18 members have voted

1. 1. Phillies, Orioles, or Other??

• Phillies
    • Orioles
    • Other

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2074490

Receiver just pleaded not guilty to DUI

Associated Press

KIRKLAND, Wash. – Troubled wide receiver Koren Robinson, who was suspended for substance abuse last season and faces drunken driving charges, was released Thursday by the Seattle Seahawks.

The team also released veteran cornerback Bobby Taylor, signed as a free agent last season after starring with Philadelphia. Taylor was troubled by injuries for much of last year.

Robinson sat out six of the final seven games last year for disciplinary reasons -- two games for breaking team rules and four for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

He pleaded not guilty Tuesday in Kirkland Municipal Court to drunken and reckless driving and is due back in court on July 18, The News Tribune of Tacoma reported.

Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, declined immediate comment Thursday afternoon, saying he had not spoken with Robinson.

Robinson was the ninth overall pick in the 2001 draft. His best season was 2002, when he had 78 receptions for 1,240 yards, the only Seattle receiver other than Hall of Famer Steve Largent to record a 1,200-yard season.

His production subsequently declined, with 39 receptions for 536 yards in 2003 and 31 receptions for 495 yards last season.

Robinson played in 57 games in Seattle, with 213 receptions for 3,167 yards and 12 touchdowns.

The team did not mention Robinson's legal problems in a statement announcing his release Thursday, and declined further comment when reached by phone. A day earlier, the team said it was "extremely disappointed and concerned with Koren's situation.

"We have established several programs, both league- and team-sponsored, to support and help him. We will continue to encourage him to use this support network and believe he should be held accountable for his actions."

After a practice April 30, about a week before he was cited for drunken and reckless driving in Medina, Robinson vowed to stay out of trouble.

"I know the consequences," he said at the time. "Either you want to be in the NFL or you don't. And I do. So, I have to do everything I gotta do to stay here."

Robinson was scheduled to earn $1.35 million in 2005. As a multiple offender, he could be subject to additional discipline by the league if convicted of the most recent charges.

Thursday is the first day teams can release players and defer any salary cap penalty until next season.

Robinson was part of an inconsistent Seattle receiving corps that struggled with dropped passes the last two seasons. The Seahawks added Joe Jurevicius and Jerome Pathon to the roster in the offseason to increase their depth at receiver. The Seahawks also released Jerry Rice on Feb 25.

man that year was supposed to be so deep in recievers, but all the first round picks have essentially been underachievers or busts. Terrell, Robinson, 50-50, Moss. I think Mitchell was taken by phili that year too.

Archived