Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A passing first offense????

WVSkinsfan

You guys know more about this than I do but when I went fishing saturday I was almost positive that we would draft a tall WR with our first pick.When I came home and seen we drafted a tall WR in Thomas then a TE in Davis and another tall WR in Kelly I really did'nt know what to think.Why would we draft another TE when we already have Cooley?? are we going to play more with two TE sets.If not then were will this kid play b/c I would'nt think we would be stupid enough trading Cooley away.

With the first three picks we drafted two WR's and one TE I can't help but wonder are we going to be more of a passing team than a running team??Don't get me wrong im glad we now have some tall WR's and another TE but it is still confusing to me why we drafted another tall WR and a TE if we are'nt going to be more of a passing team.

The WCO is a passing offense that sets up the run..

We drafted 2 tall WR because at the time we only have short WR and in the WCO it is nice to have some tall WR.. also with these picks we have depth at WR which is something we really didn't have as Randel El and Moss get nicked up. Also last year we couldn't score in the redzone so big WR are good for us to improve that area.

The TE is drafted for the fact that the WCO have alot of 2 tight end formations.

Also we needed depth at TE because and may this never happen what would we do if Cooley got hurt we would be in trouble Yoder and Ecker are not Offensive threats and we would loose offense in a position that is important in the WCO so we got much needed depth.

WE Improved our biggest weakness from last year which is Redzone scoring and made it a positive with 3 big offensive weapons.. We Also added Players that can go across the middle, Leap, Jump for the ball, and run with the ball after the catch so in other words big play Players.. In all our offense should be fun to watch next year as it is going to be dymanic..

With all of our passing options:

Moss, Randel EL, Thomas, Kelly, Mix, Cooley, Davis. Our running backs Portis and Betts should have the space to run and maybe have their best years as redskins players.

The WCO is a passing offense that sets up the run..

We drafted 2 tall WR because at the time we only have short WR and in the WCO it is nice to have some tall WR.. also with these picks we have depth at WR which is something we really didn't have as Randel El and Moss get nicked up. Also last year we couldn't score in the redzone so big WR are good for us to improve that area.

The TE is drafted for the fact that the WCO have alot of 2 tight end formations.

Also we needed depth at TE because and may this never happen what would we do if Cooley got hurt we would be in trouble Yoder and Ecker are not Offensive threats and we would loose offense in a position that is important in the WCO so we got much needed depth.

WE Improved our biggest weakness from last year which is Redzone scoring and made it a positive with 3 big offensive weapons.. We Also added Players that can go across the middle, Leap, Jump for the ball, and run with the ball after the catch so in other words big play Players.. In all our offense should be fun to watch next year as it is going to be dymanic..

With all of our passing options:

Moss, Randel EL, Thomas, Kelly, Mix, Cooley, Davis. Our running backs Portis and Betts should have the space to run and maybe have their best years as redskins players.

Thanks alot man for the great info!! It helped me look at this offense a little bit better.

BALANCE - the key to any successful offense in the NFL. Zorn will emphasize passing more than under Gibbs, which will also open up the holes for Portis.

I fully expect our offense (provided we stay healthy...knock on wood) to rank in the top 10 and close to top 5, and more importantly have a top 5 scoring offense, something we haven't had in a long time. Only 2 out of the last 16 years have we had a top 10 offense (1999 with 2nd in pts and yards, 1996 with 8th in points and 9th in yards).

could you imagine having a passing attack that let's clinton portis and our o-line take a backseat??? man, i'm so excited for camp to start.

Tell me about it bro lol I never did like the WCO but from what ikm hearing so far it could be a interesting season.

Shaun Alexander set the seahawks rushing record in the WCO, Portis already set that record in a run first offense, just imagine what kind of #'s he'll put up now.

Get ready for the boom.

I really feel Portis and Campbell will benefit most from Zorn's scheme.

Portis will have over 15 TDs and close to 2,000 yds from scrimmage. He did finish 3rd in the NFL last year still recovering from injury and behind an O-line starting 2 guys for the first time at those positions (Heyer rookie at tackle, and Fabini who was a career tackle at guard).

Shaun Alexander set the seahawks rushing record in the WCO, Portis already set that record in a run first offense, just imagine what kind of #'s he'll put up now.

Get ready for the boom.

Not to be negative or anything, but didn't we say the same thing when we first heard about Al Saunders 700 page playbook and first got Moss, Randle El and Lloyd as our receivers? Didn't we all say Portis would have like 2500 rushing yards then too? :P

As the above have posted, balance is correct. That's what we'll strive for. Seattle turned into a pass-first, pass-always offense after Alexander proved he just couldn't get the job done. Instead of continuing to hammer their heads toward a concrete wall, they tweaked the offensive philosophy.

But getting to Zorn, he has stated that he envisions us being more of a running team as we get the passing game down.

We have the personnel to beat a team any way we want. I just hope we can install the offense ASAP so we can start strong this season.

I must say on paper this offense is going to look lethal. Lets just hope we can get a good chemistry with everyone, get everyone on the same page. If we can establish a decent passing game, I feel Portis is going to explode this year. Really hope the growing pains come and go.

The first three picks really show you what this team needed. I mean we didn't have a touchdown pass till after the halfway mark last year. Not having any real threat at receiver killed us last year, and Portis. Hopefully this run offense will be one of those less is more scenarios.

:helmet:

I really feel Portis and Campbell will benefit most from Zorn's scheme.

