Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Rules Questions

Fergasun

I've got 3 NFL Rules questions....

1) What is the rule on out of bounds and forward progress? Is a player out of bounds when a part of his body first touches out of bounds? If this is true does it mean he can advance the ball as far as possible while falling out of bounds?

I guess my hypothetical question would be... what would happen if Superman was a ball carrier, and his last step in bounds is from the sideline on the 50 yard line... if he flies out of bounds and ends up advancing the ball to the 35 yard line, yet 10 feet out of bounds. Does he get credited for the yards he gained while his body was in out of bounds airspace?

2) Does the plane of the goal extend beyond the goal line to include out of bounds, or does it stop at the out of bounds air space? We always see players extending the ball back over the pylon in order to get the ball over the plane, yet between the goal line I've seen the ball advanced out of bounds. I want to know if the rules are different for the goal line.

3) How come receivers don't necessarily have to obey the same rules as ball carriers? Let's say you have Inspector Gadget and his 10 foot arms... the QB passes the ball, and Mr. Gadget catches the ball while it is 5 feet to the side of the end zone or 5 feet behind the end zone. He does the toe-two-step and falls out of bounds retaining possession. This player has just scored without having possession of the ball within the planar area of the end zone. The ball stayed over out of bounds airspace the whole time.

To me, it seems like I've witnessed #3 happen many times with Moss or some other receivers. If 3 is correct, that mean a ball carrier can break the plane without bringing the ball back over the pylon. If the plane extends beyond out of bonds, some team could have Bob Beamer at running back and tell him to long jump out of bounds for 8 yards every play.

1) What is the rule on out of bounds and forward progress? Is a player out of bounds when a part of his body first touches out of bounds? If this is true does it mean he can advance the ball as far as possible while falling out of bounds?

I guess my hypothetical question would be... what would happen if Superman was a ball carrier, and his last step in bounds is from the sideline on the 50 yard line... if he flies out of bounds and ends up advancing the ball to the 35 yard line, yet 10 feet out of bounds. Does he get credited for the yards he gained while his body was in out of bounds airspace?

2) Does the plane of the goal extend beyond the goal line to include out of bounds, or does it stop at the out of bounds air space? We always see players extending the ball back over the pylon in order to get the ball over the plane, yet between the goal line I've seen the ball advanced out of bounds. I want to know if the rules are different for the goal line.

3) How come receivers don't necessarily have to obey the same rules as ball carriers? Let's say you have Inspector Gadget and his 10 foot arms... the QB passes the ball, and Mr. Gadget catches the ball while it is 5 feet to the side of the end zone or 5 feet behind the end zone. He does the toe-two-step and falls out of bounds retaining possession. This player has just scored without having possession of the ball within the planar area of the end zone. The ball stayed over out of bounds airspace the whole time.

To me, it seems like I've witnessed #3 happen many times with Moss or some other receivers. If 3 is correct, that mean a ball carrier can break the plane without bringing the ball back over the pylon. If the plane extends beyond out of bonds, some team could have Bob Beamer at running back and tell him to long jump out of bounds for 8 yards every play.

those are good questions...i'll try.

"1) What is the rule on out of bounds and forward progress? Is a player out of bounds when a part of his body first touches out of bounds? If this is true does it mean he can advance the ball as far as possible while falling out of bounds. "

since no one intentionally jumps out of bounds while advancing the ball, we may never really know. i would ASSUME you are out only when you touch the ground. HOWEVER, i don't think you can advance the ball while your body breaks the plane of out of bounds. it would be cool if you could somehow cruise 10yds out of bounds. kudos b/c its a cheap way to get first downs and probably lead to alot of late hit penalties. :cheers:

"2) Does the plane of the goal extend beyond the goal line to include out of bounds, or does it stop at the out of bounds air space? We always see players extending the ball back over the pylon in order to get the ball over the plane, yet between the goal line I've seen the ball advanced out of bounds. I want to know if the rules are different for the goal line. "

no, endzone stops at the out of bounds line.

"3) How come receivers don't necessarily have to obey the same rules as ball carriers? Let's say you have Inspector Gadget and his 10 foot arms... the QB passes the ball, and Mr. Gadget catches the ball while it is 5 feet to the side of the end zone or 5 feet behind the end zone. He does the toe-two-step and falls out of bounds retaining possession. This player has just scored without having possession of the ball within the planar area of the end zone. The ball stayed over out of bounds airspace the whole time."

well he's not officially out until he touches out of bounds. since he has possession IN BOUNDS when he lands, its a touchdown. he's not advancing the ball so its no big deal, posession in the endzone is a TD.

did you son/daughter ask you these questions? b/c kids can really ask some headscratchers.

No... I was just thinking about those situations and how the rules are kind've gray.

The receiver question, his feet are in the end zone but he catches the ball over out of bounds and falls out of bounds. He has possession, but the ball never breaks the plane in his possession. You would think he'd have to bring the ball back into the end zone to break the plane of the goal. I don't think possession and two feet in the end zone are sufficient for a touchdown.... if someone running into the end zone has to break the plane, why not receivers?

I want to get Johnny Grier or Jerry Markbredt on the phone!

My understanding is yes, he can advance the ball while falling out of bounds. Let's say on 1st and 10 from the 20 an RB runs towards the sidelines...at the 25 yd line he leaps forward and extends his arms forward and the ball lands at the 29 yd line (out of bounds). The ball would be spotted at the 29 yd line assuming no other part of his body touched the ground before the ball did. If his foot hit the ground at the 26 yd line before the ball landed on the 29, then the spot goes to the foot.

I believe in this instance you (the ball carrier) and the ball are "one". So the player who is about to fall out of bounds near the goal line must get the ball inside the pylon for a score. As opposed to the player who scores by running into the corner of the end zone who gets his feet in bounds...even though he is holding the ball out of bounds.

Somewhat similar to the previous situation...the ball and you are one. If the WR gets his feet down with possession it doesn't matter where the ball is at the time...as long as he has it while his feet are in bounds.

Good questions.

Archived