Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Crank Up Pressure With Five Sacks Vs. Eagles

After having four total in the first three games they got back into pressure on the QB like they did against Miami. Maybe it's only home games they rush the passer with 8 of 9 sacks this year have been at FedEx.

Bradford still managed 3 TDs on 15 completions with almost as many yards as Kirk had in his 31 so still some work in the secondary. But the pressure made the difference. Well, that and Sam kept throwing it to Agholor who made a couple of nice catches but mostly just wiffed. 

Yes. More work needs to be done in the secondary. I was yelling at the tv(dogs won't stay in the room when watching football) that Culliver should not have been playing yesterday. He gave up two and also gave up on the play. Jogging after the receiver got past. But was pleasantly surprised about the pressure and the good run defense.

HTTR

Ok just got to actually watch the game - I listen to our broadcast then watch it on NFL rewind. Here are my 5 take-aways.

1. That Defense is legit. Even last week, we did not lose because of th D. we lost because of poor STs and a bad performance by the QB. But after 4 weeks the D is in the top 10 in almost every meaningful category. You just can't ask for much more. Next week will be the stiffest test. It will probably not be pretty. Atl is on fire right now and our secondary is decimated by injury. But who knows. You might see the first real blitzing next week. But the Joe Barry haters need to get off their high horse and admit they were wrong. This is clearly a much better D than anything Jim Haslett produced.

2. Kirk was the man today. He led this team like a guy in control. But he has to show more consistency. He laid an absolute egg last week. No two ways about it. I am not taking anything away from him for today. He responded that poor performance like a real professional. Today was a big step forward. That last drive was a thing of beauty! Let's put a few of these games together and our immediate future will look pretty bright.

3. It was mentioned elsewhere, but all the young guys stepping up has been amazing. Not just rookies but 2nd and 3rd yr guys. One of the unsung heros today is Spencer Long. He was awesome at LG. A few more games like that and SL may have trouble getting his spot back. WE play another good rushing D next week. I hope Long can keep it up. Bu Jarrett, Thompson, Scherff, Moses, Murphy (yes that Murphy) - great games. Really doing their jobs!

4. The kicker - One of the best decisions the FO has made since being here. It was so nice not to have to worry about a huge run back after every score. Mostly TBs the way it should be. And he hit all his FGs! STs in general have been better. Did you all see Darrell Young in there blocking for punts now? What a veteran move!

5. My only negative - We are still getting completely out played in the 3rd Q. That has to stop! We are wasting great 1st half efforts. So far we got away with it 2 of the 3 times, but it will start to kill us. We have to come out Off and Def like it was the start of the game! Go for the throat!

Well one more - The penalties - But I am not so sure it's all the players fault. Penalties are up by 2 penalties per gm per team in just the last 3 years! The league is on pace to break last records for number of penalties. The league average is 8.1 penalties accepted per team per game. In 2013 it was just 6.3! Just something to think about.

Overall, great team win! Very proud of our boys! Cousins is starting to look legit long term. Joe Barry is legit, and the team is starting to learn how to win. Today was a huge step forward.    HTTR!!

Good teams are going to make adjustments at the half, especially if they are behind going into the 3rd Quarter. Redskins just haven't been quick to alter their strategy. And if there are any soft spots those teams are going to try and exploit it.

Washington was in Cover 3 most of the game so as long there was pressure on Bradford the corners weren't getting tested deep. When the Eagles came out after halftime they went after Culliver, who clearly wasn't 100%, like a shark smelling blood in the water. Considering who the Skins had available on Defense they probably didn't have much of a choice. Keeping the Eagles offense off the field for 40+ min's possibly helped the most. 

Still not jumping on the Barry bandwagon and anoint him as the second coming of Wade Phillips. 9 sacks on the year with 8 of them at home. I'll wait to see some better defensive game planning on the road. They have benefited a lot from TOP - good for them. Take advantage of what you can. 

Skins are #1 in TOP. Guess who is #2 (hint Washington goes on the road to play them this week). I expect to see the defense on the field a lot more in the Georgia Dome. 

Archived