posters will probably change their alliances.

I like any player that wears the Redskins jersey (yes, that includes the often beat up Ade Jimoh who played well during the Denver game) except Deion when he was here.

The 12th man, I hope that we all go there for one purpose and that is to cheer for our team. What I don't like about the 12th man is that it gives up it's tickets to opposing nearby teams too fast. I better not see too many green jerseys for the Eagles game. :cheers:

It doesnt matter if the 12th man is a team player or a selfish whining crybaby. What matters is that they ARE the 12th man. This alone gives them the right to whine, cry, cheer, boo, and give whatever brilliant or half-assed opinion they may want.

I don't know how to create a freakin' poll so just answer the stinkin' question.

As a 12th man are you:

1. A team player

2. A selfish, whining, crybaby

Just so you KNOW, the 12th man is NEVER a selfish whining crybaby.

The 12th man was started by TEXAS A&M.

The history is:

The 12th Man

The 12th Man tradition was born in 1922 at the Dixie Classic in Dallas, Texas. Today, students stand throughout the entire game in readiness in case they are needed to go into the game.

One of the most well-known traditions at Texas A&M is the 12th Man. The story of this colorful tradition has been told and retold to generations of Aggie students, and is part of the cohesive substance that binds A&M students together forever. The 12th Man is the reason A&M students stand for each entire football game. When Aggie students stand during games, it is this spirit and loyalty they are remembering. They stand in readiness in case they are needed to go into the game like the original 12th Man, E. King Gill.

The Late Dr. Gill of Corpus Christi related this story a few years ago:

"It was in January, 1922, following the 1921 football season. The Aggies were SWC champions and had been invited to play Centre College in what was then called the Dixie Classic in Dallas. I had played on the football team but was on the basketball team at that time and those in charge felt I was more valuable to the basketball team (Gill was an All-SWC basketball player in 1923). I was in Dallas, however, and even rode to the stadium in the same taxi with Coach Dana X. Bible. I was in civilian clothes and was not to be in uniform. Coach Bible asked me to assist in spotting players for the late Jinx Tucker (sports editor of the Waco News-Tribune) in the press box. So, I was up in the press box, helping Jinx Tucker when, near the end of the first half, I was called down to the Texas A&M bench. There had been a number of injuries but it was not until I arrived on the field that I learned that Coach Bible wanted me to put on a football uniform and be ready to play if he needed me. There were no dressing rooms at the stadium in those days. The team had dressed downtown at the hotel and traveled to the stadium in taxi cabs. Anyway, I put on the uniform of one of the injured players. We got under the stands and he put on my clothes and I put on his uniform. I was ready to play but never was sent into the game.”

Blondie

This team has been bad for more then a decade and the fans keep coming to the games, keep buying the gear, and keep supporting the team. Yet people still ask if the fans are team players? In many other cities a decade of defeat would have left the seats empty and the team looking for answers, our city helps create the most valuable franchise in all of sports.

The logic of some people drives me nuts. Because fans want to win and dare to second guess coaches on a forum people want to call them out as not being supportive?

Amazing.

Not to mention we have been selling out every game for decades. These are truely the best fans in football. No matter how hard our hopes are kicked out the door, we always show back up at the same place with the same optomism. It is truely a marvel of sports.

Archived