Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adams and Westbrook way too similar.

Art

Originally posted by GURU

Atlanta, I'm sure that you are misreading a lot of stuff that's been flying around.

Good of you to look out for me. I'll just take notes while you lead the way.

Very few teams expressed interest in Bledsoe? Are you kidding? A lot of teams were interested in the guy. But most of them weren't willing to take on his contract.

...and weren't willing to throw in a #1 pick in addition to the contract. Which means they weren't interested, after confirming that Buffalo wouldn't drop its demand for a #1 pick.

While Sam Adams himself said that Marvin Lewis has been in contact with him peridically, that's hardly the same as saying Lewis has been working the phones all off-season. Most earlier reports suggested that Lewis and other previous coaches had some problems with Adams. Nothing Adams said to the Post changes my mind about that, either.

Here we have the spectacle of an irresistible force meeting an unmovable object. And the verdict: the unmovable object wins.

And yes, Adams said he was interested in playing for a contender, but he also qualified that by saying he would rather sit out the season than play for less than what he thinks he's worth. That's hardly the sentiment of a player with a burning desire to compete.

Right you are, mister. I remember when Riggins sat out the 1980 season. Right then I said to myself, "That guy just does not have a burning desire to compete."

As for anyone wanting to make as much money as possible, well, don't presume to speak for me. Quality of the work environment is more important to me than the bottom line. I would most definately consider taking less money to work at a place or a job that offers a more fullfilling atmosphere. Just look at Darrell Green.

This is just a guess, but having 300-pound men punch me in the chest and cut my legs every week for half a year doesn't qualify for a fulfilling work environment. If I can get someone to pay me a few million dollars more to endure the punishment, I'm going to do that. Not to the point of playing for a loser team, but I'll surely wait for the contending teams to step forward with their best and final offer.

So yeah, I feel comfortable criticizing Adams for his attitude.

That's big of you. When was the last time you were punched in the chest and had your legs cut 60 times a day by 300-pound men?

ASF-

Your frequent arguments are getting more inane, even as they multiply. You argue that he should get what he can. Fine, but we're certainly not obligated to pay it. So that leaves us back where we started: Do we want him, and for what price?

The last thing we need here is another high-priced malcontented, injury-prone clubhouse lawyer. I'm sure that you can agree with that. At least Stubblefield was a playmaker when he was named Defensive Player of the Year in 1997, the year before we signed him. Adams has never, never been a playmaker. He's been at his best when his assignment has been simply to take up space and occupy as many blockers as possible to allow the stars behind him to make plays. Yes, that would work here, and yes it would be with the same D-coordinator, but it doesn't mean that we should pay him the same money as our playmakers Trotter and Arrington and Bailey.

That, plus the apparently much higher priority that he's placing on getting paid over winning (he has after all already won a Super Bowl with Baltimore) is certainly cause to hesitate over signing him to the money he's asking for.

Archived