Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone here have guinea pigs or skinny pigs?

gbear

Yes, Skinny pigs are a real thing.  They are hairless guinea pigs.   They are very social animals who love attention both from people and other skinny/guinea pigs.  We had three for about a month after being given them.  Then one died.  Last month another died of a funky pretty gross cancer after we had them for approximately 2 years.  Now we are down to 1 lonely skinny pig.  We have been told he will die unless he is reintroduced to other guinea pigs.  That leads me to my next question, does anyone want to rescue a lovable skinny pig? With my wife's torn rotator cuff surgery recovery and four kids, we simply can't take more into our house.  So we are looking to find a home for him if anyone has an appropriate place. 

Think of him as a very miniature hogette with appropriate male pattern baldness... 

my son has a guinea pig. had two we got from the gaithersburg shelter, but one died over a year ago. he's been talking about getting another one. 

how big is the skinny pig? same size as a regular guinea pig? bigger than a hamster, smaller than a squirrel?

grego, yes, they are the same size.  The only real difference in looks is the skinny pig has only a small tuft of hair on his head.  Otherwise he is hairless.

There is a difference in activity levels as the skinny pigs tend to be more active.  Without hair to warm them, they move around more and burn more calories as a result.  So they eat a bit more and as always, some of what goes in comes out...

Alternatively, because they don't have hair they are even more apt to huddle together with others, regardless of whether the other is a person or skinny pig.  Let me know if you are interested in taking him in, even if only on a trial basis.

Archived