Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3 offensive lineman cut

RiggoRanger

Redskins.com

Redskins Make Personnel Changes

07/02/2002

The Redskins announced Tuesday they have waived long snapper Tony Grant, and offensive linemen Scott Harper and Terrence Simmons.

Simmons spent 12 weeks of the 2001 season on the Redskins practice squad before being signed to the active roster. He spent both the 2001 and 2002 NFL Europe seasons on the Frankfurt Galaxy.

Harper, acquired by Washington in January of 2002, was also allocated to NFL Europe, but did not play. Grant joined the Redskins in April as an undrafted free agent out of Michigan State, where he played all 12 games at long snapper as a senior.

:rolleyes:I wonder why we cut these guys already--at least they are warm bodies for training camp. Who's gonna take their place?

We still have 18 linemen if you count Grau and Albright. We probably had more than the coaches could really even work with so they trimmed a few that they thought had no chance to compete for a job.

Chris Samuels

Reggie Coleman

Melvin Paige

Kip Vickers

Dave Loverne

Wayne Smith

Akil Smith

Larry Moore

Keith Dustin

Ethan Albright

Jeff Grau

Rod Jones

David Brandt

Alex Sulfsted

Leon Hires

Jon Jansen

Ross Tucker

Ron Boldin

It also opens roster spots for future signings.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see another Safety and WR signed, as there are many good ones still available, and they aren't expecting much of a salary. We might even see a good back-up RB brought in (I'm sure a quality Back-up sees the Davis contract situation as a plus).

I realize none pick-ups would address any pressing needs, but this is where the value lies.

There just aren't many quality OG and DT available right now. Maybe later in camp, after first cuts ... by then we'll know whether Loverne, Sulftead, tucker, or Brandt can handle the job.

None of these guys counted against the cap anyway. Only the top 51 players on the roster count, and the Skins are over 80 right now. Simmons and Harper must have really blown in NFL Europe to have been cut so early. All NFL Europe allocations are exempt from camp roster limits until the final cut, so the Skins could have easily brought both to camp AND not had them impact the cap at all. If I were to read anything into this, I'd say our undrafted rookies must look pretty promising.

And I'd say that since Grant was cut, we should be keeping Albright through camp. And that's a good thing.

Simmons' greatest asset was his size, but it was also probably his downfall as well.

6'8 and 330. that's a big man, but also one who likely didn't have the balance and quickness to play in the NFL. you get a guy that tall and it is often easy to get him off his center of gravity.

that was what was amazing about Ed "Too Tall" Jones. The guy was 6'8 but he was athletic and played the game with excellent balance and leverage.

right, but you would have hoped that a guy that had been around for almost 2 years supposedly working on his game would have made the 'cut' to the training camp roster AHEAD of some UDFA's that are just starting to understand what is required to play in the NFL :)

or you can look at it the other way and say that Mendes and Spurrier's staff have been more effective at finding rookie UFDA's this year and we don't need to bring back last year's practice squaders for depth.

that would be nice if it turned out to be the case.

I think you shouldn't read too much into Greer's release and its timing. It would have happened June 1 except for his injury claim and now that Adams has stuck to his guns on the bonus issue, I don't expect another major signing.

I still believe the team will have to sign a veteran guard before or during the first week of camp, although they may still be deluding themselves into thinking that Kipp Vickers and David Loverne may emerge after all.

hey, hope springs eternal, eh? :)

isn't this Vickers' like 20th shot at an NFL roster in just 6 years?

I agree that these cuts imply that the long snapper competition is down to Albright and 7th-rounder Grau (if I'm remembering correctly).

I still don't understand why we can't cut Albright (the reliable long snapper who got a moderate bonus and so isn't eligible for the reduced salary cap hit for having a minimum salary) -- and then rehire him for the minimum (with the corresponding salary cap reduction). Cf. John Clayton on ESPN re: others similarly situated:

June 25, 2002

Gowin back to New Orleans

Toby Gowin's release from the New Orleans Saints will be short-lived. After being cut Monday from his $655,000 salary, Gowin agreed Tuesday to re-sign with the team for NFL minimum of $525,000, which counts $450,000 against the salary cap. The transaction saves the Saints $205,000 of cap room. Gowin will compete against Dan Hadenfeldt and Dirk Johnson.

Archived