Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SFC: Why Eagles fly high

Westbrook36

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/09/25/SPGVLET8L01.DTL

Contract issues involving running back Brian Westbrook and our favorite wide receiver have gotten a lot of attention in Philadelphia this year.

If someone didn't know better, one might think the Eagles, who play the Raiders today, don't take very good care of their players.

Yet, just the opposite is true.

Hardly any team in the NFL takes better care of its players than Philadelphia, and that's one reason the Eagles have played in four straight NFC championship games and have a pretty good shot at No. 5.

The guys who make all the noise get most of the attention, but, just for a change of pace, it seems appropriate to discuss the other people.

So consider this: Counting only legitimate contract extensions, not salary-cap window dressing, this is the fourth year in a row that Philadelphia leads the league in the number of players who are on at least their second contract with the team.

What that means is this: Players are eager to re-sign with the Eagles, and the team makes a strong effort to re-sign its own players. In each of the last four years, at least 13 of Philly's 24 front-liners (22 starters, punter and kicker) have been on at least their second Eagles' contract.

Philadelphia's four-year total is 58 players on at least their second contract with the team. Green Bay is closest at 51. Even three-time Super Bowl champ New England had only 44 players in that category over four years. The 49ers had 38 (including 11 this year), the Raiders 34 (including 5 this year).

Further, four starters in recent years who left Philadelphia as free agents later returned to the Eagles, including middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter and defensive end N.D. Kalu, who are current starters.

That is almost unheard of. As good as the 49ers used to treat players in their dynasty days, once someone left, whether it was Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott or Roger Craig, none of them ever came back, other than for a ceremonial sendoff into retirement.

The Eagles manage to do this because they operate at such a highly professional level, both on the coaching staff and in the front office. They don't let contract talks get personal, and they don't let them deteriorate to the point where a breach becomes so irreparable that a player who leaves can never come back.

"Andy (Reid) has a lot to do with it," said Don Yee, an agent who represents three Eagles players. "He's a great coach and he also is honest, and he also is, at bottom, affable, which is a really good and difficult combination to come by.

"When guys leave and go see what it's like at other places, they realize what they had there. Take the atmosphere that Andy's created in Philadelphia and combine that with the fact they've got fantastic facilities and a passionate fan base that allows them certain local and regional off-field opportunities, it's a really good place to be."

Now, of course, one wide receiver's situation might well have deteriorated beyond repair, but we said the Eagles were really good at what they do, not that they were miracle workers.

When the Eagles say they're going to do something, they're not threatening, but merely stating fact, and then they follow through.

"In my business, that can be frustrating," said Ralph Cindrich, an agent who represents two Philly players. "At times, you want to get them outside the box."

Cindrich points out, however, that with some teams, "Sometimes, you can have this feeling from (management) that they want to exert their control, their authority, their power, over the players and others maybe more than is warranted." And with the Eagles? "You just don't get that feeling there," he said.

It's not that the Eagles' front office is a pushover. Far from it. The Eagles slavishly watch their salary-cap dollars and won't overpay for old players, but they identify the young ones they want to keep and reward them early in their career, thus often retaining players for the long term below full market value.

The contract given quarterback Donovan McNabb in 2002, for example -- $115 million for 12 years -- looked excessive and risky at the time but, in fact, has made him a bargain going forward.

"You understand there are two sides to the coin," Reid said on a conference call with Bay Area media. "There is a business side and there is a football side. . . . We are going to try to treat you as well as we can possibly treat you as a football player. Then the finance thing -- those things happen.

"And that doesn't mean any of (the players who left) were wrong for thinking what they were thinking. But we've got our own little philosophy here that we go by and that we feel strongly about. In this day and age, you have to have a well-thought out plan, and you have to stick to it the best you can. But we understand there are going to be some issues that come up, and you have to work through those."

There is a certain irony in that, soon after Jeffrey Lurie bought the team in 1994, he and club president Joe Banner spent a day with 49ers executives to learn the ins and outs of running an NFL franchise. Now, the 49ers point to the Eagles as a team they would like to emulate.

Banner is the team's chief contract negotiator, the architect of the plan to get players re-signed sooner rather than later. That's why the Eagles have the bulk of their team in place for the foreseeable future, yet are still more than $12 million under the salary cap, the most of any team in the league. And before the year is out, they'll use that cash to lock up more of their good, young players, which is why they figure to remain strong for the foreseeable future.

E-mail Ira Miller at imiller@sfchronicle.com.

Waits for the tr1 spin. :laugh:

The only problem to the point of this article is: TO, Westbrook, Douglas...and probably Kalu, Ritchie and Runyan by the end of the year.

I agree that the Eagles are consistently good because they keep players around. And Reid has stability...something Snyder has finally figured out with Gibbs being here.. but you can't evade the fact that Philly doesn't care to share its fortune with the players (witness a $12 salary cap.)

But dicking around with Westbrook is a bad mistake. I hope he leaves the Eagles...

westbrook will stay. every article in the inside of the eagles i read confirms it. its just a matter of time.

Bull S..t He's done, unless the Eagle pony up the big dollars. Doesn't look like they're willing to 'cave'.

They're so tight, Laurie squeaks when he walks....

