Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins Named Redskins' Starting Quarterback

Really tho all that is history now and i do appreciate you being a man and pointing it out goskins. I Always respected you my man!!!!

On to today's Redskins i am really excited to see how the year plays out and I hope we have something in Kirk, we don't know at this point. I do know what he has overcome as a player in both college and now in the NFL being behind a CIRCUS and trying to better his game. I will say he won't go down without fighting and working

his tail off and i don't see any issues with his presser's / media!!

Hopefully the Skins fans will all rally behind him as our new leader in 2015!

Jay Gruden is the problem; he wanted to do this the entire time he's been here. Jay asked RG3 to change his style (note: the style he has seen success in college and NFL) and to be as successful (immediately) in this new style of play. That's like asking someone who's been right handed all his life to start writing with his left hand and be instantly just as good. I've been a Redskins fan all my life; Jay is the worst coach we have had. This type of coaching makes it hard to be a hard core fan. Kirk is a turnover machine and will continue to turn over the ball. You have to be blind to give someone the starting job based on his performance against guys who will be packing groceries next week. He keep talking about sacks, you did not have Trent in against Detroit and you had a tackle playing TE. Of course RG3 was sacked - any QB would have taken that beaten. Bottom line is this; when you have a proven QB (in college and the NFL) you do not come in and ask him to adjust to your scheme...you as a coach adjust your scheme to fit his play. That's what happen in RG3's first year and we went to the playoffs. I bet my paycheck the fans will be calling for RG3 before the 3rd quarter ends against Miami. Miami has the best D-Line in the league and Kirk plays in quick sand. Jay needs to ask his brother how be a head coach in this league. This is the Redskins not being able to judge talent %u2013 if RG3 is released, a more seasoned coach will use RG3%u2019s skills to win games while SLOWLY sprinkling in new schemes and new approaches to playing the quarterback position. Jay let it go to his head that he turned around the quarterback in Cincinnati; that QB plays the same in the NFL as he did in college. That%u2019s not a turnaround %u2013 that%u2019s taking someone%u2019s current skills and making him better %u2013 not asking him to play totally different. No one asked the QB in Cincinnati to be a running QB %u2013 he is pocket player and that%u2019s what they wanted him to do in the NFL. RG3 has never been a pocket passes; if that%u2019s what you want %u2013 bring him along slowly while still letting him build his confidence by doing what he does best%u2026be a running QB. Look at the success in Seattle; who asked that QB to be a pocket passer and not a running QB? No one %u2013 that%u2019s why they made it to the Super Bowl 2 twice and the playoffs ever since he entered the league. Jay needs to let an athlete be an athlete and stop acting like a child. If you don%u2019t think he asks like a child %u2013 look at how he talks to Kirk as he comes off the field but walks away from RG3 as he comes off the field. Why does Kirk need coaching and reassurance coming off the field but not RG3.

I%u2019ll leave with this; why does the Redskins have someone who has never played the game hiring head coaches. That%u2019s like me hiring a doctor to be a surgeon. I%u2019ve never been a doctor so, I cannot judge medical talent %u2013 if you don%u2019t understand football at every level %u2013 you should not be interviewing and hiring coaches. This is why we have had a million coaches since Gibbs (the first time Gibbs left). Denver is doing it right %u2013 get someone in charge who understand all the nuances of this game.

I'm a big fan of Redskins, but I'm having trouble with them. This is hard. I don't like this decision, the decision to hire Gruden, the decision to fire Shannahan, The trade up for Griffin, all of it. This sucks, waste of picks, waste of time, but a good 2012 season.

I'm not sold on Cousins: Here's why. He fumbled in the last game. Threw a pick on a screen play because he didn't see the defender, threw a touchdown pass into double coverage that was tipped by accident to open receiver, how is this a good performance? He was a turnover machine when he was in, just because a ball roll (ALF recovering and tip going the right direction) he has a TD and no fumble which easily could have been 3 turnovers in the game.

I looked at the numbers and although RGIII isn't spectacular, he was better in every category the past two years. More wins, higher completion percentage, better TD/Int. ratio, more TDs. He is 5/15 as a starter over past 2 years as opposed to 1/7 so better win percentage. Add to that ALF gets more yards per carry when RGIII is in and you have a better run game. This doesn't make sense. His preseasons hasn't been great and most of his numbers are against 2nd, 3rd team guys with no scheme against him. There is a reason no one has ponied up some huge draft picks to get him when he was a backup.

I also don't like the play calling. RGIII does really well in play action, read option play action, play action boot, naked boot. He's not a pocket passer, so leave him in the pocket for like 3-5 plays a game and the rest, make him run out of pocket and throw.

While I'm looking at performances, RGIII was not great either, but Garcon did drop a bomb that would have been a 60plus TD.

Oh Well.

Jay Gruden is the problem; he wanted to do this the entire time he's been here. Jay asked RG3 to change his style (note: the style he has seen success in college and NFL) and to be as successful (immediately) in this new style of play. That's like asking someone who's been right handed all his life to start

Edit per blog rules....

I could not disagree more about Jay and really getting tired of people trashing this guy. He was dealt a **** storm of a team by MS. MS broke Robert leaving him in that Seattle gm and then starting him too early in 2013. I have no idea if Cousins is really the answer, but I am on board that Robert is not the answer either and I have been one of Robert's biggest supporters.

Starting Cousins is so much more about what Robert has not been able to do and the work Cousins has put in than any conspiracy. I am also absolutely certain Jay did not make this decision in a vacuum. I am certain that he talked it over with Scot, the OC Sean, and Matt C the QB coach. They made this call together. They need to see what they have on the team. Robert is not progressing fast enough. Also, and I would guess more important, he is injured, yet again! You cannot help the team if you are not on the field!

Look for a quick trigger if Cousins struggles the same as he did last year. If after 2 yrs in the system, none of the guys get it, then they will get another QB in the draft.

Archived