Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snippet from Yahoo on Tuesday's practice

GboroGator

Originally posted by GboroGator

Sounds like Sage is locking the cage on himself. :cool:

All these bloated-head Gator fans are enough to make me start rooting for Florida State.

Spurrier's first words of mini-camp: "we're all Redskins now."

Hopefully the ex-Gator players have grasped this better than the Gator fans who act as if we have 2 teams out there.

Now somebody pass me the barf bag.

I think Spurrier being here is going to help the best of the ex-Florida players he has, Shane Matthews and Jacquez Green. Green has started in the NFL and has two 50+ catch seasons to his credit. Matthews was the co-starter for the Bears coming out of training camp last year.

Both I think will be here and make a contribution.

Some of the others are not NFL material and fans will find that out over the course of time.

Reidel Anthony seems vulnerable. He has not shown good hands and had two dreadful seasons in Tampa where he couldn't catch a cold. I thought he would be a candidate to win the PR/KR job, but evidently is not being considered for that either.

Chris Doering is another guy on the bubble. Could he be a #4 receiver here? Well, with the injury to Cliff Russell it gives him a much better shot. The skinny on Doering is he has been hovering around the NFL for 5 years and has yet to be a regular player or contributor.

That is not opinion or jaded perception. If you don't believe me look at his career stats.

Gillespie is another close call. I like his combination of hands and playmaking ability, whether that is enough at his size to seize a roster spot we will have to see.

Wuerffel to me is fitting back into his role as a smart, backup quarterback that can be a coach on the sidelines. It would not surprise me in the least if Wuerffel is himself on a coaching staff in the next couple of years.

So, overall I think we are looking at perhaps 1 or 2 guys that will be recognizable contributors and another that willl be a backup.

Two or three may be cut.

That is the NFL.

Not everyone's dream comes true. :(

Originally posted by bulldog

Reidel Anthony seems vulnerable. He has not shown good hands and had two dreadful seasons in Tampa where he couldn't catch a cold. I thought he would be a candidate to win the PR/KR job, but evidently is not being considered for that either.

Chris Doering is another guy on the bubble. Could he be a #4 receiver here? Well, with the injury to Cliff Russell it gives him a much better shot. The skinny on Doering is he has been hovering around the NFL for 5 years and has yet to be a regular player or contributor.

That is not opinion or jaded perception. If you don't believe me look at his career stats.

Gillespie is another close call. I like his combination of hands and playmaking ability, whether that is enough at his size to seize a roster spot we will have to see.

I think I read recently where Anthony will have a chance to be a kickoff-returner. Quez Green being given a shot as the PR.

I've never been of big fan of SOS's recent use of midget backs like Gillespie. Hopefully the Skins will stick with the big guys. The Gators had much more success when Errict Rhett and Fred Taylor got a lot of snaps.

As for the poster above, I've been a Skins fan longer than I've been a Gator. Sorry, but in my opinion Sage is in the class of Todd Husak, Babe Laufenberg, that 3rd stringer from Dartmouth or Penn wherever he was from, and all the other 3rd of 4th string QB's Skins' fans fall in-love with, but never amount to anything.

If he proves me wrong, so be it I will get behind him. I was always one of the Gators who thought Brock Berlin would be the end-all and be-all of FL QB's. But Grossman proved me wrong, and I'm as big a fan of King Rex as anyone now.

Thank you, Max...excellent job. The Gator fans who keep apologizing for Wuerffel looking bad in practice -- and even worse -- the ones who bash the non-Gator Redskin players, are not real Redskin fans and they don't belong here. I work with a Gator/Redskin fan, and he says these people are giving the rest of the Gator crowd a bad name.

HOWEVER, the Gator fans who have adopted the Skins as their own and will root for EVERY Redskin regardless of where he played in college, are welcome here.

Sage will probably not start from day one. He needs time to learn the new offense, whereas the former Gators already know most of it.

When Sage learns the system, he'll be sharp. His physical tools will put him ahead of Matthews and Wuerffel. This could happen in week 6, or it could happen next year. Who knows. It's just my feeling that once Sage becomes more knowledgable in the offense, Danny and Shane will be relegated to bench warmers.

It doesn't really matter what you think Gboro.

Noone here is arguing your right to have an opinion.

I for one don't think Donovan Arp is going to be the answer to any of our questions on the Defensive Line. But if I read an article stating that Arp is struggling, I don't smile. I certainly don't post it on the forum with a big goofy grin beside it, claiming credit for knowing that he would be no good from the getgo.

On the contrary, I hope to be proven wrong. See the difference?

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

Thank you, Max...excellent job. The Gator fans who keep apologizing for Wuerffel looking bad in practice -- and even worse -- the ones who bash the non-Gator Redskin players, are not real Redskin fans and they don't belong here. I work with a Gator/Redskin fan, and he says these people are giving the rest of the Gator crowd a bad name.

My thoughts exactly. And that's not to say that *all* Gator fans have this "our players are the greatest over" attitude about them, because that would be inaccurate. But the number of "___Gator" and "Gator____" type names that you see nothing but "Shane and Danny are great. Throw thier NFL career stats out the window cuz they are Gators and they are the best." And "Sage sucks why's he still on the team. It does matter if he's taller, faster and has a stronger arm, he's not a Gator and he hasn't been in *the system* so he's no good." gak!

Hell, EVERYONE knows Sage is a long-shot. This is not news. However, I'm encouraged by some of the reports out of camp. Even the ones that say he looks great one minute and bad the next. After all, he IS still learning the system, and it's nice to see that he's picking it up.

HOWEVER, the Gator fans who have adopted the Skins as their own and will root for EVERY Redskin regardless of where he played in college, are welcome here.

Absolutley! On MOST occasions, I love having the Gator faithful here because they can provide an insight into Spurrier and his system. Most of us know a little about him, but not to the extent that the die-hard Gator fans do.

Is it Saturday yet? :)

I believe in a way, to make sure he is showing fairness to his players, SS won't lean heavy at ex-Gator players, thus the even handed nod to Spiceman, since impressions count for something.

Sage by all means deserves to hold it down as long as he's the man, no matter if Matthews was mainly signed to initially have the starting spot. It was his to lose and if he loses it, he loses it fair and square.

I might add that Matthews has one intangible and that is NFL experience on game day, which can't be bought or sold, so he at least will be on the roster for the season.

Originally posted by GboroGator

Sounds like Sage is locking the cage on himself. :cool:

Sounds like Danny and Shane have been locking the cage on themselves for their entire career. I wouldn't go dissing our boy when your boys haven't even shown themselves to be superior to Bubby Brister.

Archived