Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tony Kornheiser( good read)

luckydevil

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/3724614.htm

IS TONY KORNHEISER GETTING TIRED OF ESPN . . . and vice versa? Kornheiser, whose ESPN radio show is not broadcast in the Bay Area, is a supremely talented writer (Washington Post) and yapper (ESPN radio and ``Pardon the Interruption'' on ESPN). But he could be getting stretched thin with his various multi-media endeavors and corporate bosses.

So a divorce from ESPN -- a big loss for the network -- is not out of the question.

Which may explain why he chose to be so public in his criticism of ESPN management over the firing of his radio producer, Denis Horgan, and why Kornheiser eventually was suspended for a week from both ESPN shows.

Sources inside and outside of ESPN's Bristol, Conn., headquarters indicate that Horgan was fired when management did a general sweep of company e-mail and found that he had forwarded inappropriate material to other employees.

On Monday, Kornheiser started a previously scheduled two-week vacation and is expected to return to both shows in August. How long he continues both shows, that's anybody's guess.

ESPN has been getting old! They are so busy being cutsy all the time that they have forgotten the basics. Just give us the dang score! We just want sports, okay! Also, I am a Tony K fan and the more time he spends away from those freaks the better. He is too good for them!

ESPN blows. Any company that does a general sweep of email and actually fires someone over it is pathetic. As long as you don't offend the person you send it to, what the hell should they care?

Now, maybe they didn't like the guy and used that as an excuse... in which case I would be more understanding.

Otherwise, good for Tony. It's nice to be in a position to stand against this type of crap.

Originally posted by Bufford

ESPN would be retarded to get rid of Tony K. He draws in a lot more listeners than Jim Rome could dream of.

I doubt that seriously! And even from a sports perspective, Jim Rome talks more sports in thirty minutes than Tony K. talked in a lifetime.

TK has said in recent months that the work schedule he's currently on is too much work for him. A WP column plus daily radio and television shows has begun to grind on him. If I had to venture a guess I'd say Tony opts out of his ESPN obligations and returns full time to writing. Writing is what got him noteriety in the first place.

Fox Sports, One-On-One, Westwood One, Clear Channel Communications or any other broadcast outfit would do well to sign Tony if in fact he does leave ESPN.

I'm not kidding. Tony K is in more markets than Jim Rome because ESPN has more stations than fox all over the country. Lets put it this way, in every city Rome is on....Tony is most likely also. However, its not the other way around. In a lot of places like Pittsburgh, they had Rome for like 5 months and then dumped him for a Sports Reporters type show.

Actually e-mail scanning is fairly common place, its pretty easy to do, it depends on what type of firewall and such you are running plus there are programs out there that are only built for e-mail scanning. In fact there are programs that are built for network scanning so they can see what people have on their computers. The administrators at your company can easily get onto your computer and take a look what you have on the hard drive without going near your desk.

Originally posted by Funkyalligator

Actually e-mail scanning is fairly common place, its pretty easy to do, it depends on what type of firewall and such you are running plus there are programs out there that are only built for e-mail scanning. In fact there are programs that are built for network scanning so they can see what people have on their computers. The administrators at your company can easily get onto your computer and take a look what you have on the hard drive without going near your desk.

That completely sucks!! I worked for AOL for a while (what a Phucked up company to work for!!) and they had all that technology at their disposal so you had to be careful even opening mail from friends, etc. that might have a nudie pic or whatever in it. As far as I am concerned, AOL can kiss my white A$$!!

The company I work for now could give a rat's a$$ what we do on our computers as long as the job is done. It is the larger corporate jobs that like to control their employees and make them live in constant fear of losing their jobs. etc.

AOL was a BS company to begin with. it is nothing more than subscriber list, in a business where digital cable hookup replacing dial up services is going really put pressure on them to maintain their user base.

as people become more sophisticated the AOL web portal looks more and more childish and basic.

as for the financial side of the AOL/Time Warner merger, it appears as if executives WERE spending all their time looking at employee emails. :laugh:

because they sure weren't managing according to any comprehensive business plan I can discern :)

Guys like Leonsis bailed on AOL a long time ago and cashed out their options, they knew the company was a shell propped up by nothing more than a bubble in tech stock prices.

ESPN is good when they stick to the basics. Crap like "The Bloc" doesn't belong on there. Jay Mohr sucks, and 'The Season' is more boring than a game of Korfball.

SportsCenter is still tops in my book. I guess I'm the minority, but I find some of the anchors quite amusing, especially Stuart Scott and Rich Eisen. Some try to hard, like John Anderson and the losers on in the wee hours of the morning.

Some anchors just read straight off the teleprompter, which gets dull. Dan Patrick and Steve Levy chief among them.

I wonder what this "innapropriate" material was that he sent. It was probably a joke about buttcheeks or vomit. People get too uptight about sexual harrassment nowadays.

Originally posted by Bufford

I'm not kidding. Tony K is in more markets than Jim Rome because ESPN has more stations than fox all over the country. Lets put it this way, in every city Rome is on....Tony is most likely also. However, its not the other way around. In a lot of places like Pittsburgh, they had Rome for like 5 months and then dumped him for a Sports Reporters type show.

You are correct.

Kornheiser 253 stations

Rome 186 stations

Archived