Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins camp vs Eagles camp

MikeB

A couple of years back I was listening to 610WIP and one of the host was commenting that the Skins camp was run very poorly -- I believe amateurish was the exact word. They where making predictions on the year and this combined with the fact that the players looked sloppy and drills where poorly run contributed to the host belief that the Skins would be last in the division. This, of course, was compared to Reid's camp. I am sure much of this is attributable to Spurrier and his laid back personality... so I do take much of this at face value.

My question is, how is Gibbs' camp different (assuming that it is.) Also, if anyone has also attended an Eagles camp, I would be very interested in how Gibbs runs his versus Reid. I respect what Reid has done with the Eagles and hope there are similarities between camps.

Any insight appreciated.

Read some of the first hand camp reports posted generously by members of ES. One thing that is evident is that the schedule is constantly moving with very little sitting around. Also, Redskins.com has excellent video of camp and you can very clearly see how busy and organized everything seems to be. All of the coaches are heartily herding the troops and the troops are responding without hesitation. There's no evidence of grab a$$ games or silliness. The videos show a very serious and focused team.

Not to mention, this is Joe Gibbs we're talking about...'nuff said.

Originally posted by MikeB

I've read all the camp reports... just curious how this camp differs from Spurriers and Reids...

During the first week of camp, I spoke with a good handful of people and the sentiment was universal.

Spurrier's camp was amateurish. There was no flow to practice, it looked completely disorganized. Players were coming out of the lockerroom at different times throughout practice. There was a lot of standing around. The drills were basically optional.

And players didn't know what was going on from drill to drill... they will all flow from one drill to another... just following the group (with a lot of stragglers) and getting in line.

Even just standing there... you'd here random people just uttering to themselves "wow, this is nothing like Spurrier's camp".

But judging by Gibbs' practices, they are the most organized a practice could possibly be. No exageration... eveyr minute is accounted for. The drills are sequenced by progression to perfection.

As a coaching staff... they've got a great program. It's destined for success. All it needs now are the right players. And they're getting there too.

As I understand it the biggest difference is that in Spurriers camp the coach would stand on the sidelines chatting about golf....while the players make their own schedules and take water breaks every 20 minutes.

while in the Redskins camp under Gibbs the coach isn't even on the side lines...he's walking all over the field supervising every player and every coach until it gets done right, while the players give 100% effort because they fear a tongue lashing or the possiblity of getting cut that day.

Other than that the camps are exactly alike.

Archived