Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC: Female sports journalists react to Cam Newton, share their own sexist experiences

China

Female sports journalists react to Cam Newton, share their own sexist experiences

Female sports reporters don't have an easy job.

The hurdles they continue to face were brought into the spotlight this week after an interaction between Cam Newton and a female reporter.

During a press conference Wednesday, the Carolina Panthers quarterback laughed at a question posed by Jourdan Rodrigue. The Charlotte Observer sportswriter's question was a valid one -- she asked about the team's routes, which caused Newton to reply: "It's funny to hear a female talk about routes."

ESPN W contributor Shana Renee Stephenson told ABC News that what Rodrigue experienced was not unusual.

"If you talk to any woman beat writer, I’m sure they have stories for days about a similar interaction whether it be with an athlete or a team executive or something," she said "They’re a woman in a male-dominated industry."

But not only female sports reporters were offended, ESPN reporter Michele Steele said. "Some of my male colleagues ... thought this was offensive," she noted.

"If you watch the video," Steele went onto explain, "he paused for a laugh and I didn’t hear anybody laughing. This was something pretty universally condemned on my side."

Newton apologizes in Twitter video post for sexist comments

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Cam Newton apologized in a Twitter video post Thursday night for sexist comments made to a female reporter.
“After careful thought, I understand that my word choice was extremely degrading and disrespectful to women,” the Carolina Panthers quarterback said at the start of the nearly two-minute video. “To be honest, that was not my intentions. And if you are a person who took offense to what I said, I sincerely apologize to you.”

Click on the link for the full article

Archived