Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MIT computer generated conference papers

jrockster21

Okay, so this is a little nerdy, but seeing as how we're all on a message board, I figure I'm in safe territory.

Anyway, these guys were featured in Popular Science. They developed this program that generates entire conference papers on computer stuff. They are basically nonsense, but they include graphs, references, and they actually read like they make sense. I don't know enough about computers to tell the difference, anyway.

Anyway, they submitted a few of these fake papers to a conference and got them published! Pretty funny....anyway, check it out here.

Originally posted by iheartskins

That's pretty cool. I bet a lot of High School teachers are going to get fooled--at least initially.

I don't know about that...if I was a High-School teacher and I got a paper generated from this website, I would be immediately suspicious because they are way beyond HS levels.....well, way beyond the level I was at in HS anyway....

Originally posted by jrockster77

I don't know about that...if I was a High-School teacher and I got a paper generated from this website, I would be immediately suspicious because they are way beyond HS levels.....well, way beyond the level I was at in HS anyway....

Good point, perhaps I should change that to "college professors" :)

The abstract of the article generated showed it was just BS but that is actually legitimate in the world of academic journals. Throw together a bunch of unrelated formulas, charts, and of course unnecessary abstraction to explain something trivial like that computer networks are more efficent when less packets are sent. I have had to memorize crap formulas to explain the flow of traffic in routers that can simply be explained by common sense.

If you think that's unnecessarily complicated just try making sense of public health journal articles that try to explain the theory behind why increasing cigarette taxes reduce smoking for example....and of course they all have to have a "logic model" that shows a few geometric shapes with some arrows thrown in the mix. Just brilliant:rolleyes:

Archived