Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tom Coughlin fired in Jacksonville!

Nighthawk

I would be grateful if the Jags hire Lewis. It will allow us to end the merry go round early and make firm plans for next season NOW, instead of having to wait until February :)

Dennis Green I think is getting hosed by all these teams with openings. Because of the league rule about interviewing minority coaches, Green is being seen by everyone from Dallas to Cincinnati, yet neither teams appears really interested in him.

This rule from the league is turning into a sham.

Jones visits with Parcells for 11 hours over 2 days and then is forced to interview Green to check a box on a piece of paper from the league office?

What a joke.

We have to get more minority coaches hired, I don't think this rule is going to turn out to be the way to get it done :(

Coughlin to me would seem like the ideal candidate. he built a winning program in Jacksonville before the cap hit his team. he is a disciplinarian which Jones seems to prefer with the players.

and he is probably willing to live with Jones making a lot of the final calls on personnel.

and in terms of cost he is going to come a lot cheaper than Parcells or Dennis Green.

That rediculous "You must interview a minority" rule is going to lead to even MORE outrage when they get all these interviews and don't necessarily get any more hirings. It absolutely is a sham and I can't believe the league went with it.

Originally posted by Brave

That rediculous "You must interview a minority" rule is going to lead to even MORE outrage when they get all these interviews and don't necessarily get any more hirings. It absolutely is a sham and I can't believe the league went with it.

It's really a disservice to everyone actually involved, if you think through the process.

Let's say you're Jerry Jones and Denny Green. Jones figured out in mid-season that his dream coach was Parcells. (This sort of thing happens all the time: Snyder's dream coach was Spurrier for years.) So now Jones has to go interview Green, which wastes both their time, forces Jones to be a complete hypocrite by pretending to be seriously interested in Green, and forces Green to go through the emotional upheaval of evaluating the Cowboy situation and making his best pitch for the job. Alternatively, Jones could do the honest thing and phone up Green, saying, "Denny, you're a great coach and probably #3 on my list. But let's not waste both our time with a long interview until my top two guys have had a chance to decline the job." Then Jones has to wait until this tidbit is leaked in the press and he gets slammed for thumbing his nose at the serious matter of seriously evaluating minority head coach candidates.

I'm not a big Marvin Lewis fan, but I feel bad for him that he's going to have to run all over the country after jobs he never has a chance of getting. Even worse, this will detract from his focus and emotional appeal for jobs that he *does* have a chance of getting. You think Lewis had a chip on his shoulder before? He may find himself wandering into a head-coaching candidacy situation where he has a serious chance, but assumes he doesn't, undercutting his candidacy by injecting a note of suspicion and caginess to the proceedings.

Guys like Denny Green deserve head coaching jobs, and they'll get them. But they won't get them because of this rule.

Archived