Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Medical Advice Thread

Forehead

Didn't we used to have one of these, a general thread for medical advice? I didn't find anything under search and the "similar threads" were all for personal issues.

If not, I suppose this can be used as a general medical advice thread, so I'll get things rolling with my reason for starting this in the first place. Warning, maybe don't read this if you've just eaten...it isn't awful, but you know, sort of descriptive.

I have an ongoing ingrown toenail that someone on ES is directly responsible for, though I shall not indict this person by name. I'm sure you're wondering, and the answer is, my foot was stomped on during drunken tailgating festivities, causing the original nail to fall off and then this ingrown version to replace it. Hell, maybe it isn't their fault, but I like making people feel guilty.

Anyway, I've been dealing with this for awhile. Originally, I would just have a few drinks, dig the nail out from under the skin, and trim it. Then it got a little worse (or I let the maintenance slip) and I turned to that ingrown toenail cream that softens the nail and the skin. That worked for awhile, I was able to keep it trimmed, but I detest the smell of the cream (sulfer is an active ingredient). Anyway, after doing this for awhile, I let things slip again, and now the nail has grown far enough into my tow that I can't get all of it out. I can easily trim the rest of the nail, but the part that has grown in is too far in to get out regardless of how much of the cream I use.

If I soak my foot for awhile, will that work? Is there another way to get rid of this thing besides paying a foot surgeon more money than I'd like to remove it?

Thanks

soaking it in epson salt and hot water will help soften it, you can add vinegar if you don't mind the smell

a toe sock and virgin olive oil will also help

a podiatrist would be best

i assume this is what you are using?

http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/products/IngrownToenailPainReliever.jspa?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ingrown%20toenail&utm_campaign=Condition+7%2F10&utm_content=p1dcEX9bi|pcrid|1319196717

ya got a dremel tool?

lightly grinding with olive oil and it is easier to extract, buff the offending edge down enough and it will come out with light pressure

or there is always the stiff drink and a pair of pliers

Archived