Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone have (or use) a Soloflex?

The Evil Genius

Owned and used one for about 5 years, EG. Grew quite fond of it.

Originally bought it 1) to reduce the chances of little fingers (3 munchkins at home) getting mashed between plates or toes getting mushed beneath them, and 2) becuase I got a sweet deal.

It took some getting used to. Having started out as a free-weight guy, then eventually moving on to a machine with stacks that a friend bought, I found it ... well, strange. Didn't really feel I was getting the work I was looking for. And the straps are a very different feel.

Then, a strange thing happened: after I got past the strangeness of the feeling, and the mental prejudice (yo, I don't think these rubber bands are heterosexual), I strated to get very satisfying results. And when I thought about the sweet deal I got, I became all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

Says here that once you get used to the feel of the straps and how they give and play, and get past the ribbing you may take from your more macho friends, you will find you can achieve a fine workout and good results.

For the record, though ... given the choice today, and since I have no spotter at home, I think I would probably blow the tax refund money on a shiny new BowFlex. ;)

Originally posted by Om

Owned and used one for about 5 years, EG. Grew quite fond of it.

Originally bought it 1) to reduce the chances of little fingers (3 munchkins at home) getting mashed between plates or toes getting mushed beneath them, and 2) becuase I got a sweet deal.

It took some getting used to. Having started out as a free-weight guy, then eventually moving on to a machine with stacks that a friend bought, I found it ... well, strange. Didn't really feel I was getting the work I was looking for. And the straps are a very different feel.

Then, a strange thing happened: after I got past the strangeness of the feeling, and the mental prejudice (yo, I don't think these rubber bands are heterosexual), I strated to get very satisfying results. And when I thought about the sweet deal I got, I became all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

Says here that once you get used to the feel of the straps and how they give and play, and get past the ribbing you may take from your more macho friends, you will find you can achieve a fine workout and good results.

For the record, though ... given the choice today, and since I have no spotter at home, I think I would probably blow the tax refund money on a shiny new BowFlex. ;)

Thanks - the Bow Flex does look nice and shiny.

My friend bought one (soloflex that is) and hardly used it - he's having a kid now and the wife wants him to move it out of the spare bedroom.

He's selling it for $200 - with 400lbs+ in straps and the leg and butterfly extensions...

Think I might end up buying it from him.

I've had one for about 5 years....they're nice..here are what I think the pros/cons are:

pro: easy to use, no weights to deal with, can do a lot of different exercises with just one relatively small piece of gear, VERY durable, sturdy, and well-made.

con: its somewhat of a pain reconfiguring for different exercises (but guess thats a necessary evil in an all-in-one type product), you have to be a contortionist to get into iand out of it for bench press, and its expensive.

I always thought the bowflex looked simpler to use and setup, but I've never actually used one of those.

$200 with 4 bills worth of straps is a good deal, assuming it's in decent shape. Plus, you can order replacement / additional straps if you ever break one (or feel the need to bench 410 :) ).

As to the reconfiguring; yeah, it's a pain. I got over it by telling myself it was all part of the workout ... mental and physical.

Soloflex ain't cutting edge anymore, no ... but it's a solid option at the right price. You can get out if what you put into it.

My father bought Soloflex when it first came out...back when I was in 8th grade, so that was in 1989 or so. It cost $1000 at the time and another $250 for the butterfly attachment and $250 for the leg extension attachment. $1500 total. I still ask my father at times for a hit of what he was smoking that day! :high:

It sits in a spare bedroom now back home. Too cumbersome to use, yet too valuable to throw away. It is now a place to stack laundry etc.

I've never liked the machine. It was good for doing dips and lat pull-downs, but everything else just seemed too clumsy, ricketty (is that a word?) or the resistence was way off. It also takes up a TON of space too. Don't go by my opinion though, I've been an avid weight lifter for over 10 years so I'm used to the quality of machines at the gym. If you are looking to work out for 30 minutes a day, a few days a week, $200 for a used one isn't a bad idea.

EG, if your travels ever take you near Southbridge, MA, let me know, I'm sure my parents would have no problem getting rid of the Soloflex...just make sure to bring a truck. :cheers:

I've had one since about 1988, although I don't use it nearly as much as I did then. It didn't take too long to get used to the rubber bands or the configuration changes for different exercises. Once you memorize what level you need the bar and other attachments at, it is pretty quick and easy to change from one exercise to another. You'll also get a knack for doing exercises which are easy transitions with the bar. Overall, I think it was well worth the price, which was high at the time with the butterfly and leg extensions added on. Getting under the bar for benching is tough at first because you want it low so you get a full resistance, but one you load up on the weight straps, it is tough to squeeze in.

I think the "strangeness" OM speaks of can also be attributed to the utilization of even more of the stabilization muscles, tendons, and ligature than more "Man-like" free weights. I'm a free weight person myself, but I've used a bowflex/soloflex on occasion when training with a certain friend. When I finally manipulated my body into the contraption and began lifting, I felt as if I'd suddenly came down with Mono and couldn't lift barely any weight. Also, it takes a while to get over the feeling of accidently letting loose of one of the handles and having the machine bounce around your spare bedroom and wreak havoc on the dry wall as it gouges large holes in the walls. :laugh:

OM...your talk of smashed toes reminded me of the same friend with the bowflex. He and I also lifted at the gym also, a gym owned by Lex Luger in Atlanta and frequented by all the WWF wrestlers and offseason NFL football players. One day a bunch of the WWF girls were in working out, any my friend inadvertently dropped a 25lb weight on his toe while gawking at the women's bodies and trying to place the weight on the hammer strength machine. All the tissue and blood literally exploded out of the tip of his big toe. A trooper he was, he finished his workout before having me drive him to the hospital.

Archived