Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dominion Power Line through VA... Louden, Prince William, etc

More Complete

Sorry if this has been posted before. I did a search and didn't see anything.

I'm normally all for progress and building bigger better stuff but this power line is going to go be humming in my back yard, bringing down my property value and screwing up my view. On top of that, it doesn't benefit me at all as it only helps power hungry Northern Virginians! (I live further west):silly: It will be an eye sore on what is currently a beautiful stretch of 66 and the motives for building it are fairly suspect.

A friend of mine told me that the proposed power line will also remove his father's house in The Plains by way of imminent domain. He just built the place last year and was planning on retiring there. He is just one of many who will have no choice but to pick up and move for the line to be built. Not to mention the farms that will also disappear.

Resources at Risk:

The revised Dominion study area encompasses 231,700 acres, including:

83 miles of Scenic Byway

13 miles of the Appalachian Trail, and 72,734 acres visible from the Appalachian Trail

7 major Civil War Battlefields: Aldie, Cedar Creek, Front Royal, Manassas Gap, Middleburg, Thoroughfare Gap, and Upperville. Several are described as the most pristine in the U.S.

17 Historic Sites on the Virginia and National Registers, one of which is a National Historic Landmark

6 Existing Historic Districts covering 13,990 Acres

11 Proposed Historic Districts covering 15,950 Acres

48,000 Acres of Conservation Easements

I say they build it underground or just build another station IN Northern Virginia to take care of the rising demands on the power grid instead of bringing the power all the way across the state. Of course, both options are more expensive and less desirable for those building it.

Anyway, if you don't care or you're for it, you don't care or you're for it but if not there is a petition online available for signing.

Latest news:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/13/AR2006121300029.html

http://washingtontimes.com/business/20061208-095813-8430r.htm

Site opposing the line with lots of info:

http://pecva.org/landuse/energy/powerlines/index.php

Petition:

http://citizen-networks.org/campaign/powerlinepetition

The pictures I've attached are of balloons off 66 showing the height and location of where the lines would be. If you've traveled west on 66 the last week you've seen them.

Thanks,

More Complete

Anyway, if you don't care or you're for it, you don't care or you're for it but if not there is a petition online available for signing.

I have no clue what you are trying to say in that line. Regardless I signed the petition. That is an absolutely beautiful portion of our region, what a shame if they get away with it.

Near my property in Highland county they have been fighting against windmills and the governer overrode everyone so they are going in. Total crock of ****, more money in someone elses pockets and its going to ruin some of the unscathed, clean, and of course beautiful mountain ranges we have.

I have no clue what you are trying to say in that line. Regardless I signed the petition. That is an absolutely beautiful portion of our region, what a shame if they get away with it.

Some people DON'T care! Some people are FOR it! :laugh:

If you're one of those people, move along. If not, sign the petition. I guess I was just trying to say "I'm not trying to start a big debate here" in so many words. :(

Near my property in Highland county they have been fighting against windmills and the governer overrode everyone so they are going in. Total crock of ****, more money in someone elses pockets and its going to ruin some of the unscathed, clean, and of course beautiful mountain ranges we have.

NIMBY

Be thankful they WANT to install clean, no exhaust windmills instead of an incenerator to generate energy.

Dominion power owned the railroad tracks, which they converted (at their own cost) to longest park in the US (the bike trail). When they did it, they were upfront and honest with the state, county and local govts about their intent to eventually put the lines down the trail. The agreement was reached decades ago to allow them to put them up in a different area (the ones you mention) in exchange for them doing all of the work, maintenance etc on the trail. Otherwise they were simply going to put them on their own land.

Those plans have been in palce for literally decades, so while Im sure it's an inconvenience for you personally, you could have (and frankly your title insurance should have found) known about this before you bought.

FWIW, less thana decade ago, Dominion offered to put all of their lines underground if the state would approve the necessary raise in electricy bills to cover it. The state refused.

Im a vehement opponent of the application of imminent domain statues, this isnt one of those cases however.

