Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT- Byron Mouton to the Wizards

Jordan is making every attempt to get players from winning programs to come here and provide an emotional spark and some confidence.

I am convinced that is at least part of the reason the team selected Dixon at #17.

It can be a risky strategy at times because you are assuming a talented player with an intangible edge is going to maintain that same edge at the next level.

But it has worked in the past for GM's like Red Auerbach who made a history in Boston of acquiring such players.

We shall see. :)

Simmons played well at the end of last season but unfortunately his caught in a spot where he is likely to get squeezed by the addition of Jared Jeffries in the draft.

Still, he was a favorite of Jordan and maybe he sticks around another year to improve?

In my mind the team HAS to think about trading Jahidi White before the season starts.

I see a pretty good opportunity this offseason to unload White and get decent returns.

Centers are at a premium and when you see Dale Davis and other natural power forwards playing the #5 spot, you know that White will garner some interest, especially out West. :)

I sooo called that. He's perfect coming off the bench. He can guard 2s and 3s. He can handle the small slashing PFs when he comes in for Jeffries, and can be part of the shutdown crew with Dixon, guarding the SGs. Obviously Dixon and Mouton know each other, have good teamwork and chemistry together... this is goood stuff. I hope/wonder if he can develop at the 2 spot enough to be Hamilton's backup. If Dixon can make the switch to PG, that would be ideal. Mouton is a straight up tough mofo. He was even effective guarding PFs throughout the season.

Exactly how tall is Muyton?

We only have one SF under contract and that is Simmons since MJ will be playing backup SG if he comes back.

We should resign popeye jones with the promise of him moving to the FO in a year since he seems to be very good in communicating with the youngins.

Now if we can just unload Laetner

I don't see Mouton as anything but a practice squad player that will give the Wizards another body for summer league play. To earn a roster sport he will likely have to battle it out with Hubert Davis because there is no way the Wizards will give up on Simmons after only one season with team.

Simmons has shown way too much promise late last year to be discarded for a rookie that, besides defense, doesn't really have much going for him.

Mouton is 6'6, and he can score just fine, thanks. He proved that during the camps and workouts.

I dunno laurent, I see him as a guy who is on the "inured list" for most of the year, until Jordan/Hamilton/Jeffries goes down, and then gets activated. At which point, he'll perform so damn well, they'll have to keep him around. He'll be going against Rod Grizzard for this role, methinks.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks Laettner is looking like the Wiz version of Donovan Greer/Stanley Richards this year? I kinda doubt he's on the roster come opening day.

As far as this..

We only have one SF under contract and that is Simmons since MJ will be playing backup SG if he comes back.

Jeffries, Simmons,Grizzard, and Mouton can all play the 3. And I expect Jordan to play some 3, whether or not its his primary role.

TCO I always saw Mouton as a "banger" player inside, when minutes are needed for rest for the starters. These are the scrub players that mainly ride the pine and when the team faced is more of an inside dominant team (Lakers, Boston, Miami, etc.), get the call to give relief. I thought he'd be picked somewhere early on, but as the tournament winded down, he got unraveled and lost stock. He could resurge in the NBA though, ie, Dennis Rodman type, because his size gives him an edge against guards and he's tough enough and jumps high enough to deal with small forwards.

Of course he'll get schooled by some good ones, like Carter (ego aside), but I really believe he will fit in the NBA. When the season nears an end, for 2002, don't be surprised if a pitch is made for him to be on someone's roster with a bigger role.

'besides playing good defense he doesn't have that much to offer'...............

well, in my mind the primary weakness of the Wizards basketball team, beyond getting better talent :), is that it has a defense that gets shredded both inside and outside each season.

look at last year's team. Hamilton didn't play defense. Neither did Alexander. Lue at 5'11 is a defensive liability against half of the starting guards in the Conference.

the team's best defenders were Jordan at 40 and Jones at 33.

and there are some significant miles on those bones. :)

no, I agree that Simmons has shown promise and will not be jettisoned by the team unless there is a trade or signing that shifts the balance of talent on the roster.

But at the same time when the Wizards can get in a player that plays good one on one defense and is willing to work for everything he gets, that is someone that the team HAS to look seriously at. :)

Archived