Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2005 Redskins a success!!!!!!

Walking Deadman

Before I start, I want to say that I believe that we will beat the Eagles on Sunday and at least earn a Wild Card.......but, just looking at 15 games I want to say that the 2005 season has proven to me that the franchise since Gibbs has come back is succeeding and will succeed in the near future.

Why????

1. The team has bought into Joe Gibbs way of life (football):

Gibbs style is not just a "system" but much like what other successful teams like the Patriots have instilled. It's a way of life.

Responsibility, Being unselfish, toughness and being a team and not an individual is what makes up Coach Gibbs and his team.

THis squad appears to follow those ideas.

Note how Portis and Taylor and others on this team have become leaders.

How Jimoh and Prioleau and other "no-names" like Clemons etc. have stepped up and have gone from being (fan: oh no...XXXXX is in the game, crap!!!) to a contributer.

It is a team effort and guys have bought into what Coach is doing and know that they play a role and don't have to do everything theirselves in order to win or be successful.

2. Draft/FA pick ups.

Who thinks we should have drafted Winslow now?????

Who thinks that it was a mistake to move up to get Cooley???

Who thinks that it was a mistake to pick up FA's like Washington, Griffin, Springs, Harris, Thrash (we traded for him back), Salave'a and Brunell????

Who thinks it was still a mistake to get rid of Gardner and McCants????

Who thinks we made a mistake trading Portis for Bailey/Bell (2nd rounder)??

Who thinks we should have kept Coles and not traded for Moss???

Yeah, there have been a couple of so-so pick ups (Barrow, Patten), but they were more injury related than performance.

Some of the lower round draft picks have been failures and losing Pierce to the Giants was bad ( but in my op. still not worth what we would have had to pay to keep him, sorry AP).

But overall good job with keeping good talent on the roster and having depth (Ray Brown, secondary, Warrick Holdman as examples) when we have injuries.

3. The fans are back:

Has FedEx ever been more loud the past 2 weeks??? Other than the sad Raiders game, this has been a great year to attend Redskins games. FedEx is now a true football stadium. The fans (much like the players) have bought into the idea of what Gibbs (Redskins Football) is all about and it seems that we (fans and players and coaches) feed off each other at home.

6-2 this year.....6-0 vs the NFC. What a great season at home.

4. We can compete with our Divisonal Rivals:

I thought if we could go 3-3 with the NFCE we'd be doing great. We are so far (with 1 NFCE game left) 4-1. Yes, 4-1.....impressed right? You should be.

Last year we were 1-5. If we can stand against the current Dallas, Giants and Eagles (with healthy Westbrook and Mcnabb) then I think we can play any NFL team and have a shot at winning. Yes, I do believe that the NFCE is that good.

This is just a few......what I see in the future is that FA/Draftees will want to play here not for the $$$$ but to win. And coaches will want to stay (Gregg Williams) b/c of what this team is to the community and what he can do as a Redskins coach will be much more important than anywhere else.

BTW: we are 9-6 right now (Finally a winning season YAY!!!!) in Year 2 of 5 in Joe Gibbs 2.......2006 and 2007 will be years that we (barring injury or too much cap ramifications) will bring significant rewards if we can just stick to the plan.

So, enjoy this win everybody and enjoy this season, hopefully this is just the true start of something great happening :cheers:

Before I start, I want to say that I believe that we will beat the Eagles on Sunday and at least earn a Wild Card.......but, just looking at 15 games I want to say that the 2005 season has proven to me that the franchise since Gibbs has come back is succeeding and will succeed in the near future.

Why????

1. The team has bought into Joe Gibbs way of life (football):

Gibbs style is not just a "system" but much like what other successful teams like the Patriots have instilled. It's a way of life.

Responsibility, Being unselfish, toughness and being a team and not an individual is what makes up Coach Gibbs and his team.

THis squad appears to follow those ideas.

Note how Portis and Taylor and others on this team have become leaders.

How Jimoh and Prioleau and other "no-names" like Clemons etc. have stepped up and have gone from being (fan: oh no...XXXXX is in the game, crap!!!) to a contributer.

It is a team effort and guys have bought into what Coach is doing and know that they play a role and don't have to do everything theirselves in order to win or be successful.

2. Draft/FA pick ups.

Who thinks we should have drafted Winslow now?????

Who thinks that it was a mistake to move up to get Cooley???

Who thinks that it was a mistake to pick up FA's like Washington, Griffin, Springs, Harris, Thrash (we traded for him back), Salave'a and Brunell????

Who thinks it was still a mistake to get rid of Gardner and McCants????

Who thinks we made a mistake trading Portis for Bailey/Bell (2nd rounder)??

Who thinks we should have kept Coles and not traded for Moss???

Yeah, there have been a couple of so-so pick ups (Barrow, Patten), but they were more injury related than performance.

Some of the lower round draft picks have been failures and losing Pierce to the Giants was bad ( but in my op. still not worth what we would have had to pay to keep him, sorry AP).

But overall good job with keeping good talent on the roster and having depth (Ray Brown, secondary, Warrick Holdman as examples) when we have injuries.

3. The fans are back:

Has FedEx ever been more loud the past 2 weeks??? Other than the sad Raiders game, this has been a great year to attend Redskins games. FedEx is now a true football stadium. The fans (much like the players) have bought into the idea of what Gibbs (Redskins Football) is all about and it seems that we (fans and players and coaches) feed off each other at home.