Those plans have been in palce for literally decades, so while Im sure it's an inconvenience for you personally, you could have (and frankly your title insurance should have found) known about this before you bought.

Not really. The plans have changed and the routes have changed a number of times due to opposition in the last year. Moving it away from other locations into my back yard. No one could have predicted such changes.

You gotta link to back this up? I've never heard about it and have lived in VA my whole life. What bike trail are you refering to? W&OD?

Not really. The plans have changed and the routes have changed a number of times due to opposition in the last year. Moving it away from other locations into my back yard. No one could have predicted such changes.

You gotta link to back this up? I've never heard about it and have lived in VA my whole life. What bike trail are you refering to? W&OD?

No, I grew up in Leesburg and my dad's firm has been involved with some of the land use issues for decades. There was a big stink about it back in the early to mid 80s when the trail was completed, I'll see if the Times Mirror archives has anything.

Would yoiu pay double your bill to have it underground?

It sucks that it ends up in your yard, but it has to go somewhere.

Again, I do not benefit from these power lines, NOVA does. I don't even get my power from Dominion. You're right, it has to go somewhere. Or does it? Running over peoples houses and farms somehow doesn't seem like the best option but that's just me.

Again, I do not benefit from these power lines, NOVA does. I don't even get my power from Dominion. You're right, it has to go somewhere. Or does it? Running over peoples houses and farms somehow doesn't seem like the best option but that's just me.

I think you're correct, it's not the best option, just the cheapest.

So where do you want them to get/deliver energy from? someone elses backyard?

What type of land was cleared for your home? For the roads to get to your home?

Expand the existing power lines throughout the county. Those lines are already going through our property. We cleared no land on the property for the cabin and even though power lines are literally 500 yards away we can't even get electricity without paying 20k, which isn't really a complaint.

As far as my home in NoVA...in 1964 when it was built I'm sure there were trees in place of it. There's nothing I can do about that and do you really expect myself and everyone else to live in treehouses in order to protect the land? I am saying, at this point in time, when we are running out of beautiful natural resources to stop building. Enough is enough, stop putting in ****ty houses so close to each other you can touch your neighbors home from your window.

My anger is soley based on what they are doing in Highland county and not what they are doing here.

I am saying, at this point in time, when we are running out of beautiful natural resources to stop building. Enough is enough, stop putting in ****ty houses so close to each other you can touch your neighbors home from your window.

My anger is soley based on what they are doing in Highland county and not what they are doing here.

I agree with the stop building comment 100%. Look at what has become of Montgomery County. Sadly, the elected officials don't have the backbone to stand-up to the developers and people continue to want 6 bedroom houses for a family of 3.

While the windmills may be an eyesore, they do have the benefit of not emitting polution. So that does help conserve natural resourses in some regards. And at least that way, you know they won't build yet another house on that land :)

Yeah I agree its one way or another. Its pollution from the coal plants or risk endangered species by clearing land and constructing huge windmills. My ex-girlfriend works for Department of Conservation and Recreation and would come home so mad after reviewing the projects.

What can you do. I'm just one person trying to keep the growing world smaller :D

Attempting to put 40 miles of transmission lines underground would be exhorbitantly expensive. Prohibitively expensive. It would also not be as ecologically friendly as you might think. You think those towers are ugly, expensive, and inconvenient.... the towers are spotted up to and in some cases over 1000 feet apart. Underground pulling stations would have to be located every 600-700 feet and would likely cost even more than the towers do, each. Underground electrical facilites of that voltage are generally required by law to be contained inside a fenced area for safety. That's an additional cost.

Most transmission ROW's (right of ways) are actually good for the environment. Numerous species of plants and animals thrive in electrical transmission ROW's. Unfortunately, if the lines are run underground, many of those environmental benefits are not seen due to the way the underground conduits have to be constructed. Additionally, the hiking/biking/atv trails that many utilities allow in their ROW's cannot be allowed if the lines are run underground.

The alternative option to a project like this is to build new electrical generation facilities in the local area. That generally leads to a NIMBY scenario.

Just some things to think about.

