Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Windows XP Pro help needed....

TC4

I have a computer that runs Windows XP Professional

For the last few days when I turn it on or restart, I have been getting this messagein a window:

Windows Registry Recovery

One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of log or alernate copy. The recovery was successful

So is this something that I need to try to fix or is it something I can't fix and should leave alone?

It sounds like your memory and/or cache has a problem. In a nutshell, there's an area occupied by your Windows Registry that is bad. Therefore, every time you start up the operating system tries to read that area of memory/cache and cannot. So the system retrieves data from a backup copy (log or alternate) and writes it to what sounds like a temporary area since the area containing the original data cannot be accessed.

Bottom line? Try replacing your memory.

You can go to www.windows.com/support and type in the exact error. I looked myself and possibly found an answer:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&spid=1173&mode=r&cat=false&query=windows+registry+recovery&srch=sup&x=7&y=8

Another possible answer to this problem:

Registry damage often occurs when programs with access to the registry do not cleanly remove temporary items that they store in the registry. This problem may also be caused if a program is terminated or experiences a user-mode fault.

If you delete critical files in the Registry the system will either not boot or boot to a blue screen and provide an error.

Archived