Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is gruden finally getting authority as a coach?

Davistron20

If this needs to be combined in another thread, my bad.

Just saw that RG3 and his wife/family were stripped of their facility-access privileges. ian Rapaport reported that Gruden has the go-ahead from the head honchos to do this and bench him if necessary...

Thoughts?

My reaction has really nothing to do with RG3, but I think the undertone that Gruden has been given those powers to do those things is a step in the right direction.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000432398/article/jay-gruden-can-bench-rgiii-eliminate-privileges

If this needs to be combined in another thread, my bad.

There's a new RG3-centric thread pinned just a few threads above this one. Could have gone there, or many of the other threads that this has been brought up.  Mods aren't playing about people starting unnecessary threads.....

Edit: I think I just misunderstood the intent of your thread. Sorry about that.

Well, it's not really about Rg3, more about them giving Gruden the ability to actually make a coaching decision. How do I go about merging or deleting this?

Yeah, I get that.....personally, I'd just err on the side of caution right now as people are getting handed bans if the mods feel the thread is unnecessary.  But if your goal is to focus on Gruden getting more authority, then you should be fine.

That being said, I am torn on the whole situation.  I don't think it was a good idea for the FO to air the "dirty laundry" to the media, but am glad to see that nobody is above the team and Gruden is holding everyone to the same standard, and has the support of the FO. 

I think he's had authority all along.  The problem is that he realizes that the competitive phase of the season is over, so he needs to deal with the RG3 question for the next 6 games. He doesn't want it to bleed into next year, which could be his last if its anything like this one, so its time to start treating RG3 like any other 3rd year quarterback.

while the title focuses on a separation of the theme, the same article is already being discussed at length in two other existing threads. and, of course, it would degenerate into "another RG3 thread", anyway. this one doesn't require a merge.

however, the formatting of the thread violated other rules (like #10), too. sigh.

for people that aren't vets at starting new threads properly, a reminder from the rules (#7) that may be useful:

We suggest newer members spend some time just reading the forums you're interested in, getting to know the board a bit, and definitely learn the rules, before starting new threads.

If you are reporting Redskins "news" or "rumors" more than a few minutes old, please use the Search Feature (advanced setting) and/or scan the first two pages of the forum before posting, to ensure the news hasn't already been posted and the topic discussed. If the ES Search Feature seems to be ineffective, use this option. Multiple topics may be closed or merged and other penalties may be applied.

This is a very large and active community, with sweeping media coverage and up-to-the-minute updates. More than likely, most news/information has already been posted and is the subject of discussion in existing threads. Most current and relevant topics usually have any number of variations active in threads at any given time. If you wish to discuss that topic, you are encouraged to do so in one of those existing threads.

Archived