Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PTI: Redskins at. Denver "Tuck Rule"

d0ublestr0ker0ll

"Tuck Rule"

Kornheiser: The very confusing “tuck rule” came in to play yesterday in the Washington/Denver game. Jake Plummer, who seemed clearly to fumble the ball, and what’s more THOUGHT he fumbled the ball (cuz he ran after it in the end zone and got called for a safety when he was tackled there.) The very confusing tuck rule came in to play when the refs ruled that, Plummer, had instead thrown an incomplete pass, and took the two points off the board in a game that the Redskins ultimately lost by 2 points…

Wilbon, you were there…what is the tuck rule and aren’t you sick to DEATH of it!

Wilbon: I hate the tuck rule. I’ve hated it since I first became aware of it when Brady had it against Oakland. When you act like you’re in a pump motion and you try to bring the ball back in to your body, in to your chest, at that moment if you lose the ball it’s an incomplete pass by ruling.

Kornheiser: Why??

Wilbon: Cuz it’s the rule, Tony!

Kornheiser: Ok but what is the rational behind something where you trying, clearly, not to throw it – how can you be given a throw for that?

Wilbon: It’s ridiculous, I asked Sonny Jurgenson yesterday, Hall of Famer Sonny Jurgenson after that game. I said, Sonny you played in the NFL for 18 years, how did you feel about the tuck rule? Sonny looked at me like I was a Martion and he said “there was no tuck rule! I mean if there was a tuck rule we didn’t know about it and I played that long!”

Kornheiser: But it’s a relatively new rule. Now the NFL unlike other sports, changes its rules every year. Why have they not changed this rule?

Wilbon: Tony, they voted on this rule. Even the Raiders, I think, abstained from voting. I don’t think the Raiders, even who were vitimized a game, they could have gone to the super bowl! They didn’t vote against it. The league should have voted it out!

Kornheiser: You were at that game. Do you think that thing cost the Redskins goin’

4-0.?

Wilbon: No. Givin’ up two touchdown runs of 34 and 55. That cost the Redskins from goin’ 4-0.

the other thing about the tuck rule and I'd have to find out is that the tuck rule was NOT correctly ruled in the Oakland/Pats game. Brady was hit and fumbled while bringing the ball back. At least Plummer's 'fumble' yesterday was an example of him merely letting it slip while pump faking it.

I sometimes realize that the NFL refs don't even interpret the rules correctly. Like forgetting that if a guy takes two steps and has control of the ball it's POSSESSIon even if the guy loses control later.

Archived