Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another School Shooting

NASMTrainer

RED LAKE, Minn.(AP) Gunfire broke out at a Minnesota high school Monday, killing an undetermined number of people and injuring as many as 14 others, authorities said.

Tom Lyons, chief deputy for Beltrami County, said up to 14 people were injured in the mid-afternoon shooting at Red Lake High School in far northern Minnesota. Lyons said a suspect was in custody, but he had no other details.

The FBI did not say how many people had been killed and also declined to release details.

Students and a teacher at the scene, Diane Schwanz, identified a male student as the gunman. Schwanz said the shooter tried to break down a door to get into a room where some students were.

"I just got on the floor and called the cops," Schwanz told the Bemidji Pioneer. "I was still just half-believing it."

Red Lake High School, on the Red Lake Indian Reservation, has about 300 students, according to its Web site.

Audrey Thayer, who lives in Bemidji and works as a researcher for the American Civil Liberties Union's Minnesota chapter, said the reservation was locked down by police with roadblocks.

"They have got it closed off," she said.

The reservation is about 240 miles north of the Twin Cities. It is home to the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians.

http://www.rr.com/flash/index.cfm

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/21/school.shooting/index.html

And he killed his grandparents:

Officials: Student kills 5 at school and grandparents

Shooter also believed dead at Minnesota high school

Monday, March 21, 2005 Posted: 7:56 PM EST (0056 GMT)

FBI special agent Paul McCabe answers reporters' questions about Monday's school shooting.

(CNN) -- A student on Monday killed two of his grandparents, then went on a shooting rampage at his Minnesota high school, killing five people and wounding as many as 15 others before killing himself, officials said.

FBI Special Agent Paul McCabe told reporters the dead include a female teacher, a male security officer and four Red Lake High School students.

"We believe that one of those students is the shooter," McCabe said.

The school was evacuated and locked down, he said.

"At this time, we believe he was acting alone," McCabe said. He would not comment on a possible motive, saying, "It's far too early in the investigation."

The slain students were shot in one room, he said, adding that 14 to 15 other students were wounded.

"Apparently, he walked down the hallway shooting and then he entered a classroom, he shot several students and a teacher, then himself," said Roman Stately, with the Red Lake Fire Department, who arrived at the high school moments after the shootings.

Authorities discovered about an hour later that the boy had shot and killed his grandmother and grandfather, a veteran of the police force, Stately told KARE-TV.

Stately said the boy used his grandfather's police-issued weapon in the school rampage.

The shootings occurred about 3 p.m. (4 p.m. ET), in Red Lake High School, a school of 300 student that is on a sovereign Indian reservation within Beltrami County, about 25 miles north of Bemidji, a town of about 25,000 residents, many of them Ojibway Indians, he said.

The school is about 240 miles north of the Twin Cities, near the Canadian border.

So much violence.

Blondie

People have often tried to attribute this kind of act to bullying or the like, but when you research the cases(and talk to qualified people) what is revealed is that this is but a new way for our resident psychopaths to inflict great death all at once.

Eric Harris was a psychopath, he wasn't mad at being mocked or bullied, he had a contempt for all humans and did not have an ounce of compassion.

Kip Kinkel was also psychopathic.

I have no idea about this guy, but I hardly believe that FIFTY people wronged him in any substantive way(and not his grandparents too.)

We're going to have to start asking the tough questions of ourselves and start looking at our children to see when or if the dark side has taken hold of their thinking and perspective. If so, we must act swiftly to remedy it as best we can, but remember that some CANNOT be helped.

I wonder if centuries before that some men would poison wells or become bandits to exact some form of revenge on 'society' or 'humanity.'

this is sad, i wonder why there arent more articles about it yet. This is just as bad as Columbine and other shootings. Something really needs to be done about the state of these kids, but I cannot figure out what.

Archived