Portis will have over 15 TDs and close to 2,000 yds from scrimmage. He did finish 3rd in the NFL last year still recovering from injury and behind an O-line starting 2 guys for the first time at those positions (Heyer rookie at tackle, and Fabini who was a career tackle at guard).

Campbell should really benefit from all the weapons we have given him also with Zorn's scheme he should be pressured less as the WCO is normally a 3-step offense and get rid off the ball type offense where Saunders was a 5 so pressure should be lessened, if Campbell can learn the offense by heart to know where the WR are going and breaking.

If Campbell does not have a good year or some what improve it might be time to find another QB as this offense has proven to quite the successful offensive scheme. Especially with all the weapons he will have at his disposal.

Not to be negative or anything, but didn't we say the same thing when we first heard about Al Saunders 700 page playbook and first got Moss, Randle El and Lloyd as our receivers? Didn't we all say Portis would have like 2500 rushing yards then too? :P

Look at the players we have now though. Portis will shine. Plus that 700 page playbook was crap. Time to unleash the beast.

remember Portis in Denver, expect those kinds of #'s this season.

The Saunders regime never had balance and we also had some stupid play calling in certain situations( the NYG game where we ran 4 times in the redzone and failed) I honesty think if in that spot Zorn will give the ball to Portis once and then put the game on shoulder of Campbell, which it should be when the game is on the line the QB should have it. If he doesn't or can't handle that responsibly he shouldn't be a QB.

Also we have better WR Depth and We have a healthy o-line the offense should be a better.

Yeah, I had huge expectations under Saunders. Still believe that we never saw the full potential of his offense. His track record was spotless with the number one offense (better than the Colts and other high-flying offenses) in almost all relevant categories with Chiefs, who didn't necessarily even have that high talent at key positions (Green wasn't an all-pro till Saunders, little to speak of at WRs, undrafted guys like Priest Holmes tearing up the league).

Wanted to give Saunders one more shot this year with him having true full control of his offense without Gibbs' suggestions or philosophy and having more trust in JC to run the offense.

However, our personnel really seem to suit the WCO better. Zorn is enthusiastic to implement the system and they have good guys in place. The offseason is the time for high expectations. If you don't expect the team to make the playoffs, then you have little to look forward to.

Now with this pass first offense im hoping now that Portis will put up bigger and better numbers and play like he used to.I could be wrong but im thinking Portis won't be hit as much and won't have those injurys that last all season long like years past.Im looking for him and Betts to really shine this year.

Now with this pass first offense im hoping now that Portis will put up bigger and better numbers and play like he used to.I could be wrong but im thinking Portis won't be hit as much and won't have those injurys that last all season long like years past.Im looking for him and Betts to really shine this year.

You right Portis should be hit less as he will have more space to run as teams will have to match up with our 3,4, and 5 wide out sets along with 2 TE sets.

So Portis will get to run against alot of nickel defenses to matchup with our WR.

Also he won't have to pound it every play and run up the middle he should get alot more 20+ runs. I just hope this offense get implemented quickly and the players understand it to the fullest and perform like they supposed to and then the redskins offense can actually carry this team for once as i don't know if the defense will be as good as it was last year but next year draft is supposed to be a awesome defense draft so we can address those problems next year.

clinton will prosper most out of this system. hes going to explode this year, best of his career.

I really hope so. People forget that he was the Adrian Peterson before Adrian Peterson putting up some of the best numbers in NFL history his first 2 years. Still has kept pretty well in already surpassing HOF'ers in TDs, despite only being 26.

I really hope so. People forget that he was the Adrian Peterson before Adrian Peterson putting up some of the best numbers in NFL history his first 2 years. Still has kept pretty well in already surpassing HOF'ers in TDs, despite only being 26.

the fact that clinton has done as well as he has with us is a tribute to his will and determenation. He has faced 8 or more in the box the whole time he's been here, and still had career years. the WCO will give his body a break from getting beat every play. watch what happens when we spread it out and let him loose. It's going to be sean alexanders mvp year, but better.

Yeah, I had huge expectations under Saunders. Still believe that we never saw the full potential of his offense. His track record was spotless with the number one offense (better than the Colts and other high-flying offenses) in almost all relevant categories with Chiefs, who didn't necessarily even have that high talent at key positions (Green wasn't an all-pro till Saunders, little to speak of at WRs, undrafted guys like Priest Holmes tearing up the league).

Wanted to give Saunders one more shot this year with him having true full control of his offense without Gibbs' suggestions or philosophy and having more trust in JC to run the offense.

However, our personnel really seem to suit the WCO better. Zorn is enthusiastic to implement the system and they have good guys in place. The offseason is the time for high expectations. If you don't expect the team to make the playoffs, then you have little to look forward to.

I also wanted to give Saunders a shot after Gibbs screwed up his playbok and made Al ineffective every game. He was never given a shot here and I think he will do very well with his new team. But, Dang!, I am happy to have Zorn coaching and Vinny finally being able to control things. It just shows how out of touch Gibbs really was. I love JG but I just hope he does not try to ruin things for Zorn through his friendship with Danny. The future looks great now and we have the right tools for the right system and our feature back will be getting more yards than ever while our feature WR breaks records for touchdowns and receiving yards, all set up by some tall route running WR's that we have have been lacking for years. Our punting situation just got alot better and we got a young QB that can backup JC for years and lead us if JC falters or gets hurt. We got a steal in Rinehart. Could you ask for much more?

Archived