Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Credit report -- help!

E-Dog Night

I'm moving soon and my credit report is going to be run by a few people. I want to check it to see what my score is...I know I have at least one thing on there that I need to pay, but the questions are:

1) By accessing my credit report, will I be able to determine who I owe and how to get in touch with them?

2) Are these "free credit report" service really free & do I have anything to worry about by using them?

3) Does anyone have any general advice/services about doing this kind of stuff?

Thanks! I suck at this kind of thing and I need all the help I can get.

1) Yes

2) Yes, but they are not available in all 50 states yet. Check the website to make sure. I know it's not available here yet in Virginia.

3) Check over all three reports with a finely-toothed comb. Wash, rinse, repeat. Call any of them if you have any questions. I once had a typographical error on one of my three reports which resulted in a discrepancy of almost 25 points. That's pretty big.

Nick

Edit: I ass/u/med you meant the free credit report availability, not a service. If the later is the case, then see the post below.

start here-

clarkhoward.com

A few words of advice. Free Credit reports are different than Free Credit Report SERVICES. Dont sign up for one of the latters. You should be able to do this on your own. Unless there is a huge problem.

The credit report will show you all of the outstanding balances you have as well as every acct you have open. This is key. I found out a few years ago that I had an Amex Acct opened that I never knew (or more likely had forgotten about) existed. It had no blance and never had any activity, but Im glad I found it.

Thanks -- that's a good start so far.

Her's some thing s form the Clark Howard website:

• You can now see your actual credit score, a number from 300 to 850, that tells you whether you're a good risk.

• To improve your credit score quickly, pay your bills on time and pay down the total amount you owe.

• There are three major credit bureaus who issue credit reports to lenders - Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion - and they don't share information. So even if you correct an error on one credit report, you will have to do the same on the other two.

• You have the right under federal law to challenge items on your credit report. The credit bureau then has 30 days to decide whether that item should be removed.

• If a credit bureau refuses to correct a mistake, you can sue them.

Archived