Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins and Vickers close to a deal.

Rat_Boy

The harm I see is that he isn't very good and at 32 hes not going to get any better...he'll be taking practice time and possibly a roster spot away from a young guy who could turn into something....Hopefully its for the vet minimum and once the staff sees he sucks they can cut him with no damage.

I'm going to take the opposite viewpoint for a moment here. The fact that we're signing backups may simply mean that one of the guys we already have is viewed as starting quality. Less rosey but still promising is that it could mean that the coaches like our crop of guards and believe that one of them will show himself to be the starter come the end of training camp. We'll see.

So, let's review. Just who are the guards we have in camp that will vie for the starting LG spot.

Guards:

Brandt - 2nd Year - Michigan

Loverne - 3rd Year - San Jose St.

Leon Hires ® - Florida

Wayne Smith ® - Applachian State

Akil Smith ® - Clemson

Tackles:

Ron Boldin ® - Florida State

Scott Harper ® - Marshall

Terrance Simmons - 2nd Year - Alabama State

Alex Sulfsted - 2nd Year - Miami OH

Ross Tucker - 2nd Year - Princeton

Melvin Paige ® - South Carolina

Reggie Coleman ® - Tenn

I see a whole lot of "R"s on this list. And... I don't see alot of men who faced top competition in college other than Coleman.. Paige... and Hires. Plus, I see more Tackles being converted to guards than true guards.

If Vickers add some vet experience, and he can fill in a pinch, then I guess for Vet minnimum is alright with me.

Problem is, if you want depth, why get a 32 year old, at best mediocre player? why not fill the spot with a developing youngster?

And Vickers is definately mediocre. as I mentioned in a post somewhere, he was with the Colts before manning arrived. Remember how pathetic the colts were before Manning? that's how they got Manning.

And everyone knows what a wonderful job he did for the skins.......

You can say "yea but the Ravens won the super bowl". my counterpoint is they won it with super defense and a limited offense.

I look at it that if they are bringing in Vickers, they don't like what they have. If they did, they wouldn't even be interested. Between Ross Tucker, Sulfsted, Brandt, Loverne, Reggie Coleman, etc. , if they want to bring in Vickers, it's not a good sign.

I also see it interesting in that Spurrier like to pass. Vickers pass protection is suspect if you remember his paly against Tampa.

Good graphic there CSkin. I was wondering who all was at Redskins Park these days.

Vickers isn't close to what we wanted, but is close to what we need, depth and that's it. Ray Brown with Vickers, (interesting, 2 former Skins coming back to better situation than before). I see the implications and Brown has already publicly stated he wants to be with the Skins. Fine, sign him after the physical. Ditto, for Vickers (should be inked by supper time tonight).

Adams will take some time, but they should be talking by Wednesday evening and Snyder, Mendes and Lewis, I am sure are all going to be there. Mendes should be with Vickers tonight.

Archived