6-2 this year.....6-0 vs the NFC. What a great season at home.

4. We can compete with our Divisonal Rivals:

I thought if we could go 3-3 with the NFCE we'd be doing great. We are so far (with 1 NFCE game left) 4-1. Yes, 4-1.....impressed right? You should be.

Last year we were 1-5. If we can stand against the current Dallas, Giants and Eagles (with healthy Westbrook and Mcnabb) then I think we can play any NFL team and have a shot at winning. Yes, I do believe that the NFCE is that good.

This is just a few......what I see in the future is that FA/Draftees will want to play here not for the $$$$ but to win. And coaches will want to stay (Gregg Williams) b/c of what this team is to the community and what he can do as a Redskins coach will be much more important than anywhere else.

BTW: we are 9-6 right now (Finally a winning season YAY!!!!) in Year 2 of 5 in Joe Gibbs 2.......2006 and 2007 will be years that we (barring injury or too much cap ramifications) will bring significant rewards if we can just stick to the plan.

So, enjoy this win everybody and enjoy this season, hopefully this is just the true start of something great happening :cheers:

Good post, I agree with everything you said. When Gibbs came back and made some of the "questionable" moves, the media make him look like some senile old idiot from a different era that didnt know how to coach football anymore. I mean, he DID just get rid of Coles for Moss right? What an idiot!

The last move of Gibbs we have yet to prove as great was the trade up for Campbell. If Ramsey does well, he may be farther away from a start but still.

Good post, I agree with everything you said. When Gibbs came back and made some of the "questionable" moves, the media make him look like some senile old idiot from a different era that didnt know how to coach football anymore. I mean, he DID just get rid of Coles for Moss right? What an idiot!

The last move of Gibbs we have yet to prove as great was the trade up for Campbell. If Ramsey does well, he may be farther away from a start but still.

Campbell is the ??? so far, but Ramsey looked good today....I think we'll have an answer on that one by 2007, my guess PR gets traded or becomes a FA (I like Ramsey but I don't think he stays a Redskin :( ).

Rogers (when healthy) was a clear cut good pick this year ......yeah you can argue the "We should have kept Smoot" deal, but if/when healthy Rogers has really complimented Spings at CB in both run and pass situations.

Oh yeah, one more thing.

Portis, Moss and Cooley on pace to break (or already broken) team records, not too bad if you ask me.

Yes, they are "core" Redskins in my book.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

More reasons to be proud of this team:

Portis and Moss broke the records.

vs NFC (inc. playoffs so far.... :) ) 11-2

vs NFCE (5-1)

Road (inc. playoffs so far) 5-4

Home: 6-2

Oh and remember when Denver fans were talking about Drafting Leinhart by using the Redskins 1st rounder in the 2006 draft (we gave up for Campbell last year)? Well, the way it's going we'll be lower in the first round than Denver was last year(24th).

Great season and hopefully Seattle will be NEXT and then either Chicago or Carolina.

HTTR :point2sky

Huge success for a 4-12, Bottom of the East, predicted team..

Agreed....I held onto my copies of ProFootball Weekly's 2005 Review as well as Street and Smith and Athelon just to compare where they had us and the rest of the NFL to what really happened.

I think most of them didn't have either the Skins (most picked 6-10) and the Bears to do anything.......

Oh and remember when Denver fans were talking about Drafting Leinhart by using the Redskins 1st rounder in the 2006 draft (we gave up for Campbell last year)? Well, the way it's going we'll be lower in the first round than Denver was last year(24th).

Well, the Jason Campbell acquisition can now go into the books as a shrewd move by Gibbs (brilliance will be reserved until we see Jason's performance). The 2006 draft order (HERE has the Denver pick no better than 25....works for me.

I wanted to BUMP this again.......while I have faith in our team and feel that they have a excellent chance of beating the Seahawks.

I want anybody here who wants to complain about the coaches, players or franchise this year to READ the posts on this thread.

In my op., based on what I know, we are ahead of schedule in getting back to the SB and that this year has been a complete success.

While it couldn't be better to see us win the Superbowl (yes, I think it is possible to play ANY of the 7 other teams in the SB and have our team win it right now, possibly even the Colts).....we went from 5-6 to the playoffs, and the rest now is just the icing on the cake so to speak.

It's been a great year fellas thank you.

Just too many injuries, a lack of a #2 WR, lack of a real strong pass rush and playing away each week is just too much.

Thanks again coach and team for playing so well and I really feel that the 2006 Redskins will be even better than the 2005 squad.

I'm sure, ESPN, SI and the Washington Post will be there to rub salt into the wounds....but screw you. We proved you all wrong.

And we'll do it again next year.......

Next year the Giants won't be getting an extra home game so the NFCE will again be up for grabs.

It's been a great year fellas thank you.

Just too many injuries, a lack of a #2 WR, lack of a real strong pass rush and playing away each week is just too much.

Thanks again coach and team for playing so well and I really feel that the 2006 Redskins will be even better than the 2005 squad.

I'm sure, ESPN, SI and the Washington Post will be there to rub salt into the wounds....but screw you. We proved you all wrong.

And we'll do it again next year.......

Next year the Giants won't be getting an extra home game so the NFCE will again be up for grabs.

agreed :cheers:

Archived