Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Talking Trade with Bears at #4 Spot

Would you want the Skins to sign Emmitt?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want the Skins to sign Emmitt?

• Yes, that would be a good idea!
    • No, He is old and a former Cowboy!

Hmm. Very interesting. :laugh: It would appear the Bears contacted the Redskins and not the other way around.

DAILY RUMOR MILL by Profootballtalk editor Mike Florio

POSTED 3:35 p.m. EST, February 27, 2003 (THURSDAY)

'SKINS, BEARS TALKIN' SMOOT

Our official Chicago mole tells us that Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo recently spoke with Redskins officials regarding cornerback Fred Smoot.

This new would appear to suggest that the 'Skins are dangling Smoot (and, presumably, their No. 13 overall pick) to the Bears, in exchange for the four hole in the draft, and possibly more. Given that Angelo has posed questions regarding matters such as Smott's health and his contract, it appears that the Bears might have some interest in making a deal.

It's no secret that the 'Skins would like to move up in the draft. The Washington Times reported on Wednesday that the 'Skins offered Smoot to the Lions in an effort to grab the No. 2 spot in the draft. Pete Prisco of CBSSportsline.com reports today that the Redskins have talked with two other team about a Smoot deal, presumably for a higher draft spot.

If the Bears stand pat, we've confirmed that they will not take a quarterback in the four spot, under any circumstances. Instead, they'll look to free agency, and Angelo's top choices in free agency are Kordell Stewart and Jake Delhomme. Angelo also would be interested in Jake Plumme, but he's accepted the fact that Plummer most likely is heading to Denver -- and that he's likely going to want more money than the Bears would pay.

I like having that pick. But i dont like the idea of trading smoot. He was drafted by us and im a believer that when you draft someone you stay with them for at least 3 years. He had a great 1st year not too good of a 2nd but that can be fixed. He is a great personality to have in the locker room and with what we see talking to the media. I love Fred Smoot he cant go. Him and Champ are good friends. What if next year champ doesnt resign because of this??

Is Bauman really ready to handle the starting CB spot??

if not what do we do to take his place.

I HATE trading players cause i actually have a heart unlike Danny Snyder. But in his job its good to not have a heart. I like trading draft picks better. They are just something written on paper and not a human that we've grown to love the past 2 years.

Suggs or Rogers..Bears have the number 4? I hate to lose smoot if we do this, but if we do, I would have to take Rogers if we can. If he is not available def. suggs. Maybe we can trade something to get smoot back after we trade him..lol..I agree with you skins26, us dedicated fans want to keep high draft picks that have proven well and have shown a dedication to wearing the redskins uniform.

If we jump up to #4 and decide on d-line, we have to take Suggs. We can always re-do Wilkinson's deal and work something out with Powell or even go get Thornton for a modest price, but there are not as many options at DE.

Suggs is the top d-lineman available. I'd take him-but probably not over Johnson and definetly not over Rogers.

I posted this yesterday on a diff site:

"Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:04 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, teams now know what we are offering to move up in the draft... if we really did...??

Teams that could really use some CB help and draft in front of us:

CIN, DET, CHI, DAL, ARI, MIN, JAX, STL well, that's just about everybody even CAR isn't that well off....

So what is realistic? I think CHI is a legit possibility, and then they could look more seriously at going after a QB (Boller or Grossman) with their first rounder... at the four pick there is a good chance that AJohnson will be available. Also either TNewman, JKennedy, or TSuggs (two of those three assuming both Palmer and Rogers get drafted).

We might be giving up too much to only get to MIN's seven pick, another spot AJohnson could fall to. I am presuming we are looking to trade up in order to get a WR."

I reposted it. It came from Mike Florio's website.

If it is strictly Smoot and the #13 pick and the Skins take Terrell Suggs I would probably do it. But if the Skins have to chip in extra high picks like a #2 and #3, I doubt that I would make the trade. I am afraid if we give up too much it is going to gut our draft. It would still make more sense to me by signing Gbaja-Biamila of the Packers and just giving them our #13 pick, without Smoot.

I might also consider DT Jimmy Kennedy.

Drafting DT DeWayne Robertson at #4 is way too high. He is a junior and never got more then 4 or 5 sacks, and hasn't even been timed in a forty yet. :doh:

Taking Andre Johnson at #4 is a BIG BIG GAMBLE, when you are giving up that much. I still have nightmares over the Desmond Howard move UP in the draft. Geez ... two #1's for Howard who was also a junior, and he bombs out on top of that. :doh:

Could the Skins be secretly after QB Byron Leftwich and also package Ramsey to the Bears? :rolleyes:

Disagree. Trading Smoot might be a good idea. For one, he is in the last year of his contract and he is going to demand top dollar because he is looking for a big pay day since he wasn't a first rounder. Smoot is a good corner, but not a great corner. Bauman or a FA could be put in his place.

It's obvious what they are doing here, they are trying to postion themselves for Andre Johnson, but if he's not there they can grab the best DT or DE (Suggs) or even trade back down.

They have a real PR nightmare if they stand pat and take Jacobs, the third WR, since he is from Florida and all the critics will start to jump on even though he might fit.

Basically they would rather get something for Smoot now, when they know, he probably won't be back after next year anyway because we are going to have to pay Champ.

Thinking down the road... When Smoot's contract runs out, not sure how much longer, he's going to want Champ Bailey type money. We'll offer less, but how much are we going to tie up in two Corner spots? Combined the Skins would probably paying more than anyone for the Corner positions. If Bauman is adequate enough with some Safety help why couldn't we do Champ/Bauman? I mean look at all the years Green had no one next to him, T. Carter, M.Mayhew, etc...

Trading him now, allows you to lock up Champ, and have an adequate starter on the other side, plus getting some good value from a former Number 2 pick.

I don't think it's a bad deal, and I wouldn't mind keeping Smoot, but I could see how we may loose him in FA in a few years.

I dont have any problem trading Smoot for a quality replacement, but when you throw in the #13 pick, and #2 and #3 draft picks -- you are essentially talking about a 4 for 1 trade.

And assuming that Andre Johnson is a player, it still may take him two years to develop. Besides Johnson still hasn't run his forty yet. :doh:

If we take Dwayne Robertson with the 4th and get rid of smoot im going to puke in a jar and send it to Dan Snyder. I will then proceed to go buy a #21 Smoot Bears uniform and raise it on a pole outside of reskin park. Just so when Robertson has a 3 sack season for his first 8 seasons Snyder remembers every second of it.

If we get a QB i swear to god too!!!!! i would be overcome with anger if we drafted leftwich with 4....not that i dont like him but we dont need him it would just be another year in the dump if we did that.

I am FIRMLY against the idea of trading Smoot... Next to Champ, we have an awesome pairing and I dont see the need of creating a hole just to fill another.

Smoot better stay or I'll be mighty pissed. A second round bargain much like Jansen was. KEEP SMOOT!

Archived