Most transmission ROW's (right of ways) are actually good for the environment. Numerous species of plants and animals thrive in electrical transmission ROW's. Unfortunately, if the lines are run underground, many of those environmental benefits are not seen due to the way the underground conduits have to be constructed. Additionally, the hiking/biking/atv trails that many utilities allow in their ROW's cannot be allowed if the lines are run underground.

The alternative option to a project like this is to build new electrical generation facilities in the local area. That generally leads to a NIMBY scenario.

Just some things to think about.

While I agree it wouldn't be terrible for the animals, I think they are doing just fine without them. As are the farmers and people who would have to move. There are currently plenty of hiking/biking/atv trails available so I don't really see that as a plus. In my experience the power company doesn't want anyone around the lines anyway, it's normally off limit and tickets are issued for trespassing.

The NIMBY scenario is already happening. Personally, I don't think it's fair to burden people in the rural areas to server power to those in the metro area. I moved away from NoVA to avoid this kind of thing. A new power plant in NoVA is fine with me. Keep it local. Why tear up miles and miles of rolling well preserved countryside to serve the growing urban sprawl? They can keep their power problems "in house" as far as I'm concerned.

While I agree it wouldn't be terrible for the animals, I think they are doing just fine without them. As are the farmers and people who would have to move. There are currently plenty of hiking/biking/atv trails available so I don't really see that as a plus. In my experience the power company doesn't want anyone around the lines anyway, it's normally off limit and tickets are issued for trespassing.

That's interesting. I work for the third largest utility company in the United States and almost all of our overhead transmission lines are accessible (within limits) to the public as hiking/horseback riding/atv trails. Maybe the companies down there are more strict about it, or something.

The NIMBY scenario is already happening. Personally, I don't think it's fair to burden people in the rural areas to server power to those in the metro area. I moved away from NoVA to avoid this kind of thing. A new power plant in NoVA is fine with me. Keep it local. Why tear up miles and miles of rolling well preserved countryside to serve the growing urban sprawl? They can keep their power problems "in house" as far as I'm concerned.

The problem is that with the current federal and state regulations, building any sort of electrical generation facility in an already well-developed community is almost impossible. Between finding enough land, a reasonable site, abutter restrictions, environmental conditions, etc... it's pretty much impossible to site a generating plant in a city of any size (50K+). That means the more rural areas are going to be tapped for these facilities, when the government will allow them to be built at all (see: California).

There are a lot of factors that go into the construction and design of the electrical system that you'd never even know about. Hell, I didn't know about them either until I started working at the electric company almost six years ago. There's a lot more that goes into that lightbulb illuminating when you flip the switch than you'll ever know.

That's interesting. I work for the third largest utility company in the United States and almost all of our overhead transmission lines are accessible (within limits) to the public as hiking/horseback riding/atv trails. Maybe the companies down there are more strict about it, or something.

I don't know if it's state wide but I remember getting in trouble as a kid in NoVA for riding my bike on the power lines.

The problem is that with the current federal and state regulations, building any sort of electrical generation facility in an already well-developed community is almost impossible. Between finding enough land, a reasonable site, abutter restrictions, environmental conditions, etc... it's pretty much impossible to site a generating plant in a city of any size (50K+). That means the more rural areas are going to be tapped for these facilities, when the government will allow them to be built at all (see: California).

There are a lot of factors that go into the construction and design of the electrical system that you'd never even know about. Hell, I didn't know about them either until I started working at the electric company almost six years ago. There's a lot more that goes into that lightbulb illuminating when you flip the switch than you'll ever know.

Good points. I'm sure I wouldn't care if I lived in the metro area. In fact, I might be all for it in that case. Progress right? More power for me! Who cares about those farms/people to the west? It's just when it directly impacts you and/or your home that it becomes an issue. I'm sure despite federal regulations that Northern Virginians would NEVER allow a power plant anywhere near their homes. They'd much prefer to put it somewhere else where they don't have to deal with it. It's all a matter of perspective I guess. From where I'm sitting, it doesn't look like a good idea, but I don't blame anyone who thinks it is.

Archived