BWaaahahahhhahahahahah.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The only problem to the point of this article is: TO, Westbrook, Douglas...and probably Kalu, Ritchie and Runyan by the end of the year.

I agree that the Eagles are consistently good because they keep players around. And Reid has stability...something Snyder has finally figured out with Gibbs being here.. but you can't evade the fact that Philly doesn't care to share its fortune with the players (witness a $12 salary cap.)

But dicking around with Westbrook is a bad mistake. I hope he leaves the Eagles...

gibbs in his second year doesn't equal stability. in fact i would argue that gibbs won't be around much longer. his decision with brunell strongly indicates that he is looking for all he can now, even if it requires using a qb who is not expected to play many more seasons. i guarantee he won't be drafting a franchise qb next season. he knows he won't be putting in the time to develop him. bringing in a free agent isn't likely either for the same reason. so when gibbs is gone after next season will you still be saying his presence equaled stability for the skins? or will it be painfully obvious that you will be starting from square one again?

i suggest saving your stability act for when the redskins actually retain a head coach and starting qb for atleast 5 seasons.

gibbs in his second year doesn't equal stability. in fact i would argue that gibbs won't be around much longer. his decision with brunell strongly indicates that he is looking for all he can now, even if it requires using a qb who is not expected to play many more seasons. i guarantee he won't be drafting a franchise qb next season. he knows he won't be putting in the time to develop him. bringing in a free agent isn't likely either for the same reason so when gibbs is gone after next season will you still be saying his presence equaled stability for the skins? or will it be painfully obvious that you will be starting from square one again?

i suggest saving your stability act for when the redskins actually retain a head coach and starting qb for atleast 5 seasons.

More uninformed spew from an Eagles fan. How many SBs has your head coach won? What's our record again? The Eagles are getting old...injuries are the first indicator of a downslide...I beginning to think the playoffs might not be in your picture.

Gibbs will be here his full five, unless he gets to the SB before that...then, you'll have to deal with Greg Williams for years after that.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

williams did wonders for buffalo.

you as well as everyone else know gibbs is gone after next season. his personel decisions are a foreshadow of this event.

this same situation applies to dallas. parcells isn't going to be around past next season either. with all of the draft picks dallas had they didn't take a potential franchise qb. they bring in a washed up has been that parcells has a history with. parcells won't bring in another qb while he is in dallas and he won't draft a quality one either. like gibbs, he knows he won't be around long enough to develop a new qb in his system

williams did wonders for buffalo.

you as well as everyone else know gibbs is gone after next season. his personel decisions are a foreshadow of this event.

this same situation applies to dallas. parcells isn't going to be around past next season either. with all of the draft picks dallas had they didn't take a potential franchise qb. they bring in a washed up has been that parcells has a history with. parcells won't bring in another qb while he is in dallas and he won't draft a quality one either. like gibbs, he knows he won't be around long enough to develop a new qb in his system

You contradict yourself. Gibbs just drafted Campbell...thinking about the future.

You can hope JG will be gone, but unless he wins the SB, he'll be here through the end of his contract.

You should be worried...this year, the Eagles are struggling.

More uninformed spew from an Eagles fan. How many SBs has your head coach won? What's our record again? The Eagles are getting old...injuries are the first indicator of a downslide...I beginning to think the playoffs might not be in your picture.

Gibbs will be here his full five, unless he gets to the SB before that...then, you'll have to deal with Greg Williams for years after that.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Actually the Eagles are one of the youngest teams in the league tr1, but let's not throw facts into this circular argument.

For starters? Do you have a link?

What difference does it make? You will just ignore it like you ignored my thread with a link showing the Eagles spent the most money on salaries in the NFL over the last five years because it doesn't match up with your played out argument. :laugh:

More uninformed spew from an Eagles fan.

tr1 says Eagles fans spew uninformed stuff. Wow. Just WOW.

But then goes on to say....

The Eagles are getting old...injuries are the first indicator of a downslide...I beginning to think the playoffs might not be in your picture.

The Eagles are one of the youngest teams in the league. That is fact.

That's great... Williams will be like many a great D coordinator prior to him that didn't cut it has a head coach. He's already demonstrated his ability to do that.

tr1 says Eagles fans spew uninformed stuff. Wow. Just WOW.

But then goes on to say....

The Eagles are one of the youngest teams in the league. That is fact.

That's great... Williams will be like many a great D coordinator prior to him that didn't cut it has a head coach. He's already demonstrated his ability to do that.

You know, I looked for the Eagles "being one of the youngest" teams in the NFL, but I couldn't find it....I did find an article like that DATED 3 YEARS AGO, but if you have something more current, I'd like to see it....

What difference does it make? You will just ignore it like you ignored my thread with a link showing the Eagles spent the most money on salaries in the NFL over the last five years because it doesn't match up with your played out argument. :laugh:

Why do you have so many players compaining about money? Your starting running back, your starting #1 wide receiver, etc.?

It's because you continue to have $12 million in cap that your greedy owner doesn't want to part with...what's up with that. All summer I heard, they're about to spend it...so when?

Pay Westbrook...you of all people should be advocating for that....sheesh.

Oh, I'm looking for the Eagles being one of the youngest teams...could you point me to something that says that?

Archived